main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Across the Stars and Swan Lake

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by BobaFrank, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I was just watching the movie Billy Elliot and there's a part where his teacher explains the story behind "Swan Lake" which I thought was very similar in scope to Padme and Anakin's story. If you listen to "Across the Stars" and "Swan Lake" and know each story, they are very similar. Both have that haunting, tragic feel to them, and the cords are nearly the same.

I wonder if JW took inspiration from Swan Lake?

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    That's kind of an odd/ironic/coincidental comparison, because two of my friends who aren't into Star Wars nearly as much as me (but think they're fun movies), they both say that the beginning of the ATS suite "sounds like Swan Lake or something". And it's not like they're into film music scores at ALL, it's just like a general comparison they made.

Weird, eh?

3. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    Man, that is weird. It may be more than a coincidence.

4. Spirit-of-Kenobi

Spirit-of-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2003
    I have thought the same thing as well. In addition, I have always thought that JW was extremely inspired by Tchaikovsky's overall work when he scored ESB. Probably why Empire is my favorite score of the episodes.

5. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    What is the story behind Swan Lake?

6. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    If I heard right, its about a young princess who is enslaved by an evil magician. Every night for a couple of hours she is set free but has to return. A young prince comes to her rescue and promises to marry her. She falls in love with him, but the tragedy is that he never marries her and she eventually dies alone.

I'm sure you all can connect the dots with Padme and Anakin's relationship in this story.

Also, if you watch the 1931 version of Dracula with Bela Lugosi the movie starts off with Swan Lake. Dracula in essence is a tragic love story too.

7. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Nice comparison. I've never thought of the connection before, but now that it's mentioned, the two do start off with very similar emotions.

I love the two scenes where Swan Lake is used in Billy Elliot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.