main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. The Boards Are Now Reopened For Business:

READ THIS: your ability to post here depends upon it.. See the new rules thread here. Bans can and will be handed out to anyone who doesn't abide by the forum rules.

Rogue One After Rogue One, what's the best viewing order?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Kuestmaster, Dec 21, 2016.

1. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Force Ghost star 4

Oct 26, 2009
    Yeah, to some extent I think it works fine by itself, as there's a clean resolution for all of the core characters, but naturally, the larger matter of destroying the Death Star itself is left to be resolved by ANH. The ending to Rogue One is weirdly both final and a cliffhanger.

EHT , Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  2. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Changed my mind:

1. Rogue One (of course leads right into Ep 4)
    2. A New Hope
    3. The Empire Strikes Back
    4. Revenge of the Sith (show Vader's humanity right after we find out he's Luke's father and jump back to Anakin's downfall before we see his redemption)
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. Solo (a nice bridge here, giving us more of Han's character after he was sidelined some in ROTJ, and leading into his return and large role in TFA)
    7. The Force Awakens

Still don't think you need to see TPM, AOTC or TLJ.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 9

May 18, 2017
    I like the idea of watching ROTS before ROTJ.

cwustudent, Dagobahsystem and Rodie like this.
  4. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    Yep! And if you like the "in media res" style that SW kind of employs in it's individual installments, then starting the whole thing with RO and just throwing viewers into it without explaining much of the state of the galaxy or what the Force is, or who Vader or the Emperor is, then it works kind of well!

And seeing Vader choke out a subordinate and destroy some rebels in his very first appearance kind of sets the right tone for the OT ha.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    christophero30 likes this.
  5. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 9

Sep 25, 2015
    The films are so familiar to me that I usually watch them based on mood.
    That being said, the ones I've watched most frequently in the last year or so are Rogue One, Attack of the Clones, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. I've also watched The Last Jedi about 6 times since December, counting theatrical/blu ray release.

I am intrigued by the idea of someday marathoning R1, ANH, TESB, ROTS, and then ROTJ. That sounds really fun and interesting to insert Sith as a flashback.

I'll buy Solo on blu ray and probably watch it at least two or three more times right away, but I'm pretty sure it will not make it into my regular rotation like Rogue One has, which I watch once every month or so.

There are so many films now, it is harder to say where a newbie to SW might start. I'd probably suggest they watch GL's saga in episodic order with R1 inserted in between the PT and OT. If they like those films, then they could move on to the ST and Solo.

6. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I may actually do this. I haven't watched the OT fully since before TFA came out so I believe it's time. Haven't watched Rogue One/ANH back to back either. I honestly like the Solo connection as well.

Rodie likes this.
  7. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    Kind of neat also that ROTS ends on Tatooine, and when we open on our heroes (the droids) in ROTJ, they are on Tatooine.

cwustudent likes this.
  8. Watma Rysou

Watma Rysou Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2015
    Han Solo
    R1/ANH watched right after the other
    TESB
    TPM
    AOTC
    ROTS
    ROTJ
    TFA/TLJ watch right after the other

Lee_ and cwustudent like this.
  9. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I'd just go with simple release order of the two trilogies, then R1. (ST not included). I don't know if I've ever done a marathon of all six films... Maybe I'll do that sometime and try one of the lists here.

On another note, I wonder what would be the worst viewing order? Starting with TLJ or RotJ?

10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 6

Apr 6, 2018
    Personally, I think the worst possible introduction to Star Wars for someone who's uninitiated would be ROTS.

11. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I think ROTJ might be worse (coming from someone who was indeed introduced via ROTJ ;)). You have emotional climaxes with characters you've never seen before (Yoda, the heroes returning for Han), Obi-Wan's exposition correcting assumptions a new viewer doesn't have, you have to figure out what the hell's going on with Jabba at the start, and figure out who all the characters are (Leia's reveal for instance has no impact if you don't know who she is).

At least ROTS feels like it's relatively self-contained with it's arc, besides knowing who Dooku is. You get the pivotal details of Anakin's turn explained, and it doesn't rely as much on distinct plot points from the previous 2.

Lee_ likes this.
  12. Darth Voldemort

Darth Voldemort Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2014
    After Rogue One. A New Hope, Ewoks: Caravan of Courage, Ewoks: Battle for Endor, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi. Skip the prequels, skip the sequels. The magic remains with the classics include classic spin-offs.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I always find it interesting how a film can inspire such wildly opposite reactions. We individual humans inhabit individual worlds.

Anakin's Daddy likes this.
  14. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    My viewing order I'd recommend to anyone is:

1. Watch all 10 films from A New Hope to Solo in order of their actual release date. All plot points and previous movie callbacks make the most sense to the first-time viewer.

OT
    PT
    TFA
    RO
    TLJ
    Solo

THEN

2. Watch them all again in the story's chronological order!
    TPM
    AOTC
    ROTS
    Solo
    RO
    ANH
    TESB
    ROTJ
    TFA
    TLJ

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    jajje, PymParticles and Bor Mullet like this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s a perfect recommendation.

16. HuttThePizza

HuttThePizza Jedi Knight

Dec 19, 2015
    My current preferred order of watching the movies is:

1. Revenge Of The Sith
    2. Rogue One
    3. A New Hope
    4. Empire Strikes Back
    5. Return Of The Jedi
    6. The Force Awakens
    7. The Last Jedi (while I cringe)

ROTS was the most important movie of the prequels, so I am good with not having to watch the other prequel films and Solo. How I wish someone would redo TLJ. So much wrong about that movie.

17. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    There was a fan petition to do just that. Given that Episode 9 is underway, any actual "remake TLJ" projects that'll actually happen will probably remain in the realms of fan films and other fan fiction.

18. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    There's nothing more wrong with TLJ than with any of the other films, and less so than quite a few, from anything other than certain skewed perspectives, but that's not the topic.

Personally I can't see any reason for the viewing order to be anything other than chronological, including spinoff shows. The only real hitch there is that the timeskip at the end of REBELS leapfrogs the OT. But the more stuff that gets added to the timeline, the more solid it all gets, and to me, while I surely like some of the material better than other bits, that's the story that I've been following since 1977, and it might as well be watched in order.

That's "current canon" though. Droids cartoon and Ewoks cartoon/features have their pleasures but are off to the side. The Holiday Special... it really is the worst ever, but it's SO HARD not to dial it up after ANH, since I was alive to see it broadcast and it remains the only time the main OT cast portrayed those characters outside the films... sigh...

MaciekRS likes this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I rewatch all the SW films except for ROTS. It’s the only one I deeply dislike.

MaciekRS likes this.
  20. EHT

EHT Anthology Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Sep 13, 2007
    TLJ is never going to be remade, but that’s not the topic of the thread.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. Lee_

Lee_ Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, it may be remade in one of those YouTube fan films, but I don't think it will make any kind of list like those in this thread, except maybe the **it list. :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    EHT likes this.
  22. Watma Rysou

Watma Rysou Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2015
    Han Solo
    R1
    ANH
    TESB
    TPM
    AOTC
    ROTS
    ROTJ
    TFA
    TLJ

23. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    ^Solo first? I still haven't seen it, but it seems like a strange choice to start out with.

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    See it and find out. :)

Chronologically-speaking, it actually makes a lot of sense to watch the dark times films first. And Solo is the first of them in the timeline. Followed by RO, ANH and ESB, as Watma has done. It’s now the first on my watch list as well.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  25. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    ^I do want to see it, but I'm waiting for it to be released on Netflix. Assuming it will be.

Bor Mullet likes this.