main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One After Rogue One, what's the best viewing order?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Kuestmaster, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Watching 4-6, 1-3, TFA and TLJ can give a greater appreciation for seeing the OT generation again after some time away from them.
    Also might hopefully not feel burnt out seeing the Imperial/Rebellion war 2.0.

Sarge likes this.
  2. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I have heard the idea that ANH is the best introductory movie for newbies (explaining the setting and all that) and I can understand the point. It's also more family friendly, so I could see parents wanting to share this movie with their kids and holding off on some of the other ones until later. In the case of the former, I think that the franchise's place in pop culture kinda fixes the issue and the later is a special situation. Personally, I've been doing chronological for years and find it works best for me.

Is that as effective when seeing the movies in close succession then it was when they were released years apart in real life? Of course, I find greater appreciation in experiencing events in the order they happened, but that's just me.

They're all about war; aren't they all kinda samey in that regard? Interesting point, though.

QUIGONMIKE likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    TPM has the Naboo, Gungans and Jedi vs the Trade Federation and Sith, AOTC and ROTS has the Galactic Republic, Jedi, Clonetroopers vs Separatists, some Bounty Hunters, Sith, etc.
    Not Rebellion/Resistance X-Wing, limited Jedi involvement vs. the Empire/First Order, Stormtroopers, Tie-Fighters, Star Destroyers, two trilogies in a row.
    It changes things up a bit.

ANH was the first movie, but I like seeing how the Galaxy, story, Force powers etc. grow with each new movie.
    Feels more organic that way than doing 1-8 imo.

Sarge and WebLurker like this.
  4. Watma Rysou

Watma Rysou Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2015
    Han Solo
    R1/ANH watched right after the other
    TESB
    TPM
    AOTC
    ROTS
    ROTJ
    TFA/TLJ watch right after the other

5. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    I can see the point.

Interesting way of looking at it.

6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Agreed. When I marathon the Skywalker saga before Episode IX, I intend on watching them in release order, sans the standalone fims. I like RO and SOLO both, but they're spin-offs of the saga, not a part of it. Release order allows each film to build most organically on the prior installments' ideas, scope, world building, and effects technology that way. It just doesn't feel right to me to when the PT makes overt references to films that I'm going to be watching later, and putting the PT between the OT and ST allows the final trilogy to function as a "return" to the designs and situations of the first three films, rather than playing as an immediate riff the preceding middle three.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Still chronological IMO.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  8. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Release order. It's the mindset the movies were made with, even if some argue otherwise.

Merric, 3sm1r and Sarge like this.
  9. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    I find that when watching R1, it feels incomplete without ANH and conversely, the Saga feels incomplete without R1 in the mix. But that's just me.

I see it as foreshadowing, so it never really bothered me. I also find jumping around the timeline annoying and makes the watching the series less fun. But that's just me.

10. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Rogue One is superfluous to the saga films. It’s a film for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Why do you think that?

(Since I don't think that, I'm curious to hear another opinion.)

12. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Of course the saga films don’t NEED Rogue One for them to work. Doesn’t change the fact that Rogue One is better. ;)

13. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Better than the episodic films? Considering its raison d’etre is derived from an opening crawl suggests otherwise.

I’m all for fun, but including Rogue One in any viewing order is an indulgence, not a necessity. It is a subordinate.

Besides there are a number of glaring issues with the film I find barely tolerable. I do love the opening shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Count Yubnub likes this.
  14. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    I will always stand by order of release.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  16. RogueZero

RogueZero Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2009
    I’ve always preferred the order of release. I guess only Solo and Rogue One can be viewed out of that order and instead watch them in that order between III and IV.

If you wanna go all out, and do the complete chronological order, you could go I, II, TCW tv series + movie, III, Rebels tv show, Solo, Rogue One, IV, V, VI, Resistance tv show, VII, VIII, IX. Hell, you can add some of the canon novels and comics in between.

17. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I've tried it. It's over 24 hours in total. I couldn't do it though, I had to split it into two days.

BigAl6ft6 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  18. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    I just do it on consecutive days as best my schedule allows.

19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    My new order.

1. RO
    2. ANH
    3. ESB
    4. Solo
    5. ROTJ
    6. TPM
    7. AOTC
    8. ROTS
    9. TFA
    10. TLJ

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I suppose one could think of Solo as being Han's frozen-in-carbonite dream sequence between Empire and Jedi.

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup! It’s also just a great follow-up to meeting Lando, and seeing Han go through his greatest trouble, in ESB.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  22. Alhazred

Alhazred Jedi Padawan star 1

May 8, 2016
    Agreed! This shall be my offical viewing order...:deathstar:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  23. Watma Rysou

Watma Rysou Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2015
    R1
    ANH
    TESB
    SOLO
    TPM
    AOTC
    ROTS
    ROTJ
    TFA
    TLJ

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    So, like the Machette order with the new movies added?

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    As for the TV shows, I did a rewatch before Last Jedi and spent a day on Clone Wars and select rebels episodes mixed into the PT movies, although now since there's so much animated and soon to be live action content I might just make it it's own week-long pre-movie excursion before devoting time into the films themselves.

As for the movies, mine is sort of all over the place more how it flows thematically and cliffhangers.

Rogue One (opening with new movie which leads right into)
    A New Hope
    Empire Strikes Back
    ("I am your father!" Cliffhanger! Wait, what? Who is Anakin Skywalker?)
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones (optional select key TCW episodes after this if one wants to put them in there)
    Revenge of the Sith (optional Rebels episodes here, then after the backstory of Darth Vader into)
    Return of the Jedi
    (probably put a Mandalorian episode in here? Although I am more leaning towards do a separate Star Wars TeeVee block before devoting time to the Star Wars movie block)
    Force Awakens (Han is dead! Rey meets Luke literal cliffhanger! Let it breathe, and memoralize Han and set up the dice!, by watching)
    Solo
    The Last Jedi
    Episode IX

PCCViking likes this.