main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben-Solo, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    This right here is the issue i think Kylo has in the 1st and 2nd panel. he is conflicted and it comes out in a way thats described here. his tantrums are more an effect of feeling small, powerless and weak.

Also explains the difference between him and Vader in the 3rd panel.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Interesting how both Hux and Kylo end up killing their tormentors. [face_thinking]

lovethedarkside and chrcharcor2 like this.
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This is good. I wish the ST had given us more like this.

godisawesome likes this.
  4. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011

Well, at least it's slightly more interesting motivation than "evil Kylo is randomly killing people left and right for no apparent reasons". Doesn't it also kinda imply that he will accidentally unleash Palpatine rather than looking for him, knowing he was alive all along? [face_thinking]

5. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/marvels-age-of-resistance-kylo-ren-exclusive-preview
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More from Soule's The Rise of Kylo Ren miniseries.
    First issue comes out on December 4. Soule also warned that some choices might be "controversial" but doesn't specify for who?
    - Ben's apprenticeship under Luke and the events leading up to the night he destroyed Luke's temple and killed half the students.
    - KOR are basically Inquisitors 2.0 and the way he talks about them doesn't make me think they're Luke's former students but I could be wrong.
    - His training under Snoke but probably more in-depth than the AOR Snoke issue.
    - The SG seems to have given him bullet points about Kylo Ren's story in TROS and where he ends up at the end of the saga since they're even checking dialogue to make it fit with the movie.
    https://www.cbr.com/the-rise-of-kylo-ren-new-details-fan-expo/

During the Publishing in Star Wars panel of Fan Expo Toronto, writer Charles Soule (Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith) revealed new details about his upcoming and highly anticipated four-issue Marvel Comics series The Rise of Kylo Ren, which debuts on Dec. 4.

Soule described the comic as the origin story of the Kylo Ren that we see in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, or as he playfully called it, "From Ben to Ren." He confirmed that the series would deal with his apprenticeship under Luke Skywalker and the events leading up to the night he destroyed the Jedi Temple.

"You know, Ben Solo is tragic," Soule said. "The potential of him from the day he was born, everyone around him saw or thought they saw what he could be. So he was put in all these different paths, and we've kind of seen how that's gone wrong in the films so far. This is a story about Ben Solo, understanding some of the choices he made."

Other plot points that Soule mentioned are the mysterious Knights of Ren, who have been off-screen for two entire films, but whom Kylo Ren commands.

He couldn't guarantee that the readers would feel any affection for them, although he was doing everything in his power to write them as realistically as possible. "They're not good people," Soule said, "but they're people."

The way he described them sounded a lot like the treatment he gave to the Inquisitors in Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith. The Inquisitors are a team of Dark Side users, not full-fledged Sith, whose mission consists of tracking down and eliminating any Jedi survivors and fetching Force-sensitive babies and children to be raised under the shadow of the Empire. All of them were evil, but each of these characters was also distinctively memorable with very human reactions, desires, and fears.

It makes sense, because Soule also mentioned he was chosen to write The Rise of Kylo Ren because of his work on Dark Lord of the Sith, and with the five-issue Star Wars: Anakin and Obi-Wan, that also dealt with the formative Jedi years of Kylo's grandfather.

The common thread in the three stories is obvious: young men dealing with a radical change of their identity at the same time they have to face challenges set by their mentors. In Anakin and Obi-Wan, Anakin comes to realize what it really means to be a Jedi and all the things that he traded for it: a trade-off he wasn't fully conscious of at the time he left with Qui-Gon Jinn, because he was only 9 years old. In Dark Lord of the Sith, Darth Vader has to learn how to be Darth Vader, and more importantly, how to let go of everything that Anakin was and that Anakin loved.

"I can't think of another one that's so absolutely walled off from his past to become somebody totally new… he's not like, 'Oh, yeah, I used to be that…' it's just like that person didn't exist," Soule explained. "Which is strange, because it is him, he has the memories, he hasn't forgotten Padme, it's just that that person is just dead."

Finally, The Rise of Kylo Ren will also deal with Ben Solo's training under Snoke, which was recently explored in Star Wars: Age of Resistance -- Supreme Leader Snoke #1, and it was nothing short of brutal. However, Soule will probably take a different approach, more character-driven than action-packed, as he did in his previous works.

When a fan asked him about the specifics of working on Star Wars for a character as important as Kylo Ren, Soule admitted he felt the pressure and that some of his choices might be considered controversial by some fans.

"You know, sometimes Star Wars stories are like telling a great story and having a great time playing in this sandbox," he said. "And other times, Star Wars jobs are like 'OK, we'll give you an incredibly key piece of the overall mythology that you have to nail.' You guys would not be very happy with me if I screw this up. And everyone here might not be very happy with the choices that I made."

However, he then explained that he didn't do that kind of storytelling all by himself: not only did he get a series of bullet points from the filmmakers of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker about where the character's story was going to be at the end of the saga, but his outline and dialogue had to be submitted to the Lucasfilm Story Group, who vet every detail of every story that takes place within the Star Wars Universe.

"Any significant change in Star Wars, that isn't just a little shade of a character that we know really well, it's vetted to make sure that it feels like Star Wars, that it fits within the Star Wars Universe, that it balances within the story universe, and that isn't in conflict with the Story Group. So you're in this weird game of chess with invisible chess players, you can't see the moves, and the only people who have a sense of the board, are not really playing it with the story.
    I'm kinda anxious because that seems to be A LOT of MAJOR plot points to explore in a 4-issue comic miniseries. I personally hope TROS will actually address some of those in the movies, even if it's just one scene, I want to understand his motivations. Why did he chose Snoke over his family? Why does he venerate Vader this much? What's the deal about "finishing what Vader started'?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  6. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: THE RISE OF KYLO REN #1 (OF 4)
    CHARLES SOULE (W) • WILL SLINEY (A)
    COVER BY CLAYTON CRAIN
    VARIANT COVER BY CARMEN CARNERO
    ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    MOVIE VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
    WITH BEN SOLO’S FALL… COMES KYLO REN’S RISE!
    Young Ben Solo is legendary Jedi Luke Skywalker’s most promising pupil. As the son of Rebel Alliance heroes Leia Organa and Han Solo, as well as Luke’s own nephew, Ben has the potential to be a great force for light in the galaxy. But the Skywalker legacy casts a long shadow, the currents of the dark side run deep, and Darth Vader’s blood runs in Ben’s veins. Voices call from both his past and his future, telling him who he must be. He will shatter, he will be reforged, his destiny will be revealed. Snoke awaits. The Knights of Ren await. Ben Solo’s path to his true self begins here.
    40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2019 Lucasfilm Ltd.

"Voices from both his past and his future", could this mean that Ben had visions of Rey hence the "it is you"? It also reminds me of the voices from the world between worlds.[face_thinking]
    The first issue comes out on December 18, meaning it could have very spoilery information since this is the same day the movie is released in some countries. Also, this kinda hint that the KOR already exist before his fall to the darkside. Maybe the other students who went with him ended up there as well. Will there be more KOR than the movie suggests? My guess is that the "controversial" choices that Soule mentioned will be all about the circumstances before the temple's destruction. And judging by the strong reactions about this character in here, maybe making Ben Solo/Kylo Ren a character with a more sympathetic backstory? His relationship with Luke, the other students, how did Snoke contact him? Did Luke thought Snoke was someone benevolent? So many questions. "True self" also seems to be a very intentional reference to Luke in RotJ, could be hinting at his redemption in TROS, hence the similarity in the titles.

7. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    I love both covers! And I can’t wait for both. Luckily, one is coming real soon.

@Ancient Whills, I tend to think Kyle knew about “a girl” before TFA, hence his reaction. And I’m pretty sure WBW is going to play into IX.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  8. jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2019
    That's likely where Palpatine was transported too after he fell into the reactor shaft. It could also explain the force flashes.

If Kylo really did know about Rey before TFA, I hope this film explains that once and for all.

lovethedarkside likes this.
  9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I doubt Ben knew Rey. Sounds rather hard to grasp at this point with what we know

10. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    He recognizes her in TFA, so he knew something about her at the very least.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    Well I think that's been changed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

12. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Pablo Hidalgo stated that the "it is you" line was referring to the awakening earlier in the movie, though I think there's enough ambiguity to add something similar to the Vader comic which is also from the same writer than the Kylo miniseries so I'm expecting to see a lot of parallels to his Vader run. Meaning, he could see the shape of a woman and a voice but he wouldn't know WHO it will be until TFA.
    [​IMG]

13. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    So... why can't Kylo just get a new helmet, intead of putting together the old one?

14. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    I suspect it’s because the old one contains dark side energy, like Vader’s.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  15. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    That and he isn't sane :p

He is stubborn.

16. jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2019
    Nostalgia.

17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    We’ve heard (and seen glimpses of) what seems to be a ceremonial process of helmet-reforging, with the KoR looking on. So it may be a ritualistic KoR rationale. Like the reforging of Narsil in LOTR. Which would be far more interesting world-building than him just having a new one. Adds culture and interest to the proceedings.

Plus, it’s likely symbolic for his character.

“And all the Knights of Ren couldn’t put Kylo Ren back together again...”

Shades of Humpty Dumpty...

Glued back together, but still broken inside.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  18. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    I still can't comprehend Kylo Ren. Like, really, if they'd show us 5 minutes of how Kylo was that spoiled teenager that lived in Coruscant and got corrupted by night clubs, easy drugs, sex with Twi'leks and criminal business while his rich parents were busy in Senate in the beginning of TFA, i would probably fanboy over him now. At least it is something understandable and his dip**** behavior would make some sense.

More like Edge Lord Energy.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    wobbits likes this.
  19. CleanCode

CleanCode Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 7, 2018
    ^This. And he is indeed kind of stubborn.
    I think we will see him doubling down on the Kylo Ren identity in the first half on TROS. His actions build on what worked for him before he killed his father and Snoke, and that's symbolized by his repaired helmet. In this sense, the helmet stands for what he is meant to be, i.e. his future persona from Kylo's POV. His transformation was only interrupted, not stopped by the events of TFA and TLJ. So reforging the helmet does not necessarily contradict his "let the past die" mantra.

20. Turinsd00m

Turinsd00m Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't so LF could use some unused TFA or TLJ footage that contains both a helmeted Kylo and Leia in-shot. It wouldn't be that difficult for them to use CGI to make Kylo's helmet in the old footage appear shattered and it would give them a chance to actually showcase more of Carrie's work. They would just have to write a reason for the repair into the story, and like Bor Mullet said above, it has the potential for some really interesting world building.

21. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    Concussion protocol, he should be made to get a new one,lol

22. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.empireonline.com/movies...walker-rey-kylo-ren-complicated-relationship/

[​IMG]
    Speaking to Empire in the world exclusive Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker issue, co-writer Chris Terrio opened up about the complex bond between the trilogy’s Force-sensitive duo. “Some of the most interesting scenes in The Last Jedi are the conversations between Rey and Ren,” he said, noting the different side of Ben Solo that Rey is able to tap into. "We’ve tried to pick up that complicated relationship that really has been present ever since the interrogation in Episode VII. When Ren takes off his mask, there’s a nakedness about him with Rey that he doesn’t express to anyone else. Rian developed that in fascinating ways and we’ve been able to develop it even further.”

Krueger and milena like this.
  23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    ^ Someone's got bad breath.

24. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    milena and jeangreyforever like this.
  25. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Remember when some people were like "the mask is back, that means he's not getting redeemed, right?"

[​IMG]

milena and jeangreyforever like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.