main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After Seeing ROTS, Rank The Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jango10, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    Like, whoa. This coming form a person who skips scenes he doesn't like. A surefire way to not know what you're talking about.

2. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Bah. I usually FW the pod race in TPM. I also FW many scenes with Jar Jar.
    That doesn't make me any less knowledgeable than any other SW geek.
    ..words can't bring me down lol

3. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    Yeah, that's a problem. If you don't watch the scenes, you won't ever see their subtleties. You no longer see the film for what it is, you see what you want. In your case, this is literally true.

I'll bet that you watch TESB the most?

I don't have time for silly "reasons" like this.

Thanks guys and gals.

4. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Oh I have watched the scenes I FW many times. They're just bad or boring enough that
    I can't do it anymore. No, I don't watch ESB the most although I like it a lot.
    You're so far off the mark, but you don't care b/c you're bent on being condescending.
    That's fine, whatever floats your boat.
    I can tell you this though..I'd rather sit through the flippin' pod race over and over
    than read another one of your *yawn* posts.

Have a nice day :)

5. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    You're like, right and stuff. Plus Empire's the best because Chewbacca gets snow on his nose and looks like a Christmas doggy. Plus in Canada we get to play Hoth 4 months a year.

6. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Art is subjective, thus it's impossible to prove that just like it's impossible for you to actually prove TPM is the best.

Anyway my ranking is

1. Return of the Jedi
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. A New Hope
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. The Phantom Menace(though it was a lot better than I remembered last time I watched it)

I'm sure much of my list is due to Luke being my favorite character(and he steals the show in Jedi) and that stylistically RotS is closest of the Prequels to the OT.

7. Swoosh-X

Swoosh-X Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2005
    OK, since you asked The Empire Strikes Back is the best Star Wars film (and one of the best films ever, period) because:

1. The story is very well concieved, directed, acted, and paced. The most character driven of the OT. The story and character choices are bold and daring
    2. Frank Oz as Yoda is at his absolute best, should have been nominated for a supporting actor Oscar (we know the politics behind why he wasn't).
    3. Harrison Ford is at his absolute best, so is Carrie Fisher. Best acting/dialouge of all the Star Wars films. AOTC take notes. That is a big screen romance. You really get the sense that the actors are more comfortable here, and no character is neglected.
    4. Darth Vader is at his absolute best here. He owns this movie. Every scene he's in. And even the scenes he's not in, his presence looms over the story like a giant shadow. This is *his* movie, even moreso than any of the prequels.
    5. Billy Dee Williams is a strong addition to an already strong cast.
    6. Cloud City is brilliantly realized
    7. The story adds depth and a dark resonance to what previously was just a pop movie serial
    8. The twist at the end of the film is one of the greatest in film history, and one of the most famous moments in modern cinema.
    9. John Williams is also arguably at his best here, introducing the Imperial March, Yoda's Theme, among others
    10. It is the most pyschological of the six Star Wars films
    11. Cinemotography/set design is great, every frame has an omnious mood, even as we go to the bright Cloud City.
    12. The Hoth battle and the Asteroid field chase are very well done action set pieces even though the movie never relies on action scenes to carry the story.

And there are many more reasons.

If Empire had not done well, IMO, there is no Star Wars saga. If it was a flop or just a "OK" movie, the Star Wars saga would've had it's hey day in 1977 and given way in the 1980s to other pop culture franchises. JAWS was huge in 1976, but it isn't a relevant to people today, partly because JAWS 2/3/4/etc. did nothing to expand the original. Empire did ... Empire laid the foundation for "franchise" and really expanding the Star Wars mythos to a dramatic new level.

8. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    My ranking:

1. Return of the Jedi
    2. Attack of the Clones
    3. The Empire Strikes Back
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    5. A New Hope
    6. The Phantom Menace

9. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    Boo! Thanks for, once again, not giving any reasons. My point proved. Me condescending? :)

10. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    No, art is OBJECTIVE. It's an object, isn't it? :)

The most complex and coherent film is the best, because it displays the highest level of craftmanship. And ROTS is not stylistically closer to the OT (as if that's a valid criteria for judging it)--they are all very close. TESB isn't stylistically close to ANH, so...what? Irrelevant.

I can prove that TPM is the best, but it could take me awhile...

11. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    "OK, since you asked The Empire Strikes Back is the best Star Wars film (and one of the best films ever, period) because:"

OK, here we go!

"1. The story is very well concieved, directed, acted, and paced. The most character driven of the OT. The story and character choices are bold and daring"

How is it well conceived, directed, acted, and paced? Why is being the most character driven film positive? In what Star Wars film are the story and character choices not bold and daring? Little here stands out in TESB--it's a constant through all the films. Actually, how is TESB even more character driven than the others?

"2. Frank Oz as Yoda is at his absolute best, should have been nominated for a supporting actor Oscar (we know the politics behind why he wasn't)."

He should not have been nominated because the politics, in this case, are correct. He's great, though.

"3. Harrison Ford is at his absolute best, so is Carrie Fisher. Best acting/dialouge of all the Star Wars films. AOTC take notes. That is a big screen romance. You really get the sense that the actors are more comfortable here, and no character is neglected."

Best acting and dialogue?
    "Han, we need you."
    "We need? What about you need?"
    "I need? I don't know what you're talking about."

Nobody knows what he's talking about. The "great lines" in the film are not deep or well-written. "I am your father," while startling/cool is not a well-written line. "I thought they smelled bad on the outside" is the same thing. Funny, not good. Even ANH's "We're all going to be a lot thinner" is better than most of this garbage. Liten to the scene where Lando takes everybody to Vader at the dinner table. THAT IS TERRIBLE.
    As for Harrison and Carrie, they are certainly less annoying than they were in ANH, but they look stiff and bored. At least the emotionless monks of the prequels had a reason to be (they were emotionless monks). The romance goes nowhere. The romance iin AOTC is strictly and obviously courtly love, which is thematically fitting (knight and noblewoman!), and makes it immune from basically every uneducated criticism leveled against it. TESB's romance is fluff, and ultimately pointless.

"I love you."
    "Liar!"

is better than

"I love you."
    "I know."

"4. Darth Vader is at his absolute best here. He owns this movie. Every scene he's in. And even the scenes he's not in, his presence looms over the story like a giant shadow. This is *his* movie, even moreso than any of the prequels."

Darth Vader is definitely in bad*** mode. That doesn't make it good, although I admit that it is done well. Very aesthetically consistent.

But more than the prequels? He's cooler, but not better.

Palpatine/Sidious is better at looming over plots than Vader.

"5. Billy Dee Williams is a strong addition to an already strong cast."

Already strong? No, I'm kidding. He's fine.

"6. Cloud City is brilliantly realized"

No. It looks awful. The hallways. Just LOOK at the hallways. I now know why windows were digitally added. Besides that, clouds. Lots of clouds. Just like lots of snow and lots of mud. Dagobah is the best realized locale in TESB, easily.

"7. The story adds depth and a dark resonance to what previously was just a pop movie serial"

It was still a pop movie serial, though. The problem is that it made it sort of depressing for no good reason. The rsonance and real darkness comes with the prequels. The themes in ANH aren't fully engaged in TESB. It's more of a "next installment" as opposed to a logical continuation, but I admit that it helps lay more groundwork. Too bad that has nothing to do with the quality of the film.

"8. The twist at the end of the film is one of the greatest in film history, and one of the most famous moments in modern cinema."

Relating the film to the outside world (as opposed to treating it as a self-contained unit) doesn't tell us anything about its goodness.
    Anakin Skywalker becoming Darth vader is a better twist. The Jedi being the bad guys is even better.

"9. John Williams is also arguably a

12. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    That's not the way the word is being used in that context at all. It's that it's removed from subjective bias, which art never is.

It is an entirely valid criteria for judging it if it influences my preference for the film, which it does.

No, you can't. If it was clearly and inarguably the best it wouldn't be commonly held as the worst. There also wouldn't have been the significantly negative reaction to it upon release.

The recent polls around TFN also wouldn't have ended up with results like these

[image=http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n16/TheSithLord/CensusPoll.jpg]

[image=http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n16/TheSithLord/Vanha.jpg]

[image=http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n16/TheSithLord/Uusi.jpg]

source: http://boards.theforce.net/star_wars_community/b10012/25647753/p3

The Basher and Gusher camps would also not exist.

13. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    "That's not the way the word is being used in that context at all. It's that it's removed from subjective bias, which art never is."

Hahahahahaha!!!! You have to be kdding me. That's the only context the word fits into! The source of the word "objective" is "object," sillypants! Art can be removed from subjective bias by using objective criteria. We are judging which piece of art is better. What makes one work more valuable than another? Better craftsmanship. This can be graded using the criteria of COMPLEXITY and COHERENCY. That's it. These two criteria are perfectly reasonable in such matters. A compex work exhibits more skill in the artist than a simple one. A coherent work exhibits more skill in the artist than an incoherent one.We aren't grading a subject, we are grading an object. A film with a multitude of unified parts is better than a blank screen.

"It is an entirely valid criteria for judging it if it influences my preference for the film, which it does."

What did I say? YOUR preference doesn't matter. We are trying to figure out which film is BETTER, not what someone LIKES more. Penalizing a film because it does not mimic the style of another one is ridiculous. If ANH was your standard, then you would not only hate TESB but you would also think that it was bad. That may not be the case, but that's where your logic leads.

"No, you can't. If it was clearly and inarguably the best it wouldn't be commonly held as the worst. There also wouldn't have been the significantly negative reaction to it upon release."

Most people thought that the Earth was flat. You are saying that they were right just because they believed so. The greatest works of art are often ridiculed at first. Most people are not good judges of artistic quality, either. And TPM actually had (according to Rottentomatoes) over 60% positive reviews. You obviously haven't thought through your arguments here because you think that majorities are always correct, that they have a better chance of being correct, etc. And yes, I can. I would need to show that it is the most complex and coherent Star Wars film. It would be difficult, but possible.

"The recent polls around TFN also wouldn't have ended up with results like these"

OoOoOoOoOoOo!!!! Polls! That, once again has NOTHING to do with the quality of TESB. I only shows what people believe, and that is often based on horrible criteria and personal preference.

I'm drilling everyone here because I have yet to find a good reason for thinking that it's the best, btw. (I'm being a jerk on purpose because I can't get any information otherwise).

14. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    So you must think that Revenge of the Sith is the best, then?

15. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Hahahahahaha!!!! You have to be kdding me. That's the only context the word fits into! The source of the word "objective" is "object," sillypants! Art can be removed from subjective bias by using objective criteria. We are judging which piece of art is better. What makes one work more valuable than another? Better craftsmanship. This can be graded using the criteria of COMPLEXITY and COHERENCY. That's it. These two criteria are perfectly reasonable in such matters. A compex work exhibits more skill in the artist than a simple one. A coherent work exhibits more skill in the artist than an incoherent one.We aren't grading a subject, we are grading an object. A film with a multitude of unified parts is better than a blank screen.

ob·jec·tive
    1. something that one's efforts or actions are intended to attain or accomplish; purpose; goal; target: the objective of a military attack; the objective of a fund-raising drive.
    2. Grammar.
    a. Also called objective case. (in English and some other languages) a case specialized for the use of a form as the object of a transitive verb or of a preposition, as him in The boy hit him, or me in He comes to me with his troubles.
    b. a word in that case.
    3. Also called object glass, object lens, objective lens. Optics. (in a telescope, microscope, camera, or other optical system) the lens or combination of lenses that first receives the rays from the object and forms the image in the focal plane of the eyepiece, as in a microscope, or on a plate or screen, as in a camera.
    ?adjective
    4. being the object or goal of one's efforts or actions.
    5. not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.

That's how I'm using the word, and I don't think that art is truly able to be done that way, at least in terms of how good the films are as a piece of art. The technical skill involved of course can be qualified, and on that it's probably RotS simply because it was most recent, though the inventiveness required for A New Hope to make up for some of the limitations of special effects at the time would be worth noting.

What did I say? YOUR preference doesn't matter. We are trying to figure out which film is BETTER, not what someone LIKES more. Penalizing a film because it does not mimic the style of another one is ridiculous. If ANH was your standard, then you would not only hate TESB but you would also think that it was bad. That may not be the case, but that's where your logic leads.

You're trying to figure out which film is best. The thread is only trying to figure out how each poster ranks the films and why. Someone could say they rate A New Hope and Empire as the best because they think green sabers looks stupid and they cringe whenever they're on screen and it would still fulfill the premise of thread.

Most people thought that the Earth was flat. You are saying that they were right just because they believed so. The greatest works of art are often ridiculed at first. Most people are not good judges of artistic quality, either. And TPM actually had (according to Rottentomatoes) over 60% positive reviews. You obviously haven't thought through your arguments here because you think that majorities are always correct, that they have a better chance of being correct, etc. And yes, I can. I would need to show that it is the most complex and coherent Star Wars film. It would be difficult, but possible.

You're misinterpreting my point. My point is that there's not an objective rating as art and that the heavy variety of opinions shows that, not that the majority is objectively right, as I don't know that anyone is when it comes to art.

OoOoOoOoOoOo!!!! Polls! That, once again has NOTHING to do with the quality of TESB. I only shows what people believe, and that is often based on horrible criteria and personal preference.

It is, but again, it's simply to show the variety of opinion, not that I necessarily agree with them.

I'm drilling everyone here because I have yet t

16. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    "ob·jec·tive
    1. something that one's efforts or actions are intended to attain or accomplish; purpose; goal; target: the objective of a military attack; the objective of a fund-raising drive.
    2. Grammar.
    a. Also called objective case. (in English and some other languages) a case specialized for the use of a form as the object of a transitive verb or of a preposition, as him in The boy hit him, or me in He comes to me with his troubles.
    b. a word in that case.
    3. Also called object glass, object lens, objective lens. Optics. (in a telescope, microscope, camera, or other optical system) the lens or combination of lenses that first receives the rays from the object and forms the image in the focal plane of the eyepiece, as in a microscope, or on a plate or screen, as in a camera.
    ?adjective
    4. being the object or goal of one's efforts or actions.
    5. not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.

That's how I'm using the word, and I don't think that art is truly able to be done that way, at least in terms of how good the films are as a piece of art. The technical skill involved of course can be qualified, and on that it's probably RotS simply because it was most recent, though the inventiveness required for A New Hope to make up for some of the limitations of special effects at the time would be worth noting."

OK, good. Me too.

"You're trying to figure out which film is best. The thread is only trying to figure out how each poster ranks the films and why. Someone could say they rate A New Hope and Empire as the best because they think green sabers looks stupid and they cringe whenever they're on screen and it would still fulfill the premise of thread."

Yeah, I guess that's the thread's purpose. But I was referring to my post.

"You're misinterpreting my point. My point is that there's not an objective rating as art and that the heavy variety of opinions shows that, not that the majority is objectively right, as I don't know that anyone is when it comes to art."

There is an objective rating for art, it's just that most people are either using subjective reasoning or aren't formally skilled to provide an objective analysis.

"It is, but again, it's simply to show the variety of opinion, not that I necessarily agree with them."

Right.

"What are your reasons for thinking Episode 1 is the best?"

Well, I suppose my main reasoning behind this is that TPM addresses more themes that work their way into several layers of the narrative more than the other films do. For example, take a look at how the idea of "breakdown" is employed throughout the film. A great and more specific example of this would be the section of the film between and including the scenes where the Jedi and Jar Jar are in the bongo. Think about exactly what they are saying and doing (attitudes, gestures, basic portrayal), then think about the grander political situation, and then smash these ideas together and watch how the three scenes play out and relate to the film as a whole. The other movies do this, but not nearly as well. TPM is the most subtle in its meaning.

"It's still not a good thing."

You're right.

"No, I think it's all subjective and there's not a definitive best film under that broad of a determination. I think one could find the most technically advanced(RotS), the most innovative(ANH), or something along those lines, but not simply the "best" unless you specify the qualifiers that determine the best."

You are right about both things, but those criteria are not about the films themselves, but instead the real-life situations surrounding them, so that's why I ignore them both.

"I do agree with you that TPM is very coherant though and it's also got a consistancy that is in it's favor."

:)

I find TESB to be a good example of how a film is classically made (like "Casablanca" or something that puts focus on the tightness of the screenplay and little more). On those terms, TESB and AOTC would probably be the most highl

17. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah, I guess that's the thread's purpose. But I was referring to my post.

Ah, alright.

There is an objective rating for art, it's just that most people are either using subjective reasoning or aren't formally skilled to provide an objective analysis.

I definitely agree that most people are doing the latter, I just am not sure I agree entirely that the former exists(though it does to at least some extent given that there are things that exist which are considered classics.)

Well, I suppose my main reasoning behind this is that TPM addresses more themes that work their way into several layers of the narrative more than the other films do. For example, take a look at how the idea of "breakdown" is employed throughout the film. A great and more specific example of this would be the section of the film between and including the scenes where the Jedi and Jar Jar are in the bongo. Think about exactly what they are saying and doing (attitudes, gestures, basic portrayal), then think about the grander political situation, and then smash these ideas together and watch how the three scenes play out and relate to the film as a whole. The other movies do this, but not nearly as well. TPM is the most subtle in its meaning.

I definitely agree that TPM has a subtlety in the points that it's trying to make and that many people miss it. One of the ones that I like is the symbiosis point it makes and which spreads to the rest of the Prequels.

You're right.

I just think the points you're making which are all good ones get across better through civility.

You are right about both things, but those criteria are not about the films themselves, but instead the real-life situations surrounding them, so that's why I ignore them both.

That they are, and they were simply examples, though not the best ones.

I find TESB to be a good example of how a film is classically made (like "Casablanca" or something that puts focus on the tightness of the screenplay and little more). On those terms, TESB and AOTC would probably be the most highly regarded.

That I'd agree with, and I do agree that TPM is likely the film that was closest to way Lucas intended it given that it was the only one of the Prequels where he had close to complete freedom in the storyline, and I'd probably cite it as the best example of a Lucas film from the latter part of his life(though I'll almsot certainly replace it with one of the films he's planning to fail for the rest of his life with once they're released, as he'll have complete freedom from the constraints placed upon him.)

18. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    "I definitely agree that most people are doing the latter, I just am not sure I agree entirely that the former exists(though it does to at least some extent given that there are things that exist which are considered classics.)"

Right. I think that it's hard to actually put my rule into use, because there are just so many things to consider in every film, but that one should try to nonetheless. Scene-by-scene analysis helps, but even then, you have to go of of a mildly abstract "understanding" of the entire film to make quick value judgments.

"I definitely agree that TPM has a subtlety in the points that it's trying to make and that many people miss it. One of the ones that I like is the symbiosis point it makes and which spreads to the rest of the Prequels."

Other clear examples would include bargaining, deception, democracy, greed, innocence, slavery, rebelliousness, control, etc.

"I just think the points you're making which are all good ones get across better through civility."

Yeah, my initial disclaimer that I might be kidding didn't work right. I do actually think that TESB is overrated and that TPM is the best, but the gap isn't from an F- to an A+...

"That they are, and they were simply examples, though not the best ones."

They're good examples of a non-formalistic approach, which inherently gets away from the artwork.

"That I'd agree with, and I do agree that TPM is likely the film that was closest to way Lucas intended it given that it was the only one of the Prequels where he had close to complete freedom in the storyline, and I'd probably cite it as the best example of a Lucas film from the latter part of his life(though I'll almsot certainly replace it with one of the films he's planning to fail for the rest of his life with once they're released, as he'll have complete freedom from the constraints placed upon him.)"

I think that he intended most of them to be the way they turned out, but I see what you mean--TPM, being at the opposite end of the story from where he left offh as less plot-related restrictions that getting closer to the OT creates. The issue of creative control comes up when dealing with this, and there have been other discussions around here about it (it gets crazy--his creative control is often reflected within the storyline itself via Palpatine).

One other interesting thing I've noticed about TPM (tell me if you agree here) is that, in basically every way (visually, emotionally, etc.), it is the most REALISTIC of all the films. AOTC and ROTS were made using improved technology, but the tone and look of those films is noticeably less realistic and more fantastical--even in the acting. My reading of this is that, as an introduction, TPM would benefit from a more realistic tone because it has to ease an audience into a story. If the gateway to the film is similar to the real world, it makes the transition more seamless. I don't know what other people think about this (or whether TPM mimics only my conception of reality), but I find it interesting.

19. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    "Right. I think that it's hard to actually put my rule into use, because there are just so many things to consider in every film, but that one should try to nonetheless. Scene-by-scene analysis helps, but even then, you have to go of of a mildly abstract "understanding" of the entire film to make quick value judgments. "

I can see that, and it would certainly be hard given that fact that one person's understanding of a scene can vary greatly from someone else's.

" Other clear examples would include bargaining, deception, democracy, greed, innocence, slavery, rebelliousness, control, etc. "

Yeah, my initial disclaimer that I might be kidding didn't work right. I do actually think that TESB is overrated and that TPM is the best, but the gap isn't from an F- to an A+...

Oh, I figured you were exagerating, but it may have not been quite as clear as it could've been.

"I think that he intended most of them to be the way they turned out, but I see what you mean--TPM, being at the opposite end of the story from where he left offh as less plot-related restrictions that getting closer to the OT creates. The issue of creative control comes up when dealing with this, and there have been other discussions around here about it (it gets crazy--his creative control is often reflected within the storyline itself via Palpatine)."

Yeah, that was more what I meant(though I think he's said he's still disappointed with how A New Hope turned out) and I like the point about Palpatine and find it fitting that it paralllels Lucas's amount of control through all 6 films.

One other interesting thing I've noticed about TPM (tell me if you agree here) is that, in basically every way (visually, emotionally, etc.), it is the most REALISTIC of all the films. AOTC and ROTS were made using improved technology, but the tone and look of those films is noticeably less realistic and more fantastical--even in the acting. My reading of this is that, as an introduction, TPM would benefit from a more realistic tone because it has to ease an audience into a story. If the gateway to the film is similar to the real world, it makes the transition more seamless. I don't know what other people think about this (or whether TPM mimics only my conception of reality), but I find it interesting.

I hadn't though about that, I'll have to watch it again with that in mind and get back to you, though I do think it was certainly more grounded in reality than Episode 3.

20. BattleDroid1138

BattleDroid1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 6, 2000
    I just thought I'd comeback and update my tally of the votes so far on this subject.

Current tally:

Votes for 1st: ESB-27, ANH-22, ROTJ-12, ROTS-11, TPM-2, AOTC-1
    Votes for 2nd: ESB-25, ANH-20, ROTS-14, ROTJ-6, AOTC-6, TPM-4
    Votes for 3rd: ROTS-22, ROTJ-21, ESB-10, TPM-9, ANH-7, AOTC-6
    Votes for 4th: ROTS-21, ROTJ-19, ANH-12, AOTC-9, ESB-7, TPM-7
    Votes for 5th: AOTC-26, TPM-24, ROTJ-13, ANH-6, ROTS-3, ESB-3
    Votes for 6th: TPM-31, AOTC-26, ANH-8, ROTJ-4, ROTS-4, ESB-2

Original tally:

Votes for 1st: ESB-22, ANH-11, ROTS-8, ROTJ-5, AOTC-1, TPM-0
    Votes for 2nd: ANH-17, ESB-13, ROTS-7, ROTJ-4, TPM-4, AOTC-2
    Votes for 3rd: ROTS-14, ROTJ-13, TPM-6, ESB-5, AOTC-5, ANH-4
    Votes for 4th: ROTJ-14, ROTS-13, AOTC-8, ANH-6, ESB-4, TPM-2
    Votes for 5th: AOTC-17, TPM-14, ROTJ-8, ANH-3, ROTS-3, ESB-2
    Votes for 6th: TPM-21, AOTC-14, ANH-6, ROTJ-3, ROTS-2, ESB-1

21. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm surprised RotS isn't rated above ANH.

22. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    My rating:

1. AOTC/ROTS/TESB
    2. ANH
    3. TPM
    4. ROTJ

23. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Evaluation of art is subjective in that the choice of so called "objective" criteria is itself a subjective act.

Comparing films on agreed criteria will assist in giving a more useful comparison, but another person's preference based on entirely different criteria is really no less valid.

Anyway

TESB
    ANH
    ROTS
    ROTJ
    TPM
    AOTC

24. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Star Wars
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. Attack of the Clones
    5. The Phantom Menace
    6. Return of the Jedi

25. tuskinraiderfromhell

tuskinraiderfromhell Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2004
    For me I love all six films, for the most part equally. But if someone had a gun to my head (knock on wood this doesn't happen) and told me I had to pick the films in the order of how I like them it would go as such, with an extremely brief explanation why:

1=Revenge of the Sith: The most emotionally powerful, dramatic and visually stunning. In my opinion, best acted, written and directed of the Saga. I love every moment. The first 25min. is such a rush. Star Wars at it's finest. Grievous is just awesome!

2=A New Hope: The one that started it all and the one I've seen the most. No matter which version I watch (original theatrical cut, S.E. or my personal favorite the 04 DVD) I'm still transported back to my Childhood in 1977. As it states in "Empire of Dreams" "it's a lot a fun watching Star Wars." I agree.

3=The Empire Strikes Back: Hoth, Cloud City, (which is one of the two places I like to vacation, if Star Wars was real.) I love the fact that now you can "see" the city, it's a breath taking environment. The whole duel/escape from Bespin is one of my favorite segments.

4=Attack of the Clones: I love the whole Coruscant part of the film, the chase through the city, Dex's dinner great little scene. Kamino, the Cloud City of the PT. Even the love story, yes love story I really enjoy. The last 50min. "WOW" the most intense ground battle of the Saga, once they get to the droid factory until the Yoda/Dooku fight, pure bliss.

5=The Phantom Menace: (Theed, is the other place I'd like to vacation.) The whole beginning on the Trade Federation ship was just awesome. The duel of the fates, is still my favorite duel in the Saga. The characters of Qui-Gon, Darth Maul and Watto quickly entered my top ten characters list. I loved seeing the young Obi-Wan, Ewan impressed the hell out me from the moment he appeared on screen. Even Jar Jar I like.

6=Return of the Jedi: Jabba, Jabba, Jabba I love this guy. The Rancor and Sarlacc are two of the best action sequences. The speeder bike chase is still my favorite chase/fx segment in the Saga. Vader's/Anakin's redemption is one of the most powerful moments. It has so much more meaning now that the PT has filled in the gaps, and for me the addition of the young Anakin has a more emotional impact.

Well done George and thank you.

In all honesty when people have asked me "What's you're favorite Star Wars movie?" I usually reply "What ever one I happen to be watching at the moment."

Star Wars is Forever!

May the Force be with us, all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.