main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't know what you're getting at. My point is Anakin wiped out the Jedi at that Temple on faith that Palpatine would teach him how to save Padme, but at that time had not received any training from Palpatine.

It could be the same with Kylo, where he turns on the Jedi to prove himself to Snoke, but had not received any training.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2. WhyKnock

WhyKnock Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2016

I understand now. Anakin actually thought in that moment he was doing the 'right' thing wiping out the Jedi. By then his world had been turned upside down. He was the only Jedi who didn't in his mind betray the rightful ruler of the Republic.

I don't think it was the promise of training exactly but the promise that Palpatine would help him keep Padme alive is what he wanted. The irony is Anakin wasn't wise enough to realize that Padme would be on Palpatine's list of "Liabilities" where Anakin was #1 on the "Great Asset" list.

As to the other question, Palpatine admitted he didn't know how as only one has ever "cheated death". It's implied to be Plagueis until you realize that Palpatine specifically said he taught his apprentice everything he knew. Since Palpatine never directly lies it's safe to assume he was telling the truth.

What he did say was "If we work together I know we can discover the secret."

I believe that the buildup to Anakin being 'the one' was that he could do things that Palpatine could not. Unfortunately the Jedi probably never bothered to tell Anakin that.

Now, Padme's "broken heart" related death that was specifically timed to Vader's 'birth' in the editing said to me from the first viewing that something was amiss there. Again, Palpatine doesn't lie exactly "In your anger you killed her". Mix that with the latest Aftermath book's confirmation that the Sith could steal the force from others to prolong their lives. (also read the Retrozap "Padme didn't die of a broken heart piece. It's fascinating.)

I'm fairly certain that is how Anakin was able to survive and is why nothing could stop him from dying at the end of ROTJ. When he let go of his hate he also let go of the dark side which was what was used to keep himself alive artificially.

Personally I'd like to think that in that moment Anakin and Padme joined with the force together.

In the case of Kylo Ren, it seems like there is a very major thing he wanted bad enough to join Snoke. And that is still a mystery.

3. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    The First Order's rise coincided with Snoke's seduction of Ren. So what did Snoke seduce him with?

If we look at the two sides of the conflict and how they got where the were the situation like looks this.

The new Republic failing at the peace. With the Sith vanquished (presumably) and a new Jedi order forming, you would think that the Republic held all the cards to enable them to keep order and maintain unity in the galaxy, if it so desired. Was Luke motivated or prepared to impose a pax Republicana in an old Jedi order manner with his new apprentices?

Or did Luke see the failure of the old republic (and the empire) as the entropic result of its efforts to keep the the galaxy together, ultimately leading to its falling apart. I can see Luke adopting this attitude, considering his choice to not join the battle of Endor except to attempt to redeem his father and/or sacrifice himself while keeping the Emperor so focused on his seduction that he cannot influence the battle.

The Republic could be unwilling to exercise any show of force without the support of a Jedi order. Or are perhaps simply unwilling to intervene anywhere outside the new republic at all.

In that case, you can see how a dark side figure and manipulator might mislead a troubled young apprentice emerging from the shadow of his illustrious family. Criticizing their failure to assume total control of the galaxy and impose order but instead settling for a compromised peace. Something that Ben's grandfather would never have allowed. And the situation that has arisen from that is an outlaw militia not officially part of the republic fighting with a First Order whose objective is to secure the galaxy from the anarchy that the republic allows to continue.

Like Anakin, Ben's perception of his right to wield his power and his potential not to be denied has left him vulnerable to being tempted with promises of succeeding where his parents failed, no matter who gets hurt in the process. Without sentimentality. Vader almost achieved this but his flaw was to not have the strength to resist his son's compassion in the end.

I think that Kylo has been strung along to believe that his grandfather's plan was to secure the galaxy and that he only has to prove his strength in resisting the compassion for others in order to "finish what [he] started". It's why I believe that Ren's overtures to his father of being confused about his destiny are true, but he just cannot accept that the path that he has chosen is the wrong one and that he has failed like his grandfather.

At the moment he takes the supposed final step though, his instant regret is palpable. Ren's story from here on out is how he lives with that mistake. It has the potential to make him a considerably more dangerous character. No longer idealistic, but consumed with self loathing that must be directed somewhere.

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  4. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    After reading the post above me, an oddly conceived thought popped into my head...

What if Snoke somehow convinced Kylo that Luke had murdered and betrayed someone.... What if Snoke told Kylo, Luke murdered and betrayed Vader, his grandfather. And destroyed the Emperor and Empire. With the failures of a New Republic mounting up, perhaps Kylo started to see Luke and the New Republic as an enemy to the order of the galaxy that the Empire once secured.

Again knowing Kylo felt abandoned/betrayed/ashamed of his Father, and wanting desperately to connect to the memory of his grandfather, this might have jolted/darkened him a bit. Also, perhaps, Leia and Han lied to Ben at first. Deciding not to tell him about Vader, maybe repeating the lie Obi-Wan Kenobi told Luke in ANH... "Vader betrayed and murdered your (grand)Father"

5. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    The thing about the Empire was that it was considered evil only by those that were pushed aside at the time of its forming, particularly the Jedi. Anakin wasn't fooling when he proclaimed his loyalty to the Chancellor, to the senate and the Republic. He was just naive about what the Republic had become under him and why. To most observers, rightly or wrongly, the Empire was the Republic. This new Republic is something else. The Empire is as likely to be seen as having more legitimacy than the new Republic by as many as those who believe that the threat from totalitarianism that Palaptine's regime represented exists in the emergence of the FO who promise security that the Empire "provided".

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  6. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    When you realize that GQ Magazine inadvertently visually spoiler Driver's character lineage over a year before the release of TFA...

[​IMG]

thehighground likes this.
  7. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  8. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Ah yes, Eddie Redmayne, an excellent actor capable of great depth and range who applied those talents to the full when he played the villain of a space-set epic. Jupiter Ascending was truly -

[​IMG]

-... alrighty then...

(I am just kidding of course, he's a fantastic actor and no-one came out the mess called Jupiter Ascending with any credit.)

PCCViking likes this.
  9. WhyKnock

Jul 8, 2016

The First Galactic Empire was merely a much needed reorganization of the failed Republic. For a safe and secure society.

First Order TIE Pilot likes this.
  10. IMightRegretThisUsername

IMightRegretThisUsername Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 19, 2016
    "The idea is those are the ashes of his victims."

Kylo is just so inconsistent. He can be psychopathically sadistic, yet care about his father, whom is not only against him but helping the opposing faction?

When he was interrogating Rey he said that Han Solo, as a father, would've disappointed her. Which means he has some animosity towards his dad for whatever reason. Was that all a show? To a girl he never met?
    That's fine, he cares about his family, no matter what, I guess. But then why does he want to kill his uncle? Technically they both raised him, and they both disappointed him.

I think Kylo is bipolar.

11. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) was amazing, can't wait to see further development of his character. And i hope he'll get a chance to redeem the Dark Side, because at the moment, his defeat is very embarrassing.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  12. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Adam Driver Drives a car which has a USB driver while he's driving..

Pyrogenic and PCCViking like this.
  13. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    The Galactic Empire would never be safe or secure. It was founded through treachery and the blood of innocents. It's leader was a war criminal and a murderer and justice was only served when Anakin Skywalker killed the Emperor on the Death Star .

WhyKnock likes this.
  14. WhyKnock

Jul 8, 2016

It would have been safe and secure if everyone towed the line.

(Also I was saying that in jest)

15. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Yeah I know . I just was re-reading part of the ROTS novelization today and I remembered that line from Obi-Wan's confrontation with Anakin on Mustafar. This was the perfect opportunity to use that line while it was fresh in my head. I could feel the self-righteousness!

WhyKnock likes this.
  16. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015

Kylo seems so caught up in wanting to be like his grandfather that he's forgotten to be himself.

17. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Great character, superb performance. Was in a better movie than everyone else. I almost feel as if the character is double bluffing himself, fulfilling an evil destiny for some larger purpose, and has some super-complex relationship with Luke and Han - who perhaps actually did both fail him quite badly.

Hope he turns back to the light and is with us for Episodes X-XII.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Maybe everyone else already knew this, but I just found out Adam Driver was in the US Marine Corps. And now I have an image in my head of Kylo throwing one of his pouty-angsty temper tantrums and Gunnery Sergeant R Lee Ermy gets up in his face and rips into him in all-out Full Metal Jacket mode. That would be hilarious. [face_laugh]

Well, in my head, it's hilarious.

wobbits, La Calavera, Avnar and 4 others like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Definite testament to Driver's acting abilities. No way in hell would any branch of the military tolerate Kylo Ren behavior. :p

La Calavera, Sarge and MOC Vober Dand like this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Especially the USMC!

21. Darth Jaster

Darth Jaster Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 5, 2017
    I think acting wise Driver portrayed an interesting new villain. I think his outfit is cool. However he was a lot less skilled than I thought he was going to be, and I hope he goes through serious training in the next film. He essentially did a better version of a conflicted Anakin Skywalker, though I don't blame Hayden too much for his Anakin performance. His provided dialogue and acting direction were sandy garbage that even an oscar winner would have great difficulty pulling off.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Mandalore Rising

Mandalore Rising Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 5, 2017
    Have we heard anything about why Kylo is by himself on Starkiller base, and none of the other knights of Ren are there? Maybe Snoke chose this as a test to see how far Kylo would go.

23. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i've read bloodline so my thoughts are affected by that. mainly i thought that the secret that was kept from him ended up being the problem. once it was revealed to the galaxy who leia's father was, it all came together for ben. everything that didn't make sense before was answered; all of his pain explained. and he'd felt so neglected by his parents (they were always so busy). he turned to his grandfather.

24. Azure_Angelus

Azure_Angelus Jedi Master star 1

Sep 13, 2008

Plus, assuming Kylo Ren is the same age as Adam Driver, it fits perfectly.

25. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    What does Kylo's mask do, other than pay homage to his hero: Vader? Does it give him oxygen? Anything?

And, of course, I'm asking in-universe here. I know the mask itself doesn't do anything other than look menacing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.