main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One After Rogue One, what's the best viewing order?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Kuestmaster, Dec 21, 2016.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This film is really a godsend in terms of an actual palatable transition between ROTS and ANH. The jump in aesthetic is not nearly as jarring with RO tucked in between them. The frenetic pace, "modern filmmaking" (whatever on earth that means) and the transition from very alien environs all sort of breeze into ANH's 1977 palette much more fluidly with RO in between them.

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    That's my favorite thing about the film. It perfectly connects the two trilogies (and TCW, and even Rebels) through, style, aesthetic, and character. All the while adding to the lore and world building. Me likey.

3. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    4, 5, 1, 2, 6, Rogue One, 3, 7.

4. BrotherKylo

BrotherKylo Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 30, 2017
    I agree with this. I am doing a marathon right now and i am starting with 3.9

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  5. Amiga_500_User

Amiga_500_User Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 4, 2014
    The best viewing order ALWAYS is the production order.
    Everything else makes little sense.

MeBeJedi and Sarge like this.
  6. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    More so than linear order? You have to jump around the timeline in production order.

7. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    How about this:

Star Wars has (at present) four interrelated stories: OT, PT, ST and Rogue One. Despite all of them being set against a larger galactic conflict, those stories each have a beginning, a middle and an end, and each represents a different kind of entry point for new viewers. Each also represents a slightly different take on the universe. Think of them as four separate "books" without any prescriptive ordering between them. It then becomes just a matter of mix-and-match.

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Nah, my viewing order is the only correct one!

;)

9. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I won't say that my viewing order is the only correct one. But it's definitely the best one. :)

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  10. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    First viewing: Order of production
    All future viewing: Order of narrative chronology

11. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014

I'll say my viewing order is the only correct one. Basically everyone else is wrong. WRONG, I tell ya!!!

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  12. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Fine, but if mine is wrong, I don't wanna be right!

Sarge and Darth Chuck Norris like this.
  13. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    You know what...? This is a great way of doing it!

I love the OT and have added RO to the front of it for watching. I hate the PT...BUT...only if I watch it leading into the OT because I just feel like they are completely different in style. TPM and AOTC's I quite like as films (go figure) and TFA is really good but I don't feel the ST (thus far) feels like a great continuation of the OT

Watched all independent of one another (like 3 film series) is a fantastic way of doing it :cool: Oh, and I quite like COC which would round out a fourth lot... The Anthology films I will wait and see...

Gigoran Monk and Artoo-Dion like this.
  14. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    This makes the most sense. Experience the given, then put 2 + 2 together after.

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Sadly I tried watching Rogue One again and the film couldn't keep my attention for a second viewing. Still I-VI for me, but I'll keep giving the new films a chance. I'm sure one will stick eventually.

16. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Rogue One
    A New Hope
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    The Force Awakens

Or:

A New Hope
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    Rogue One
    The Force Awakens

17. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    If I was introducing someone else to Star Wars I would just ignore Rogue One and the future spin-offs until we'd finished the main saga. After that I guess you can just pick and choose from the spin-offs, it won't really matter.

18. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    For those who are skeptical of Star Wars, I have begun suggesting they watch RO first. Thus far, it's won over five out of five.

Blue 5 likes this.
  19. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    My brother watched Rogue One in theaters with me in one of my viewings back in December, and he enjoyed it.

He recently watched it again, and the climax got him the second time. He has since done two Rogue One / A New Hope marathons.

PCCViking and Gigoran Monk like this.
  20. ChimealHeltei

ChimealHeltei Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    After reading some of the posts, I had a thought about expositions of various aspects of the saga watched after the initial mention of that aspect in one of the movies.

So, I would try this order maybe:
    ANH - THE introduction to the saga...
    RO - explains how the plans came into the hands of the rebels and you don't need too much explanation about aspects from the prequels IMHO
    TPM - about the mentioned "guardians of peace and justice in the Galaxy"
    AOTC - dito
    TESB - revelation "I am your father."
    ROTS - backstory of how Anakin finally became Vader, Luke is born, Vader his father
    ROTJ - resurrection of Anakin
    TFA - saga goes on

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Some of these lists are sincerely interesting but also show my low paygrade when it comes to imagination, apparently.

"Try this order! Put all of the films' blu ray discs into an air cannon and launch them directly straight up into the sky and then watch them in whatever order they land in!"

22. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Ha! I'm the same simple mind. My method is:

"Watch the one you feel like watching at the moment that you're thinking about watching a Star Wars movie."

23. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002

It worked successfully for decades...

24. Metal Lord

Metal Lord Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2016
    Why should one throw the order out of the window? It's Ep. I - III, R1, Ep. IV - VI and IF the sequels turn out to be a worthy continuation (and not a rehash), then them right after Ep. VI (though it's sad how the ending of Ep. VI is ruined by them).

Visivious Drakarn likes this.
  25. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    use to start with how they came out but now its start with episode one and go through to episode 7 will do it this way before the last jedi as well