main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Adding Fonts

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Thane_Kyrell, May 31, 2016.

1. Thane_Kyrell

Thane_Kyrell Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2016
    Is there a way to add a font? I want to add Aurebesh to my signature.

Thanks.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Our font options are only those listed under the "Font Family" dropdown in the rich text posting environment. Since Aurebesh is not unicode (and is indeed a Lucasfilm proprietary creation) it could only be added as a series of images, but images in signatures are disabled. Consequently, there is no way to do so.

3. Thane_Kyrell

May 16, 2016
    Ah ok, thanks. I have the font on my computer I guess copy and paste won't work?

4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Actually, other fonts can be used by editing the raw BBCode and/or by copying and pasting formatted text from another program, such as Microsoft Word. I know I've copied and pasted text in Calibri from Microsoft Word before (this is an example, which will only work if you have Calibri installed on your system). So if you know how to modify the BBCode appropriately, you can theoretically specify any font in existence. The catch is that if the font you name is not installed on the computer/phone/tablet of a person reading it, it will fall back to the reader's browser's default, usually Times New Roman. (The JC Forums default that the vast majority of posts here are in is Helvetica.) In web designing with HTML and CSS, the well-established solution to that catch is to use "font families", where you specify a preferred font followed by a series of increasingly generic fallbacks, usually ending with the ultra-generic "serif" or "sans-serif". However, the BBCode used on the boards does not support font families; instead, only a single font can be named, and if the browser can't find it on the local device, it falls all the way back to its own default.

So you could name that Aurebesh font in the BBCode, and it would work for anyone who has that specific font installed on their computer. Anyone who doesn't would see their browser default (again, often Times New Roman). You might want to ask about the permissibility of including a link to the font in the signature, together with a note to install it if one desires to see the signature "as intended". Many users probably won't, but I imagine some will.

5. Thane_Kyrell

May 16, 2016
    Ok thanks. Little too complicated for me.