main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Advise me on European river cruises

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Jan 26, 2021.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So my grandpa had recently decided to visit his family's ancestral land of The Netherlands via a river cruise. My cousin is going with him.

This sparked a discussion between my parents, my brother, and me about how that would be a swell thing to do.

We'd probably want to go to Amsterdam. Other than that we're kinda open. I've already been to the Netherlands, Germany, Prague, Austria... A lot of the places these cruises go through, but I'd still like to go back. Plus I haven't ever been to, say, Alsace-Lorraine.

Our main interest is in seeing historic sites, art museums, and having good local food.

Anyone ever been on one of the river cruises? Do you advise for or against it as a way to see the countryside and a few cities?

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Will Disney update these river cruises, too?

3. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    my advice is to not travel to europe at a time like this.

for europe's sake, I mean.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I advise you absolutely to do it.

I have no actual material knowledge on the subject, but you said to advise you so I did.

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Be sure to visit @SuperWatto Watto, he'll let you break a bike. I think I have that story right.

7. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I’m afraid I can be of little help. If I’m on a boat it’s because I’m going fishing. Using boats for other purposes is alien to me.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh we're thinking 2022.

9. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I have never taken a cruise myself, but I do work in the maritime industry and there are many cruise ships tied alongside in dockyards due to covid. The cruise industry, like many others, is in pretty serious trouble. That said, I think there will be some good offers on cruises once we get the pandemic under control (whenever that happens).

I have friends who have taken European cruises. They told me that they felt a little rushed on their visits ashore to the various cities. They got a flavour of the places, but didn’t have time to see everything that they wanted. But, as compensation, they visited a variety of destinations and travelled in comfort through stunning scenery.

Personally, I have always wanted to take a cruise through Scandinavia, particularly the Norwegian Fjords.

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Be sure to look out for Slartibartfast's signature.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I haven’t been on a river cruise but I have seen the river here and hard pass.

Master_Lok, solojones and SuperWatto like this.
  12. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    @Diggy is right sj, if you come to Amsterdam I will of course take you and your parents on a historical city trip.

As for cruise ships... (also @Diggy):

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oooh I would love that. We might go to Amsterdam for a few days before we start the actual river cruise so that would be great. We love history.

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    A dumb fantasy of mine is a Danube cruise. I've avoided researching it because it's probably be just as pleasant and environmentally friendly as an ocean cruise. :p

15. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Biking along the Danube is the way to go.

Runjedirun likes this.
  16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    See I have zero interest in an ocean cruise, which is all kitschy BS. But it looks like the river cruises are more peaceful and with talks and such focused on history and culture of the places you're going.

17. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    The classic one is Passau - Vienna - Bratislava - Budapest (and back). 8-10 days with city tours. If the weather is good and if there is no pandemic it's really great.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  18. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    This.

Also, you should have sausages in Germany, chocolate, strudels and coffee in Vienna, pierogi and goulash in Bratislava and schnitzel in Budapest.

Danube is the way to go if you are interested specifically for a river cruise in Europe.

Sauntaero and Darth Smurf like this.
  19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    My love of guláš is well-documented but this is a war crime.

solojones, Rylo Ken and Mar17swgirl like this.
  20. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Haha, well I had the best schnitzel I have ever had in Budapest..... what can I say.... and guláš is pretty good in any eastern European country, so I wrote them like that to offer variety. She can have all of the above in all the countries too! :p

21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Don’t go chasing waterfalls.

Healer_Leona and Juliet316 like this.
  22. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Kaiser Franz Josef, get off Fixxxer's account :p

Ramza and DarthFixxxer like this.
  23. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    [​IMG]

Darth Smurf likes this.
  24. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Yes to Danube cruise, but your order of foodstuffs is all wrong. Viennese schnitzels are eponymous and gulyás is originally Hungarian (although as you say there are other varieties around different Eastern European countries).

Plus, pierogi are Polish, in Slovakia it's pirohy, and you don't want them in Bratislava, you want them at a salaš under High Tatras, freshly made with proper bryndza (sheep's milk cheese.

Also, Bratislava sucks, Košice rock. :p

Darth Smurf, DarthFixxxer and Ramza like this.
  25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The Danube would be great, but it's too long a trip for the amount of time I get off work :(

Also my dad would really like to visit the Netherlands since it's his place of heritage as well. And I would like to go back there because it's one of my favorite cities in Europe, having been to 15 European countries, which admittedly isn't that many in the total scheme of things.

I can verify that Vienna's schnitzel is amazing, and pierogi were one of the best things about the amazing city of Krakow.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Darth Smurf likes this.