main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index **Adult theme ahead*** The SSR Fan fic index/challenge thread.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SSRfanficIndex, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Hmmm, I'm in two minds about this to be honest.

If there is interest in some sort of challenge, I'm all for it, but by the same token, I am really uncomfortable with the idea of 'pairing up' OC's just because they have SSR tendencies...

Give me the weekend to work on something though.

2. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Well i don' think it's "because they have SSR tendencies"..well it is but it would be like doing paring roulett...I mean Anakin and Siri are probably not the most likely paring but I've seen it done for challenges.

But you're the mastermind here, Breezy, so i'm just gonna shut up now :p

3. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Oooh! I know! I was just thinking that it'd be romantic pairings. If it's just a normal fic then it's up to the characters what happens. The only downside is that the OC might not be known well enough by the writer that gets them. [face_thinking]

4. SSRfanficIndex

SSRfanficIndex Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2008
    NEW INDEXER!

moosemousse has volunteered to help keep the SSR Index going, so give a warm welcome to her.

NEW FICS!

There are several new fics in the index! They can be found on page one.

NEW CHALLENGE!

Meet The Parents!

Write a fic in which you characters meet the parents for the first time. What happens? How do they react? Are they accepting? Do they approve? Or are they against the relationship?

Also, the characters don't have to be the gay ones, it could be the parents. It's entirely up to you.

5. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    *ponders* This could be a tricky challenge. Finding the right couple could be hard, or thinking of an OC with gay parents. Someone suggested to me that I could do one about Han Solo's parents being gay and Han taking Leia to meet them. I don't think Han has any canon parents, that I know of. [face_thinking]

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    This sounds like a great challenge. It's such a big deal meeting the parents anyway. I guess it just depends on the parties involved if the sexual preference issue will make it different! :D

7. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Has anyone written a response to the challenge? I'm probably not one to ask as I haven't written one yet. I do have some ideas but I've been busy and stuff. Hopefully I'll be able to look through some old notes and write something by the weekend.

8. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Done it in "Dear Tam" where Aube's (Luke's wife) mother finds a new companion after her husband dies - funny enough, Luke has far less of a problem with it than Aube does...

9. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Which entry is that?

10. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I've just remembered the challenge! I'd finished this a few weeks ago but I completely forgot to post it.

Meet the Parent.

Hope you like it. :)

11. SSRfanficIndex

May 13, 2008
    Just a quick bump. Anyone got any challenge ideas or discussion topic suggestions?

12. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Hi. Is mpreg out of the question? OCs, maybe alien OCs?

13. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Hrmmm, good question. I guess it would be ok with a species where the male carries the offspring. I know that male sea horses carry the young so it wouldn't be too hard to imagine a species that does the same. There could also be species for whom the words 'male' and 'female' are reversed. Then again, I don't know of any canon species where either of those is true.

I think it would be best if you wrote the fic and then decide whether or not you think it would be ok. If you're in doubt then ask a mod what they think.

14. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Has the hermaphroditic Hutt question been addressed? Or the Gurlanin species? Any shapeshifting race, like the Clawdites?:confused:

15. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Okay, it has been pretty much an entire year since I contributed anything to the discussion, but better late than never, I guess. :p

I was thinking of crack!ships when I made the suggestion, simply because seeing characters who don't suit each other having to be paired up somehow was a lot of fun. The stereotype about persons with SSR tendencies being promiscuous and indiscriminate about their partners didn't occur to me, but I can see how such a challenge might inadvertantly reinforce that.

So, time for a new idea. :p I think all of these may be able to include canon characters too, because they leave the option of feelings being unrequited.

Worst Blind Date Ever Challenge:

Your OC goes on a blind date which, for whatever reason, is a complete disaster.

Daydream Challenge:

Your OC is trying to focus on the task at hand, but can't stop daydreaming about a special someone, or their dream wedding, or their vision for a family, etc etc.

The Object of My Affection Challenge:

Write from the point of view of a character that your OC likes as they realize how the other person feels.

What do you guys think?

16. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Okay, since Moose did bring it up in the mush thread: non-monogonous (however one spells it) relationships. Something I've been wondering for a while on that one... do all partners necessarily have to be alive all at the same time?

17. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    You mean like Force ghosts?

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Hrmm, I think all partners would have to be alive. It would be like someone who is in a relationship and their partner dying and then having another relationship. That person would still be monogamous and I wouldn't count their first relationship to still be ongoing. Force Ghosts could change this but how many Force Ghosts are there that we know of? I guess if one partner dies and comes back as a Force Ghost then I guess it'd be down to the people in the relationship.

19. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    LOL I just got a funny idea from this discussion about a jealous Force ghost haunting the new lover of their significant other.

My first thought when I saw the question on whether all parties involved in the non-monogamous relationship had to be alive at the same time was that it's rather hard to have a serious relationship with a corpse... i mean, the passion would pretty much be one sided, favoring the living I'd think. *shudders*

However, I thought up another possibility besides Force Ghost that could possibly fit. If one of the people were a time traveler...[face_thinking]

20. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Oddly enough, no. I did not mean Force Ghosts... :)

Did finally answer my own question, however: it would and it wouldn't matter. Just depends on the situation.

edit: Okay, that came out wrong. I've been trying to come to terms with a character dynamic where someone has amnesia, is having flashbacks of a loved one that they have no idea was a loved one... and they find themselves falling for another person. I hope that makes sense...

21. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    My question is, is the loved one this amnesia victim still alive? Your original question has the implication he/she is dead. I think the conversation is about a polygamous relationship in which 3 or more adults agree to be in a long-term faithful relationship with each other.

22. SSRfanficIndex

May 13, 2008
    It's a funny thing, trawling through PMs from the past. You never know what you've forgotten until you see it again. Things like 'SSR' and finding out that you've forgotten this thread. Isn't it about time to reopen this thread and get it going again?

As there's no challenge and I'm too lazy to think of something, we'll just 'borrow' the Monday Mush Mania one and join in with that.

If anyone does have any ideas, I'd love to hear them. If anyone has any new fics to go in the index then they'll be more than welcomed.

23. hitokiri-black

hitokiri-black Jedi Master star 1

Aug 8, 2005
    In all honesty, I have been trooling around these parts for many years and had no idea there was such an index/ challenge thread. This is one index I would love to see more of. I would take a jab at writing, however I am not as versed in what is allowed as I would like to be before pounding out anything to be proud of. I will definitely take a good look around.

24. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    There are some basic rules listed in the opening post that should be read. There are also the rules concerning what is and isn't allowed in terms of opposite sex relationships. If in doubt, it would be best to PM a mod and ask them. I'll look into getting a more comprehensive rules list for the opening post so it's all in one place.

If you have some quick questions, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to answer them, or ask them here.

25. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Hi, hitokiri-black! I hope your writing comes along as you'd like. It's a true challenge to write in these parameters. I haven't any plot bunnies myself, but for sheer innuendo, http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/30870119/p1/?27 this story, Dagobah by GuerreStellari, ought to win an award.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.