main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One After Rogue One, what's the best viewing order?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Kuestmaster, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Fair enough. Though if you own all the other films, I’d personally recommend owning Solo. It’s really up there in quality, IMO. And Solo-Rogue One-ANH-ESB is a beautifully seamless quadrilogy.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    themoth and PCCViking like this.
  2. Watma Rysou

Watma Rysou Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2015
    TLJ
    AOTC
    SOLO
    ROTJ
    R 1
    TESB
    ANH
    ROTS
    TFA
    TPM

3. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Rogue One. And then Rogue One.

mirrorbright likes this.
  4. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I usually watch the films in chronological order, but I tried to do it with Rogue One and it totally killed the momentum of the story for me, so I’ll continue to treat it as an outlier from the saga proper. I can still follow it with ANH or even sandwich it between ROTS and ANH, but it doesn’t really work for me as part of the larger story.

That said, I haven’t even attempted full chronological viewing with Solo, but the presence of Darth Maul makes me feel like the animated shows should be part of that viewing as well. So maybe once this final season of TCW is out I’ll try to get through everything in chronological order (or maybe just keep TCW in release order, because unlike the films I think they do mostly work better that way).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  5. mirrorbright

mirrorbright Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2016
    I would probably watch PT first, followed by Solo, Rogue One and OT.
    But... to be completely honest, nowadays I only rewatch OT and RO. These movies are the best SW has to offer in my opinion.

(No, I didn't forget ST. I just like to pretend it doesn't exist.)

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Is there a reason for this order? I can't make head or tails of it.

Darkslayer and EHT like this.
  7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Agreed. That order only works if you put The Battle for Endor inbetween ROTS and TFA. As it is now, it makes no sense at all.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Nothing makes sense with The Battle for Endor included.

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That's it, you're banned! :p

Darth Chiznuk , EHT and Bor Mullet like this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I only watch the OT, RO and Solo these days.

11. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    4-5-1-2-3-6-R1

No sequels. I wish I had not watched them really.
    Then I might have thought I am missing out on something good, with the hope I will eventually get to watch them.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Right, but you should reverse that order.

Darth Chiznuk and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I can see the merits of watching in either chronological order or release order, but I was exposed to SW with the release the order and that is how it worked for me. So when I show SW to others, I tend to introduce the franchise by the release order. That means that I would probably show RO after the OT and the PT as well. But RO fits very seamlessly between 1-2-3 and 4-5-6 if you want to watch in chronological order. RO can also serve as an entry point to the franchise if you just want to show the OT story to someone.

The only one that is a bit odd is Solo, because of the Maul cameo. The movie experience feels incomplete without watching TCW first.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  14. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, that is the correct way to introduce Star Wars to new people, except the ST. The ST should be last, if at all. The 6 originals, and the spin-offs actually tell a good, complete story without the ST, so you might just wanna leave it off.

La Calavera likes this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Has anyone actually attempted to watch all of them in a row? That's ten freaking movies. I've watch the Saga films together and the Anthology films together. I've watched Rogue One and ANH together and even ROTS/RO/ANH together. I've never tried all ten of them though. That's insane.

16. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    challenge accepted :p

17. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I haven’t attempted it yet, but Solo begs for TCW and Rebels to be included in that viewing as well. Usually I still just stick to the episodes proper and then watch the standalone films as just that.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  18. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I need to see how 9 turns out before I'll ever attempt that marathon. Like I said above, it might just be the 8 movies for me, unless 9 turns out great.

19. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I've been really tempted to try, but I think I'll wait until it's time for IX.

Wait, does "in a row" mean in one sitting? Because I think that's impossible. :p

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, it must be all eleven in one sitting or it doesn't count! :p

TCF-1138 and Mystery Roach like this.
  21. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Yeah...I love Star Wars but I have neither the time nor the attention span to watch all ten movies in one sitting. Two to three movies a day is where it’s at for me. Anyway, here’s my preferred viewing experience for newbies:

ANH or RO (or TFA for a gateway film)
    ESB
    ROTS (TPM and AOTC are optional)
    ROTJ
    Solo
    TFA
    TLJ

Rogue One is the best Prequel film and makes for a decent first Star Wars film. However, ANH (obviously) and TFA are much stronger gateway movies.

Revenge of the Sith is also a good choice for a gateway movie, as well as being a strong backstory that provides context for the relationships between the Jedi, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Padme, and the Emperor. I like the other two Prequels as fun filler films (TPM especially), but ROTS is easily the most interesting and most essential. It can stand on its own in my opinion, while the others are for more hardcore fans.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Most of 3, and all of 4-6 in a day.
    Might have done 4-7 at one point as well.

23. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Yeah - when I get that rare chance to watch the entire series with new people I tend to do release order(456, 123, 7,8, Solo/R1). But, once people have seen them and know about Vader being Lukes Dad and all the other surprises and reveals, watching them in time line order with Rogue One sandwiched between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope is really an awesome way to view them. It gives R1 sooooo much more weight & validity.

You are right though - as new stories and whatever get added then the release order method is going to get to be quite the cluster-muck. It almost is now with R1 and Solo in the mix. Straight timeline as in watching the films purely in "when they occured" order is getting to be the best way to do it these days!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  24. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    It does minimize the timeline jumping. While some people can take it in stride, I know people who have seen the movies multiple times and still can't keep the internal order straight or remember which new movie is a sequel/prequel to what. Of course, I also think that the idea of starting with the original trilogy to preserve the Darth Vader reveal is kinda something that's really becoming less and less important as the twist is part of pop culture these days and the franchise is expanding far beyond that original story.

25. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    No doubt about the Vader reveal - even non SW fans probably by now have heard about that! C'mon! :)

So other than the Vader reveal there really isnt any major reason to NOT watch them in timeline order. We prefer watching them that way and thats how we'll do it from here on out.