main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Advisory Council-Needed or Unnecessary

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Master Salty, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    It shows that the AC is made of friends; an elite club of people banding together to help one another into positions of mods while other more qualified members may miss out. Amongst other things...

2. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Not that you could confirm if it was correct or not

Yeah, but I'd be willing to bet large sums of cash that I'm not on that list.

3. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    [edited]

YJ edit: That had nothing to do with the necessity of the AC. Which, last time I checked, was the subject of this thread.

4. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Ok, I can understand the motive.

Do you really think the AC has the power to ensure its members become Mods, considering that quite a few former members are not Mods, the Mods choose subsequent Mods, and other people like myself are considered to have a conflict of interest due to off-JC activities?

5. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    It shows that the AC is made of friends; an elite club of people banding together to help one another into positions of mods while other more qualified members may miss out.

You've got us. I was just talking to Rhett and Kate the other day about how we were going to make the mods that choose new mods like us by criticizing them and complaining about how they don't do their jobs the way I think they should. That's a lot like saying that we're gonna get into the Indy 500 by racing go-carts in Heidlberg.

6. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    It shows that the AC is made of friends; an elite club of people banding together to help one another into positions of mods while other more qualified members may miss out.

Not at all. Moderators come up with the names of potential new moderators, not the AC. The Advisorty Council is picked by members of the previous AC, not by moderators.

7. Ben Kenobi

Mar 27, 2000
    other people like myself are considered to have a conflict of interest due to off-JC activities?

You run a fansite. This is a fansite. Simple as that.

8. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Actually, it's not that simple.

9. Ben Kenobi

Mar 27, 2000
    Enlighten mah.

10. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Ok, it would be my pleasure.

When James and I discussed starting my site, it was originally going to be just a place to hang out and post. It was also a place designed for James to hone his programming skills in phpBB. It was no different than the other boards I post at, with the exception that I owned it. Yes, we picked a name that dealt with Star Wars. You want to know why? It's because most of my friends in real life and on the internet enjoy Star Wars, enjoy each other's company, and thought it was a cool name. Yes, we originally had a banner scheme that mirrored the JC. It was temporary and we've created our own style. I'm sorry if people don't believe me when I say we had no intentions of keeping the scheme.

James and I decided that a main site would be a nice addition to the boards. I viewed it as a way to give people a little something extra when they came to the site. The site deals with ALL forms of music and movies. Reviews for movies on the big screen and DVD are posted at the site. I allow people to post their fanfics in the forum and our goal is to highlight one fanfic every week. The fanfics aren't limited in nature. People can write stories about whatever. I consider it good practice for the writers and I help provide them with an audience for their stories. We also announce the birthdays of our users on the main site. It's a little way I say thank you to the users. We've also discussed hosting all sorts of FanFilms at my site. I enjoy helping people and displaying their work. I get satisfaction from being nice to people. We have completely steered clear of Star Wars news. We direct people to TF.N and E-X if they want news. The board section gives people another place to discuss Star Wars. We also have a forum for LOTR at my site.

We have a nice base of users and the bottom line is that my site was never meant to be an anti-TFN or anti-JC site. That stuff is dealt with quickly because I don't want it there. As far as my site being a threat to TFN goes...that's absurd. I have 188 users and just over 7330 posts that have been posted. I personally have over 10,000 posts with this name here at the JC plus close to 1500 with my main sock. My site is nothing more than a hobby and nice little community. I think it's BS people think I have a conflict of interest towards the JC. Hell if anything, it should be viewed that I have a conflict of interest against my own site considering I have just over 640 posts there. I can't change the clause that was put in to the "Mod Handbook", but I can challenge that as utter nonsense in my case.

BTW...Mod forum access at my site was offered to a former Admin here but the offer was never responded to. I have nothing to hide towards the JC or any other site out there.

EDIT: I do discuss stuff from Lego and Master Replicas on the main site because I'm a huge collector.

2nd EDIT: If I have a conflict of interest that's real then I shouldn't be on the AC.

3rd EDIT: This post is not meant to be an advertisement. It's simply an explanation to what I said in my last post.

11. Ben Kenobi

Mar 27, 2000
    Ahh. I thought the main site was first.

12. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Nope, the boards were first.

Point of clarification...The admin was active here at the JC when access was offered. I want the public record to show that a current admin at the JC was offered the chance to see whatever he wanted to see and report the findings to the JC MS. As I said before, I have nothing to hide.

13. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Actually, it is the second of two boards by the same name. The first board had to many complications and was lost. It was after the replacement, and current, board was created that the main page was launched.

14. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    I thought the first one was The Retreat which was James' board, not Salty's. :confused:

15. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    There was the Retreat and the first ATS. They were separate boards and a hacker took out both.

16. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    Either way it's a non-issue. What were we talking about again?

17. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I find it interesting that posts that had everything to do with the topic at hand were edited, while ones talking about some offshoot board remain.

As long as the "secrecy" of this important process is maintained, right?

EDIT: I think you may need to check your info...

I doubt Ternian's posts would have been edited had his information been incorrect...

18. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

"I find it interesting...

That's odd, because I don't see any of this as even remotely interesting.

You see, royalguard, many of you guys who continue to make this a personal issue took a serious credibility hit after some of EmpressPalpatine's actions. Please allow me to bring you up to speed.

In this thread, you and Ben Kenobi, among others, signed a post that called out the Advisory Council, and the long-term members specifically, as being elitist and nepotistic. But then, in this thread, EmpressPalpatine admitted that the prior post had no basis at all in fact. Let's look at a few of her remarks:

"While it is impossible to unwrite that which has been written, it is possible to own up to the fact that it was a lot of clever phrases designed to have the maximun drama effect both here and on other boards. And none of it was based on any factual evidence."

"...and by rights should never have been brought to this forum, nor should the shadow of doubt been cast on people who at the time I considered friends and whom I knew had only the best interests of the JC at heart."

"I'd like to state, also for the record, that as far as I know, the members of the current Advisory Council,and previous AC of my acquaintance, JediGregMaddux, Darth Dagsy, Darth Olsen Twins, QuiGonJim, Katya Jade, Master Salty, Anvia Fett, JediJeffro, AmazingB and Darth Aybabtu are not only some of the most intelligent posters, but people with a genuine concern for doing their part to try to improve the forums for everyone."

"It was an act of calculated drama and cruel malice for which there is no way to atone..."

See, you and Ben Kenobi, who earlier made disparaging comments about my character before Jeff edited his post, signed onto EP's "act of calculated drama and cruel malice."

Despite the admission that her provcative post had no factual merit, people continue to drone on and on as if the admission never took place. That's why some people's comments appear to be more of a personal vendetta than an effort to improve the quality of the JC, and why most people just don't find this very interesting at all.

AYBABTU?

19. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    AYBABTU, if the topic at hand weren't interesting, it wouldn't have 870 replies.

And can you kindly point out where in this thread I "made desparaging remarks" about you? Oh wait, there is no instance in this thread. And since that's the case, you rehashing old arguments makes you the very same thing you claim to be better than.

I'd also remind you of your past comments, but let's not go there. I wouldn't want to derail your fast track to colors.

I think the issues being discussed are pertintent, and the size of this thread is evidence of that. I can't help it if certain people take things too personally. I think people on both sides of this issue have taken things too personally and need to take their blinders off and look at the issues, not who presented them and how.

However, I do agree with this statement:
    Despite the admission that her provcative post had no factual merit, people continue to drone on and on as if the admission never took place. That's why this appears to be more of a personal vendetta...

Those "people" who drone on aren't limited to just EP...

20. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

You'll notice that I edited to say "some people's comments."

AYBABTU?

21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I think people on both sides of this issue have taken things too personally and need to take their blinders off and look at the issues, not who presented them and how.

What do you see as the actual issues here?

22. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998

Excuse me, but now that ex-Dark Lord and SobeSider cbjedi has been promoted to JCC Moderator, who is going to replace him on the Advisory Council?

Oops, my mistake. He's not on the AC.

This reminds me of a song: "Looking for e-cronyism in all the wrong places"*

UKS

*Song does not exist.

23. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

What? You mean I'm not on the "fast track to colors?"

More evidence that this thread, and many of the people in it, have jumped the shark. I guess that takes the wind out of your sails, huh royal?

AYBABTU?

24. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    What do you see as the actual issues here?

AYBABTU was helpful enough to provide the links that answer your question.

I guess that takes the wind out of your sails, huh royal?

This statement has what exactly, to do with improving the quality of the JC? I'm not interested in carrying out personal vendettas here, only in looking at the issues presented. If some of you choose to carry them on with me, enjoy yourselves.

25. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

"I wouldn't want to derail your fast track to colors."

This statement has what exactly, to do with improving the quality of the JC? I'm not interested in carrying out personal vendettas here, only in looking at the issues presented. If some of you choose to carry them on with me, enjoy yourselves.

AYBABTU?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.