main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Adoptions Suggestion Box-currently discussing the adopter "waiting period" issue. Comments welcome!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Stridarious, Feb 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Maybe if there was a list of the newbies with their interests and a little bit about them, it would help the oldbies to choose and vise-versa.

That's true. We discussed this before and thought that newbies maybe afraid to tell (a bit) about themselves when they are new to messagesboards. Don't you think so?

:)

2. Anakins_other_Angel

Anakins_other_Angel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    That's true. We discussed this before and thought that newbies maybe afraid to tell (a bit) about themselves when they are new to messagesboards. Don't you think so?

Yeah, but I mean Star Warsish (I know that's not a word :p) things, like if they're interested or into fanfiction, costumes, or films ect. Something like that. Then the adopter could choose someone with the same interests.

I don't know, I'm still a newbie myself. I'll be quite now. [face_peace]

3. Talonah

Talonah Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 29, 2004
    Star Warsish...interesting choice! :p

I agree with AoA. I wouldn't be afraid to reveal anything about my SW interests. And this is a SW messageboard, why wouldn't you not want to reveal your SW interests?

4. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    Good replies, keep them coming. :D

Sorry 'bout my late reply, I couldn't post earlier because of those stupid board errors.

If there are oldbies who don't want to send the first PM to a newbie for any reasons, they could let the coordinator know. And the coordinater could match these oldbies with newbies one the list.

(Ok, here is to discuss, when these oldbies get matched by the coordinator and how long the other oldbies get the chance to pm the newbie first.)

Good point. There is already the problem that a relatively small group of oldbies is adopting nearly all of the newbies; and then there are quite a few people who have been on the list for ages, but have adopted only once or never. It might be more fair to use the same method of adopting for all - either everyone contacts the newbies directly, or all are paired up by the coordinator. :confused:

I saw those posts and that's why I was speaking of PMs. Instead of a common post a direct contact mostly works better.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. :) And I agree. ;)

>> Maybe if there was a list of the newbies
    >> with their interests and a little bit about them,
    >> it would help the oldbies to choose and vise-versa.

A valid concern; asking for private information is always a touchy subject. Which is why I believe it would be better to let the coordinator ask questions in private, compare the answers to their notes about the free adopters and then choose one with similar interests for the newbie.

"Yeah, but I mean Star Warsish (I know that's not a word :p) things, like if they're interested or into fanfiction, costumes, or films ect. Something like that. Then the adopter could choose someone with the same interests.

Star Warsish - I like the sound of that. ;)

Seriously, I think (hope) that most people would be okay with that kind of question. :)

I wouldn't be afraid to reveal anything about my SW interests. And this is a SW messageboard, why wouldn't you not want to reveal your SW interests?

Good question. ;) We'll find out about that sooner or later anyway, just by looking at the boards you frequent. :p

I don't know, I'm still a newbie myself. I'll be quite now.

Hey, the fact that you're relatively new to the boards doesn't make your post any less valuable than that of an oldbie. :D You might actually be better suited to answer these questions than Skiara or me, since you probably remember what it's like to be new better than we do. ;)

5. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Good point. There is already the problem that a relatively small group of oldbies is adopting nearly all of the newbies; and then there are quite a few people who have been on the list for ages, but have adopted only once or never. It might be more fair to use the same method of adopting for all - either everyone contacts the newbies directly, or all are paired up by the coordinator.

I don't think it would be fair to use the same method on all oldbies. Because some prefer this and some prefer the other method.
    But I see your point, so what about a request to the oldbie who have adopted one or more newbies to wait a certain time untill asking the next newbie? So the other oldbies get a chance to ask or to get paired up by the coordinator?

This is a board with very friendly persons, so I think most of them will understand a "waiting periode". And if no one of the other oldbies will contact the newbie (by themselves or with help of the coordinator) the coordinator can ask for the others in the "waiting periode".

Hey, the fact that you're relatively new to the boards doesn't make your post any less valuable than that of an oldbie. You might actually be better suited to answer these questions than Skiara or me, since you probably remember what it's like to be new better than we do.

Morgaine is right. :) And this is a concern about new members and we need the input of new ones, too. :) I just wanted to let you know that we have discussed this before and what we thought at that time. So we haven't have to go through the whole discussion again. But I still want to know what you think. :) So don't be quite and let us know what you think. :)

Edits: Just forgot to respond to another part... [face_blush]
    And I should use the correct words. :p

6. Ewok15

Ewok15 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 1, 2002
    When I first joined here, I thought the newbs would do the first contacting, although I soon learned that that doesn't happen, lol, so I decided to make the first step and it worked.

What I think a common mistake made by adopters is that they think the newbs will contact them, but as I have seen and I'm sure we have all seen is that doesn't happen.

7. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Good analysis, Ewok. :)
    How do you like the idea of being paired up with a newbie by the coordinator? Do you think it would make things easier, or do you prefer the direct contact with your potential adoptees? :confused:

I don't think it would be fair to use the same method on all oldbies. Because some prefer this and some prefer the other method. But I see your point, so what about a request to the oldbie who have adopted one or more newbies to wait a certain time untill asking the next newbie? So the other oldbies get a chance to ask or to get paired up by the coordinator?

This is a board with very friendly persons, so I think most of them will understand a "waiting periode". And if no one of the other oldbies will contact the newbie (by themselves or with help of the coordinator) the coordinator can ask for the others in the "waiting periode".

Skiara, I like the way you're thinking. ;)

I'm not too fond of the idea of pairing up everyone either - not because it would mean more work for me, but because I personally prefer to choose my adoptees on my own too, actually. ;)

A "waiting period" is an interesting idea.
    Once I'm done with my exams, I'm planning to contact all the 'oldbies' on the list to see who's still active - then we'll see how much of a waiting period we really need, I guess. There are quite a few people on the list who haven't been here in ages, so I might have to shorten that list considerably.

Anyway, I'd like to get some more opinions on this idea. Would you, as an adopter, be okay with a "waiting period" after releasing a newbie and before adopting a new one, if there aren't enough adoptees for all? :)

8. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    *reads over all the posts made*

Well this is what I have to say-

I have never actually adopted anyone before (am I that scary no one wants to ask me? :p) That's the problem, if you sit around and wait who knows when one might ask you. I mean, there are a lot of current adopters availabe making the chance of you being asked kinda slim on the occasion. When I first came here and wanted to be adopted, I looked through the possible adopters.. and their hobbies, fav boards etc. When I found a lovely person, so I simply sent the adpoter a nice PM asking. Honestly guys, I'm really shy in RL and it's not that nerve-racking to ask someone. Reading PMs is such a joy in my life (yes, i know i REALLY need a life).

I think it would help if adopters made it really obvious in the 'Adoptions thread' that they really do not mind being asked.. and that they would be more than happy for you to. Just be nice, and I hope more will have the courage to ask. :)

About the idea of someone to match the pairs up I highly disagree with it. Having some newbie matched with you that you wouldn't normally have picked from the list if you were looking for is not really good. It feels much better knowing that, that newbie actually originally wanted you to adpot them.. or you being satisfied that the newbie you picked is someone you can get along with. (I'm not saying that the pairs picked may not be good.. but that it is taking some sort of risk.. and it's just better to give more freedom or people might be put off and stay away from the adoptions thread altogther.)

I think that, before a newbie signs up to be adopted he/she should agree to: If they are going to be away from the computer for some period of time note it in their sig so that if some oldbie PMs them, they will know.. so the situation of an adopter PMing some newbie who does not reply is prevented. It would really help.. just some sign of whats going on with the newbie.. so the adopters are aware why the newbie is not online for some reason.

EDIT: Would you, as an adopter, be okay with a "waiting period" after releasing a newbie and before adopting a new one, if there aren't enough adoptees for all?

Good idea i think. :)

9. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I personally prefer to choose my adoptees on my own too, actually.
    Me too. ;)

It feels much better knowing that, that newbie actually originally wanted you to adpot them..
    You can see it this way dashleebo. But what about the oldbies/newbies who are just too shy or have other reasons not to ask on theirselves? :confused:

Does the following procedure cover everything about the questions of being put up by coordinator or not?

To make it more readable I shortened two things:
    PUC = Paired Up by Coordinator
    NPUC = Not Paired Up by Coordinator

1. Coordinator asks adopter and adoptee if they want to be paired up.
    2. Put oldbies and NPUC-Newbies on the list like before.
    3. PUC-Newbies will be paired up without putting them on the list.
    4. The NPUC-oldbies get a "waiting period" after their release of their last newbie (of course only if there are free PUC-oldbies) to give other NPUC-oldbies the chance to contact the newbies or if for some reason the PUC-Newbies should be one the list also.
    5. If their is no PUC-oldbie and no one contact the newbies or the newbies don't contact anyone, the coordinator is free to release the oldbies of the "waiting period".

And if the coordinator sees that there are too many newbies/oldbies don't want to be put up by coordinator, the procedure could be canceled.

This could be used/seen as a "testing period".

And of course this "waiting period" shouldn't be too long. ;)

Hope this "short form" isn't too confusing. ;) :)

10. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    ou can see it this way dashleebo. But what about the oldbies/newbies who are just too shy or have other reasons not to ask on theirselves?

Well, it's better if we aim at fixing the problem of why the oldbies/newbies are too shy or whatever other reason.

I think the ''waiting period'' could work and I would like to see it tried if necessary. ;)

11. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I've only glanced through the discussion so far, so apologies if I'm being repetitive ...

I think both methods (letting the newbies/oldbies choose, or pairing them up) work well in their own way. But it seems to me that the goal of the system is to make sure a newbie gets a friend to show them the ropes ... so if they're left alone without an adopter, it defeats the purpose of being up for adoption, because then they learm stuff on their own.

Perhaps if a newbie hasn't been adopted in, say, a few days, the coordinator could look into getting an adopter for them? I think that would give an opportunity for both parties to do some thinking on their own ... so you only step in if it's clear intervention is necessary. :)

12. amaunet

amaunet Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    After keeping an eye on what has been said here regarding this discussion, my thoughts are the following:

1) Adopters should have to wait X # of days after the completion of their last adoption before being able to adopt again.

2) Newbies should be asked if they would like to be paired up with an adopter from the get go. If they say no, they should be left to decide on their own for a while. If after one week (2 at the most) they still are not paired, the coordinator should pm them to find out if they are still interested, talking to someone, or now wish to be paired by coordinator.

13. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Well, now that I'm finally done with my exams, it's about time to bring this up to the top again.

As some of you already know, I conducted a little survey while I was trying to find out who's still active on the "free oldbies waiting to adopt" list.

The question was whether the adopters prefer to choose a newbie on their own and then PM them, or be paired up with an adoptee by the coordinator.

The results were quite mixed. I got nearly the same amount of votes for "direct contact" and "pair up by coordinator", plus a couple of "I don't really care either way". ;)

With that, I think it's safe to say that we shouldn't go with only one way, but rather a combination of both. Here's what I suggest to do:

• New "oldbies" signing up for adoption should receive a Private Message from the coordinator asking for their location and fav. boards (as before), and additionally whether they'd like to pick an adoptee on their own or have one assigned to them by the coordinator.
      The coordinator would keep a record of these answers on his harddrive.

• When a newbie asks to be adopted, and the coordinator is not online, all oldbies looking for a newbie are free to "snatch them up".

• As soon as the coordinator gets online, they send a Private Message to the new member to welcome them to the program and offer their help.
      If the newbie has already been adopted by someone at this time - great, not much work to do for the coordinator here, just give them your best wishes and add them to the list of "pairs". ;)

• If the newbie has not been adopted yet, the coordinator offers to help finding a suitable adopter.
      The newbie should definitely have the opportunity to pick an adopter on their own, some directions (i.e. who's available for adopting, how to find out more about them and how to contact someone) would be good here.

• Keep an eye on newbies who chose to find an oldbie alone and contact them again if you don't see any results after a few days.
      (These newbies would be on the "free newbies" list while they're looking and oldbies would be allowed to contact them and offer to adopt.)

• Now, when a newbie asks to be paired up by the coordinator, they should try to find out a litte more about their interests/favourite boards and then get in contact with a suitable oldbie immediately. Preferably with someone who asked to be paired up of course, one of the others if necessary.

In any case, the adoption process should not take more than two or three days at max, depending on the time it takes to get a reply to your Private Messages - there are so many free oldbies and so few free newbies that there's really no reason to make the potential adoptees wait.

Comments, additions, criticism are most welcome as always. :D

//edit: Re-reading the posts above, I think this is quite similar to Skiara's proposal above. Just a little longer. :p

14. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    Nice idea, Jules.

What I especially liked was the suggestion as to what to do when the co-ordinator is not online.

Strid cannot always be around to handle the pair ups and there might be some adopters who would like to take on a newbie ASAP. Also vice versa with regard to the newbies. ;)

So I can see how this idea will help if implemented into the ADoption procedure.

Yeah...

If an adoptee wants to find their own adopter..some time given but co-ordinator looks out for them and keeps tabs to ensure they get adopted soon.

If and adoptee asks to get paired up, co-ordinator steps in to help.

Same for adopters...ofcourse they are on the list anyways...

Suggestion to adopters...if you see a newbie you would like to adopt (who has also asked for helpetc) why not contact them via PM and ask them? You might be surprised..they might be happy to hear from you. :D

Ofcourse if they have already found an adopter or do not want to be adopted then, end of story. ;)

15. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Re-reading the posts above, I think this is quite similar to Skiara's proposal above. Just a little longer.
    So, and how can I disagree now? ;) :p

So... I agree. :)

But what about the waiting period of NPUC-oldbies, those who don't want to get paired up by Coordinator?

16. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    I'm a little torn on this issue.

On one hand, it would give those users a chance to adopt who don't come here every few hours and who usually arrive too late to get a 'fresh' newbie.

But on the other hand it makes newbies wait longer for someone to adopt them, and our top priority should always be to serve them as quickly as possible. :)

Seeing that it often takes several days until a newbie has been adopted and some n00bs don't get adopted at all, even though there's a huge list of "free oldbies", it might not be such a good idea to restrict oldbies from adopting any further at the moment.

17. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Even if there is a waiting period of one day (newbie posted "Hi, I'm new" or in the adoption thread) for two weeks for NPUC-Oldbies who just have left there old adoptee?

Means, if that ^ wasn't understandable...
    If someone leave their adoptee and signed up for the free oldbie list at the adoption thread.
    These oldbies are asked to wait one day after a possible newbie posted their welcome thread or in the adoption thread. But this just for the next two weeks.

Would that be an idea?

I mean, the coordinator needs one day to pm them, put them on the list etc. So there is not much time lost, but every other oldbie who doesn't be here every hour get a chance to adopt someone.

But... How many oldbies have complaint about not getting an adoptee yet?

Just thought about this. Because if there isn't any oldbie who complaints, then there might be no need of a waiting period.

What do you think?

18. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Hmm, that could work. I imagined the "waiting period" would be a time period of two weeks (or whatever) where the oldbie wouldn't be allowed to adopt at all. But just delaying them for one or two days is not a bad idea. :)

"But... How many oldbies have complaint about not getting an adoptee yet?"

I can't give you any numbers right now, unfortunately, but several people have said that they're disappointed that they never get the chance to adopt because they're always too late; and that they're getting frustrated because of it. More than one person has left the program because they "never get an adoptee anyway".

19. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    I think the hard part is that I usually have several users rushing to adopt a user before another. And, rather then posting their requests as so that other users can see it. They contact me via PM...which, I do not mind. But, others who also wish to adopt that user do not know they're late. And, only find out when I have to tell them that, that user is all ready taken... :(

So, I have opted to attempt to post whether or not I have gotten offers for that user. So that they know that someone may all ready have adopted them ;) . Though, they still could have a chance to adopt that user if it falls through.

I personally hate to have to choose. But, I also must remember, it's the Newbies decesion if they wish to have them, and not my own. I can suggest a user. But, ultimately it falls on that user to decide.

I think it is also hard to put those whom have not adopted as others have, because not many new users may share the same interests as them. I typically look for the users whom share more in common with the "new user" before pairing them with another. Unless specified otherwise by the user wishing to be adopted :) .

20. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    First I thought about a two weeks waiting periode, but I saw your concerns and thought that a waiting periode for one or two days for some time would do the same. :)

Ok, since there are several people who complain about not getting an adoptee, we need something like a waiting periode (one/two days).

21. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    Skiara: "Ok, since there are several people who complain about not getting an adoptee, we need something like a waiting periode (one/two days)."

Now, is this waiting period on those whom are being adopted? :confused: 'cause, if so, I believe presently, all those listed are typically not adopted by a person until three days at max, after their listing ;) . However, some do slip through the reigns... :(

Though, I do tend to share a little bit of uneasyness about this new idea. Not, because I do not feel it will work for those whom have shared their thoughts on the way one is adopted. But, because I feel that it is basically forcing the newer user to take on that other. Whether or not they share their same interets...

After all, we are here to pair up users to those who share the most in common.

Do not feel as if I am bagging on this entire idea. But, rather supplying my input. I do feel that we need to get users whom have not adopted, to adopt. But, must it be through this method? :confused:

22. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Do you have any other idea? :)

The waiting periode was only a suggestion. It may help those NPUC-adopters who have never adopted yet and the newbies will be paired up quickly.

This waiting periode is just for the adopters who have left their former adoptee within the first two weeks after leaving ther adoptee.

I don't think that will cause "bad pairings" because of different interests or so. In my view the adoptees/adopters will search for someone that are sympathic each other. And there is always the possiblity that a newbie asked them by himself. And one or two days aren't that much, I think. :)

Edits: Spellings

23. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    Skiara: "This waiting periode is just for the adopters who have left their former adoptee within the first two weeks after leaving ther adoptee."

Oh, okay. I understand now. That I see no problem with, especially since it is an easier way for Adopters whom are new to adopt. I thought you were asking to put a limit down on how long one listed as a "New user" could be adopted. But, this I support ;) .

24. Ewok15

Ewok15 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 1, 2002
    Whew, I just read through everything and I agree with all the conclusions that were reached so far.

Sorry for a not so specific response but I'm exhausted from Marching in a parade that just ended. [face_tired] And I need to go eat something soon.

25. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Don't worry Ewok, the thread will still be here tomorrow. Go get some sleep first. ;)

I quite like that idea, Skiara, and I think it would work quite well. :)

Stridarious... my reply to you is little longer, so I'll go sentence by sentence.

I think the hard part is that I usually have several users rushing to adopt a user before another.

The hard part? And here I thought that would be a good thing...

And, rather then posting their requests as so that other users can see it. They contact me via PM...which, I do not mind.

If you want the oldbies to post in public that they have contacted a newbie, then tell them to do so. If not, why even mention it?

But, others who also wish to adopt that user do not know they're late. And, only find out when I have to tell them that, that user is all ready taken...

So, I have opted to attempt to post whether or not I have gotten offers for that user. So that they know that someone may all ready have adopted them. Though, they still could have a chance to adopt that user if it falls through.

You have "opted to attempt"?? Nothing against your intentions, but really, this isn't exactly rocket science we're talking about here. Just do it.

Also, the oldbies aren't stupid, you know. They do realize that somebody else might be quicker in contacting a newbie than they are. That's a risk that we all have to take. One that the "waiting period" we're discussing would ease up.

I personally hate to have to choose. But, I also must remember, it's the Newbies decesion if they wish to have them, and not my own. I can suggest a user. But, ultimately it falls on that user to decide.

Uh, yes. I think you might need to re-read my proposal.

I certainly don't want you to force any newbie to 'get together' with an oldbie they don't like. I want you to ask the newbies whether they would like to choose an adopter on their own or have someone assigned to them. Only for the latter you have to pick an oldbie. That is your job.

I think it is also hard to put those whom have not adopted as others have, because not many new users may share the same interests as them. I typically look for the users whom share more in common with the "new user" before pairing them with another. Unless specified otherwise by the user wishing to be adopted.

But how do you know what they're interested in?

Favourite boards don't tell much. What if you have two users who list the TPM forum as their favourite, but one is a basher and the other one a gusher? What if there are two literature fans, but one of them loves Timothy Zahn and the other one hates his work? What if one Spoiler freak believes in the "Palpatine is a clone of Sidious"-theories and the other one thinks that's total rubbish? I could go on, but I think you get my point.

Besides, adopting isn't about forum-specific things. It's about teaching a newbie the basic rules, showing them how all the board features work, and most importantly, about giving them a good and easy start into the "JC world" and making sure they don't feel lost.

I mean, look at me. WNU is the only forum I regularly post in these days. Does that make me a bad adopter? I dare to say that my previous adoptees (which include our forum moderator) would disagree with that.

And even if forum specific questions do come up: Every JCer who dares to call him- or herself an "oldbie" should be able to answer basic questions about all forums. Or, if they don't know the answer, know where to find it or who to ask for help.

Adoption is such a simple concept. Don't make it more complicated than it is.

//edit: typo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.