main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aeria Gloris: The Ghost in the Shell (Movies and TV Shows)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by one_armed_scissor_14, Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. one_armed_scissor_14

one_armed_scissor_14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Although the films lean more toward philosophy than the Gigs, I thought this would be an excellent franchise to discuss. Forget being one of the best anime of all time, it's an excellent piece of film history. I think some people tend to overrate the episodes a bit, but it's still incredible.

Thoughts?

2. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    I've only seen the films once each, but I love the TV show. I recently checked out the first season DVDs from the local library, and I liked them a lot more after seeing them back to back, as opposed to weekly installments that Cartoon Network was serving up. It's much easier to follow the Laughing Man subplot when you're able to view it all at once, or at least several of them at a time. I've yet to see any episodes from 2nd Gig.

The thing I like most about these stories is that, despite its occasional "Matrix"-style fumblings through philosophy, it really does touch on the question of humanity vs technology in a thoughtful way. What makes you human: flesh & blood, or your soul/ghost?

3. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I've seen both films, but not the anime series. They were both big in the eye candy department (especially the first one), but incredibly shallow when it came to story and character. The plots were also unnecessarily convoluted and confusing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.