main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR Advanced class suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by MrFantastic74, Dec 13, 2012.

1. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Please post your suggestions on which advanced classes to go for. This thread is intended for all professions, and for all playing styles (PVP/ PVE).

In particular, though, I would appreciate some opinions on which direction I should move my own F2P Jedi Knight. I just hit Level 10, so now the question is GUARDIAN or SENTINEL?

I played as a tank for a while in SWG, so I would be familiar with the role of the Guardian, however, if the DPS of the sentinel is worth it, I could be persuaded. Plus, I prefer the aesthetics of the Sentinel to the Guardian, as I find the Guardian looks strange with so much armour for a Jedi Knight- they look like stormtroopers with lightsabers. Plus, the dual wield of the Sentinel is cool.

I'm primarily a PVE kind of player, but the occasional PVP is fun.

Thanks in advance!

2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I have a level 50 Sentinel and if geared correctly, the DPS is fine. IMHO, if you play with a guild, a large part of the decision has to be what role your guild needs. In other words, base your decision on what class helps the most and is most likely going to find you a spot on OPS, Flahspoints, etc.

I play both PVE and PVP. I carry two sets of gear, one maximizing Strength and the other Exp. Just keep in mind, whey you play level 50 PVP, if you are not properly geared you will get crushed.

Hope that helps.

3. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    So you wouldn't say that one advanced class is better than the other for either PVE or PVP?

4. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Guardians also can be specced to DPS however Sentinels are best IMO.

I have only explored the watchman tree however I feel that it's a great tree with damage over time as opposed to burst damage.

It's pretty useful for party use as you get 3 useful group buffs as well (healing from DoTs, speed and defence boost, damage boost).

If you get really technical there are certain builds specifically for pvp or Pve but that's when, in my opinion, it's all a bit too anal.

The different advanced classes are more for different roles (tank / heal / DPS) not really pvp or Pve.

A guide to advanced classes and their roles can be found on this page http://swtor.wikia.com/wiki/Advanced_Classes

5. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    Oh yeah, you will be grouped when you reach end game, there isn't a way around it once the solo story ends...

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Guardians are better tanks. Sentinels are better DPS generally speaking.

Oh, yeah. My Sentinel hit lvl 50.

7. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Sentinels get 90% or so damage reduction or something absurd like that.
    Sentinels can dual wield.
    Sentinels can cloak.
    Sentinels can crush people in a manner of seconds.

Also, forget whatever you know about tanking in SWG, since there were no real "tanks" in that game.

8. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    I forgot about the cloak, I've been concentrating on my Vanguard for ages...

I don't think a Sentinel Tank build is possible, at all.

Guardian's do have a bit more versatility, but yeah, tanking is the main thing I would agree.

Sentinels are versatile, no doubt about it... it's pretty easy to hit 30k+ healing in Huttball, for instance, on top of destroying things.

9. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    You may be forgetting that, pre-CU, there was a wonderful tank called a TKM/Master Doc.

10. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    I went with Sentinel, btw. Mainly because they align more with my own personal image of Jedi. A Jedi knight with a full suit of composite armour seems a little strange to me.

Jedi_Matt likes this.
  11. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    Cool man, use the droid as your tank until you get Doc :)

12. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Do advanced classes have much of an effect on your class story? Or is it simply a [slight] playstyle change?

13. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    Doesn't affect story at all, only changes the way you might play as for Agent you may become more stealthy as Operative while you become a sniper being an assassin doesn't affect the story at all though as in cutscenes even if you're operative he/she knows very well how to snipe

14. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Thought so, thanks.

15. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    As Rigor said, no difference. There are four class stories per faction, advanced classes have no bearing on that.

16. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    I already know about all the classes; I'm already playing the game. I was just curious if choosing one advanced class over the other changes the story at all. I didn't think it did, just wanted to ask to make sure.