main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben-Solo, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jujukane

jujukane Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 20, 2016
    I'm not sure that Kylo is truly so weak.
    He is insecure because he BELIEVES to be weak. Because he has still Love for his parents for example. But who in hell has told him its a weakness to Love family? I know Vader "failed" because of it but why does Kylo think that this is so terrible? Is bringing order really so damn important? More than loving mother and father? I mean wtf?

2. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    I guess once he's already fully-embraced the darkside, his "destiny", sure, Vader's "stronger" as a person than his grandkid. He's certainly of a more singular mind about things. But I guess even when it comes right down to it that's weakness too, that whole "there's nothing left for me, and I know Sheev's played me by now, so screw it, let's go murderously take over all known space" thing. :p "If I can't be with Padme, if she's supposedly destined to die if I stay a decent person...DIE, SIX YEAR OLDS!"

I guess at least Ben's...deep down been holding onto this sliver of hope that he's not as bad a dude as he's tried to convince himself he is? I guess that's a positive? Haha. [face_laugh] They're still pretty scummy dudes though.

Kenobi, there's a guy of character. And even then he's kind of a manipulative little **** in his old age. :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  3. Darth Gummybear

Darth Gummybear Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2016
    I agree that Kylo is not weak, but believes he is due to his pull to the light. He believes attachment, compassion and sentiment/love are weaknesses, and if he has any remnants of them, he is weak.

I think at this point, the best answer we have as to why he believes this is in Snoke’s conversation with him in the TFA novel (which is not in the film). It helps provide some context to Kylo’s misguided “philosophy,” obviously influenced by Snoke.

This is part of the Snoke and Kylo conversation in the novel:

4. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    That and Vader was scared of the emperor, if it weren't for his son being killed he would of died under Palpatine. He also underestimated himself. Ren at least had alot of balls. He took out Snoke eventhough according to the novel he was scared $%*less of his guards. He also step up to what he thought was Luke Skywalker after watching every single cannon the First Order had fire at him with no impact. I'd say Ren is insecure but he definitely has his dad's nerve.

Mila Lazarus likes this.
  5. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    I don't know it was even "fear" of Sheev from Vader by then, more just a personal acceptance that he's given his life over decades ago to the guy and all he was at that point was a servant. He probably didn't really care what Palpatine did to him by then, but Vader was all-consumed with the darkside by that point and all he really had was being the terrifying errand-boy. He'd just run with that.

6. jujukane

Aug 20, 2016
    Its just, um, the galaxy HAD a new order, a pretty good one, and Kylos own mother was one of the builders and leaders UNTIL the FO DESTROYED it all. Do you feel better NOW, Kylo? Why helping bring back the empire at all cost when "sentiment" destroyed it so easily anyways? It makes zero sense to me.

He could have kept his whole sentiment he seems to fear so much breaking its way out of him by helping his mother instead to lead as good as possible. Why in hell side with the FO and kill all sentiment? I dont get it.

Is it because Leia was thrown out of the Senate? He wanted revenge for that? Soooo many questions.

Or did he get the Impression that Leia didnt want his help at all when she sent him to Luke? Man, this is complicated stuff.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    All it would have taken was for Luke to sit down with Ben and tell him the story. Unfortunately Snoke got to him first.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It would have been just plain terrific if ANY of this was said/shown in the actual films, themselves. :p

9. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    That would just make to much sense. It seems like they wanted to keep all of this a mystery so they can make surprises later on in the movies or pump out more content in other forms of media for people to buy. You wanna know the whole story? It'll cost ya.....

10. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Congratulations you've put more thought of a certain depth into the natural character of Kylo/Ben than the actual filmmakers have. Too bad they didn't. Great concept and character design for sure.

I think 9 has to see the Kylo mystery box fully unwrapped. What was he seeking originally in the dark side, what motivated him to turn on Luke, what does he want now, what's his endgame? This will make 9 even more of Kylo's film than TLJ was. I can't imagine Rey's narrative competing favorably with what's required to be going on with Kylo in order to make 9 even remotely interesting.

godisawesome likes this.
  11. jujukane

Aug 20, 2016
    Unless Kylos original motivation had something to do with what happened to Rey. Thats exactly why I believe it has. You have to round the story and add some deep drama otherwise its just "wut"?

12. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Kylos character needs to be unraveled abit. to give more insight into what makes him tick.

Ray probably needs some explanation also. some overall importance explained for her role in the saga would be helpful

JJ clearly wanted a mystery box. Rian didn't want the mystery box and wanted to move away from that expectation

BalanceOfTheForce and RetropME like this.
  13. jujukane

Aug 20, 2016
    Imo Rian just wanted to muddy the water a bit. I think the mystery boxes will be resolved in 9.

14. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    What's Kylo Ren's story going to be in Ep. IX? I'm guessing: 1) He'll obviously be trying to snuff out the last of the Resistance. 2) He might be a little darker and more ruthless after being rebuffed by Rey and surrounded by people he doesn't respect. 3) He'll be betrayed by Hux. 4) More will be revealed about his backstory. 5) He's possibly redeemed, or at least tries to stop Hux from doing something. 6) He possibly dies.

15. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    I just learnt that Ben Solo’s first name was chosen after Harrison Ford’s son... I thought Leia and Han had chosen this name in reference to Ben Kenobi, but according to Pablo Hidalgo, the first draft of TFA referenced this character with another first name. Ford couldn’t relate to it hough, so he asked for Han’s son to be named after his own boy... I think it’s a lovely story, and it also made me realize why I refused the idea that Ben was unredeemable and had to die...

Kylo is not a villain who seems to come from nowhere like all the previous villains of SW (except Vader of course). He’s Han and Leia’s unique son... Han and Leia always were my favorite characters of the saga, I am dearly attached to them, so I don’t want their son to end up evil at 30 years old and unredeemable for life, or worse, dead, without being given at least a chance to correct the **** he has done, make the good thing (like blowing up the FO from the inside) and start all over again after a long period of forced or self exile. Han sacrified his life for his son’s sake... if Kylo definitely kills Ben and becomes just another Sidious figure, then Han’s dead for nothing; that I’m not ready to accept. He wasn’t born evil, he became evil after being stalked and tempted by Snoke; he still can go the other way. The door’s not completely closed.

I wouldn’t care very much about him if he was an anonymous villain. I don’t even care for the conservation of the Skywalker bloodline, but it would really sadden me if Leia had kept hope and Han given his life for nothing.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  16. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Its a nice story, but in universe, its still weird that Leia and Han named their kid after a character Leia never met in person and Han didn't particularly like that much, not to mention, his real name wasn't even Ben.

But I guess you can always say that Leia and Han simply really liked that name...

17. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I just read an article that stated a rumor that Han would be in Ep. 9. I hope this is true. A flashback could provide more backstory for Kylo, which is needed at this point.

Prime Jedi likes this.
  18. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    Yeah, I'm more and more expecting at least one flashback scene in IX, where we will see Ben as a young boy with his parents. Perhaps even the moment when they bring him to Luke. And then maybe some scenes of Ben and Luke training together. Maybe even scene or two with the other students, who will later become the Knights of Ren.

I think it would really help the character of Kylo Ren if we could see his younger years in the movie.

19. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Always wondered what other names were considered for Ben...

20. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I suppose Darth would have been in poor taste.

Prime Jedi likes this.
  21. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    What about Cliegg?

Prime Jedi likes this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Slappy Wannanappy

Prime Jedi likes this.
  23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    they should have named him, Plaqueis the wise,

Darth Smurf and Prime Jedi like this.
  24. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Deadline - ‘BlacKkKlansman’s Adam Driver Stands By Childhood Ku Klux Klan Recollection; How ‘Star Wars’ Is Like Theater Work

Prime Jedi, Mila Lazarus and MrDarth0 like this.
  25. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Ken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.