main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph After Harry Potter . . . what now?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by NYCitygurl, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    The Harry Potter series is arguably one of the most popular in the world; Rowling has sold millions of each just on release night, not to mention that there have already been several printings and the series has been translated into many languages.

So what's next? Do you think there could be anything as big or bigger than the Harry Potter series, or will there never again be any series that big?

And what will fill the gap in the sci-fi/fantasy world now that the series has ended?

2. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    CARE BEAR TITANIC

Although I don't know if it qualifies as fantasy.

3. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    Maybe not for a while, but I'd say we're bound for another reading phenomenon. I'd give it roughly 3-5 more years before the crossover series finds a new savior.

(I felt much the same, but after reading the last "Dark Tower" book. [face_laugh])

4. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I've only read the first three books of The Dark Tower. :(

If you want sci-fi there's always the Warhammer 40,000 series 'The Horus Heresy'.

If you want fantasy you could go with the Witcher Series, the English translations should hopefully be released in the next few years.

5. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    You can't predict these sorts of things, in fact I didn't really like HP very much and still don't 'get' its popularity. :p

Scummy

6. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I have hopes that Harry Potter fans will discover the other Harry, Harry Dresden. The Harry Dresden series isn't a kids series, it's quite a bit darker than the Harry Potter series, and in my opinion it's also funnier by virtue of having a smartass for a main character.

The basic premise is that Harry is a practicing wizard (you can find him in the phone book) in what's essentially the world we live in. I.e., no one believes in magic. Harry often gets hired by police to help them solve crimes. The series almost certainly doesn't have the universal appeal of Harry Potter, but I definitely would rather read Dresden than Potter.

7. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    The Young Life of Albus Dumbledore?

:p

8. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    Hogwarts The first wizarding school

Actually I can see another thing become as large as HP but not for a few more years it always happens. Sometimes it's books that have been out for a long time that finally get some attention.

9. -RebelScum-

Feb 21, 2004
    I can hope. :)

[image=http://songphon.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/movie_goldencompass.jpg]

Scummy

10. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I heard that the next big thing will be the Glove of Darth Vader

11. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    QFT. I <3 Dresden.

12. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    You know, I hold nothing against the "Dresden" series; I even dig it a good deal, but I don't think it'll pick up a lot of crossover appeal. I'm glad the series is doing better these days, but it probably will never end up being a TRULY revolutionary publishing phenomenon.

13. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Like I said, it'll never have the universal appeal to casual readers.

My hope though, is that serious Potter fans will find it, and they'll give the other Harry a chance.

It's a shame that the first two books are also by far the weakest. :\

14. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I wish more people would get into the Ice and Fire series.

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I don't know that they series will ever become universal -- too many adult themes and scenes (and when I say "adult" I mean beyond R -- I don't think I would give this to an underclassman in high school).

16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm sorry, by high school kids know about sex and violence. I don't see anything in that books that would give them an NC-17 rating (especially if something like SAW doesn't get one.)

But I think there's a good chance most of the hyper Potter fans don't cross to anything.

17. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Well, lesbian sex, incest, sex between a grown man and a twelve year old girl...

18. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Mulholland Drive, Requiem for a Dream and Lolita only got Rs.

Who was the 12-year-old? AFAIR, Sansa and Tyrion never consummated, and Jane Westerling was older (and Robb younger). Though I must admit it's been some time since I went through them (I forget how old Edward Tully's wife was.)

19. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Dany and her Ghengis Kahn-style husband from book 1.

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    As I'm a high school student, I do know that. However, while sex is fine in most fantasy books, I think there is a limit for fourteen-year-old kids -- Martin is one, Laurell K. Hamilton and Jacquiline Carey as well.

21. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Oh, duh. Been a long time since I read about Khal Drogo.

I think most kids would be able to handle Martin (never read the other two), but of course there would be the 'tee-hee' factor.
    And 14? I must have been confused what you meant by 'underclassmen', because 14 puts them in like year 9 (I guess freshman?). I figured you meant anyone except seniors; by the time you are 16 or so I think you should be able to deal with that (especially if you've studied history...brides at 12/marrying cousins was a medieval staple, after all.)

22. -RebelScum-

Feb 21, 2004
    Ninth to tenth are underclassmen, and juniors and seniors are upperclassmen.

Incidentally, I'm hoping the HBO series gets more interest in the Ice and Fire books. :D

Scummy

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah, I meant 14-15.

Harry Potter was okay for young kids (especially the first half of the series). I don't know that a book intended for older people could catch that much attention and popularity.

24. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Steven Erikson's Malazan book of the fallen needs to be promoted more.

That is a story that could catch like fire!

25. CannotGetYourShipOut

CannotGetYourShipOut Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2007
    I definitely think that there will be bigger series. Nothing against Harry Potter, I mean, I love it, but it's not the end-all be-all of books and literature, so I think that it's just a matter of time until something else comes to take it over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.