main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben-Solo, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    God I hope so. Besides the clone wars all of the other upcoming projects seem to be shifting away from Darkside vs lightside battles and lightsaber fights. Don't get me wrong, Mandalorians and smugglers are awesome but in my opinion the the heart of Star War's and what attracks me to the franchise is the Jedi and their Darkside counterparts Sith/Knights of Ren or whatever they want to call themselves.

Blobofat, oncafar and Darth_Bertie like this.
  2. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Oh I think the GoT creators' batch of films will have a light vs. dark battle with Force users! Just a hunch, but I expect we're in for some "knights" of some kind in their story.

3. dlbates

Nov 30, 2014
    This might be picky but I hope they don't go so far back they are using vibroblades instead of lightsabers.

Rodie and Blobofat like this.
  4. dlbates

Nov 30, 2014
    I'm predicting the resistance hasn't really had any impact on the first order since Crait and Ren has had alot of time on his hands to grow stronger. I think he spent alot of his time exploring the force and the Darkside. I can see him exploring the unknown regions for answers and studying past knowledge from previous Sith and force users. He will be extremely powerful in episode 9.

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think this is right. He’s also going to be visually very different, I think. Possibly even fully cloaked in a Palpatine sort of way.

dlbates likes this.
  6. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    I don't think he'll be cloaked. He finally got de-masked. I don't see why he'd want to cover himself up again. When he de-masked himself, it represented a freeing of who he really is.

RiddleMeThis likes this.
  7. dlbates

Nov 30, 2014
    I agree. It will be a way to show the audience he is on Palpatines level now. Maybe not in the force but in control of the galaxy.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. SKYGUY23

SKYGUY23 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2014
    New Smooth blade and completed hilt

9. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    Given a recent rumor about Palpatine in 9, what are the chances we see Kylo with some kind of Sith holocron or hologram recording of the Emperor, and he's watching/listening to it as some kind of ceremony or way to commune with the dark side. Similar to how he spoke to Vader's helmet in TFA, maybe he's listening to the words and teaching of Palpatine in 9. With Snoke dead, it's plausible he seeks wisdom from past dark side masters.

I'd love to see McDiarmid back for a cameo like this! If we see Palpatine in a recording, and then Anakin very briefly in a dream or vision Kylo has, that'll go a long way to wrapping up the saga, tying in all 9 movies, which is JJ's task with this final chapter...

I think having a Palpatine cameo is too much temptation for JJ to resist.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  10. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Within limits; and those limits are set below his real potential.

After killing Han, TFA script says: 'Kylo Ren is somehow weakened by this wicked act. Himself horrified'

In some ways, TFA is to Ben/Kylo what ROTJ had been to Luke. Luke was tempted to kill Vader; Ben/Kylo was tempted not to kill Han. Luke passed his test and became greater, Ben/Kylo failed his and became smaller ('weaker')

He says to Snoke: 'Ive given everything I have to you. To the dark side'

By the end of TLJ its clear that he hasnt found a way to trascend his own weakness and that he will never be 'free'. The unremorseful, pure evil, undivided state of mind of Snoke and Palpatine is out of his reach. Luke: 'I will always be with you just like your father'

Hell always be a second rate Kylo Ren; but he can still be a first rate ben Solo.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  11. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Ian McDiarmid's performances have always been enthralling, it didn't matter how bad the dialogue was he was always fantastic to watch. The only way he could come into IX is through a flash back, may be Luke tells Rey about him and how he was unrepentant to the end. It could open the door then to Anakin appearing, he was repentant and chose to take a different path in the end, the right path and it could be used to symbolise Ben's possibilities.

Luke could use Palpatine's relationship with Anakin as an example to Rey, it seems kind of pointless for it to be an example for Kylo now he's killed Snoke.

12. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    What about a sith holocron or hologram recording of Palpatine? If Kylo has Vader's charred helmet from Endor, why couldn't he have gotten from Coruscant or some Imperial stronghold some recordings of the Emperor? I'd like to see that, and therefore a new performance from McDiarmid, and what effect that has on Kylo in a scene.

I'd rather see that then a flashback with Luke talking about the Emperor, which in that case could basically reuse some ROTJ outtakes.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  13. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Honestly, I'm not for fan service cameos. Too many cooks in the kitchen and all that. Same goes for Anakin, Wedge, etc. Let's keep the final cast on the less bloated with superfluous appearances. Maybe simplicity is better.

dlbates likes this.
  14. dlbates

Nov 30, 2014
    To much clutter takes away from the stories that need to be told in this trilogy. They need to focus on Ren, Rey, Leia (as much as possible), Hux, Poe, Chewy and Finn. Rey VS Ren, Leia and Ben Solo and Hux VS Poe/Finn. Throw some cool Chewy and Lando sequences in there. That sounds like a solid movie to me.

Birkendoc likes this.
  15. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    [​IMG]

There's no superfluity here. Wedge brings a legacy: rebel, hero, leader, friend, survivor. Bring on Wedge Antilles.

Krueger likes this.
  16. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    Will Kylo think he doesn't have to learn from any other dark side knowledge in 9? Will he be supremely confident as supreme leader? Or will he still seek out inspiration from Vader and perhaps Sidious? Some kind of potential appearance by Vader, Anakin or Palpatine could play into Kylo's character development, and not just be simple fan service.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    lovethedarkside and RiddleMeThis like this.
  17. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    His "let it all die" speech included the Sith which makes me think he might be going forward as supreme leader on his own.

18. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    The story going around about a Kylo Ren joke in Wreck it Ralph not being allowed because lucasflm were not fond of the depiction of Kylo as a spoilt child is quite funny, since i feel like thats how the character comes across at times in this new trilogy.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  19. RiddleMeThis

Dec 7, 2017
    I never saw Ben as a "spoiled child" and I'm pleased to hear that LFL apparently doesn't support this interpretation. I would absolutely disagree with such a depiction. I believe he was manipulated from an early age by Snoke and the resulting anger issues were what caused him to get sent away from home by his parents, not entitlement. Leia would be the first in line to call out her son on being a brat if it were true but there's zero indication that she considers him one. Kylo is depicted to have very few material possessions; his rooms on the Finalizer and the Supremacy are almost completely bare and the TFA novelization makes it clear that it's a personal choice for him to own minimal things. You'd think a spoiled person would readily take advantage of his obvious power and surround himself with luxury, but he doesn't. I never understood the "spoiled brat" claim at all and incidentally seems to mostly come from people who also view the character as irredeemably bad.

PantherEyes, milena and NileQT87 like this.
  20. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Maybe not full-on bratishness, but there is a high level of entitlement there ("That lightsaber, it belongs to me!").

21. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    He's a spoiled child, he's just not after material things...but he is after power. If his fall was all Snokes doing then he could've walked away after said darksiders death. Instead he chose to continue into darkness by trying to wipe out the very resistance his mother was apart of along with Luke and Rey.

Lucas film not wanting their primary villain mocked by wreck-it Ralph before the final film makes sense...as otherwise people would be unlikely to take him seriously at a time when he needs to come across as a credible final antagonist.

22. RiddleMeThis

Dec 7, 2017
    These traits exist in other characters that don't get criticized in nearly the same way. Han for example took the Falcon back from Rey and Finn then prepared to dump them on a random planet. But when Kylo tries to take back a family heirloom from an outsider, he's a spoiled brat.

lovethedarkside and milena like this.
  23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    On the topic of the Falcon, who thinks Ben will get to fly it in IX?

24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I've been saying from day one that I would love to see this.

25. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Yes he is...because Han is not willingly part of the First Order, like Kylo Ren...who is also on record for throwing temper tantrums when things don't go his way. Then there's the fact he demanded that 'Family Heirloom' back....after killing his own father and doing everything in his power to sever his family ties. Calling him a brat and spoiled is not the result of one single event that we've seen on screen...it's the impression given after taking in EVERYTHING we've seen him do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.