main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After Seeing ROTS, Rank The Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jango10, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    1: ANH, ESB
    2: ROTJ
    3: ROTS
    4: TPM, AOTC

Odd ranking huh. I like ANH and ESB equally, just like I do TPM & AOTC.

2. ThePriminister05

ThePriminister05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 28, 2005
    That sucks dude, so when you watch it in chronological order, each episode gets less and less enjoyable. That really sucks for you. I respect your opinion about the films, but still, damn man.

This is so difficult, and the ranking includes sentimetental value with me. Return of the Jedi had been my favorite Episode for a long time, but overall I think Revenge of the Sith is a better film. So....ya.

1. III Revenge of the Sith/VI Return of the Jedi

2. II Attack of the Clones

3. IV A New Hope

4. I The Phantom Menace

5. V The Empire Strikes Back

I know I know, I'm wierd.

3. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I know this comes dangerously close to agreeing with MisterVader, but I don't think that a ranking of that sort has to mean a diminishing enjoyment as you suggest.

For instance, I would probably rank the films IV, V, VI, III, I/II. Excluding the PT (because I usually don't watch those anyway), you seem to think that I would consider the OT to get increasingly less enjoyable. But that's not the case.

I rank Star Wars first because it's the only one that truly stands alone, and to me that gives it an undefeatable advantage. Empire, to me, can't be better than Star Wars because Star Wars is part of Empire, part of what makes it work. Star Wars doesn't NEED Empire to work, so I consider it superior. As far as Empire vs. Jedi goes, I do actually consider Empire the superior film, but it also has the same advantage over Jedi that Star Wars has over Empire.*

So while the films get increasingly worse to the extent that they work as individual films, they also build upon one another so that the overall enjoyment derived doesn't decrease. I don't know if that makes sense, but it seems to in my head.

*If you wonder why I don't use the same rationale to rank the PT I, II, III, it's because III is the only one with sustained (longer than 5 minutes) sections that I actually enjoy, whereas I and II have only bits of goodness strewn throughout overall messes of films.

4. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    1. Star Wars - Episode IV - A New Hope: A classic in all aspects. From the sweeping architecture of the Deathstar to the archetypes and every other relatable element that isn't quite so campy, to Harrison Ford's performance as Han Solo (as well as Alec Guiness' awesomeness as Ben or "Obi-Wan" Kenobi), this film bodaciously changed filmmaking as everyone here knows - it was something more than a kernel of inspiration. It's also the only film out of the Saga that can stand by itself; I don't feel TPM is anyplace near that, because there are too many elements of the Star Wars universe that were set in stone more thoroughly and punctiliously in ANH than TPM in eyes. The "Saga" (which I still am of the belief is bloated with loopholes) works better in the order of the movies that it was released in, by my view, despite what anyone says. Any film outside of ANH feels more like filler material to me in hindsight, anyway. Either way, great film.

My only complaint is JEJ's Vader voice isn't as commanding as it is in TESB, and Tarkin's role was always rather overrated in my view, and something I'd like to note: many say the saber duel between Vader and Kenobi is "lacking", because of their age? No, I think this was because given their age it was a battle of the force powers in a more subtle way, not a battle of prowess with a saber. Ben or "Obi-Wan" DID have Vader in a spot of sorts, and that Vader was able to force grip an Officer half-way across the galaxy at large later on, as well as Obi-Wan becoming "one with the force", and "projecting" himself, to me, means that he could have been potentially stronger than he was in ROTS. Same goes for Vader or "Anakin", in a way that is alluded to. But the space battle at the end is great, as it worked well with the brevity in words and actions, with both the quiet and intense moods, a very apt build-up all the way up to the climax. Well, that aside... still... great film as a standalone and overall. 9.0/10-10/10. A classic that isn't mired by its age, seldom anything else, to me.

2. Star Wars - Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back: It definitively owns every other film for sheer mood; at least, in my eyes. This film takes what made ANH so extollable and puts the characters in situations that feel far more human, and rather seamlessly at that: from the battle of Hoth to the wacky antics of Yoda to Bespin, this film sets the pace well and follows the mood with a score that conveys the general atmosphere rather well (though Yoda's transistion from earnest, authentic, wise Jedi Master to wacky hermit is sort of lost to me). And while I feel it's easily the most adroit of the Saga in full, with the characters given their breathing spaces and development, I've always felt it to be a tad...well... overrated.

I don't know. Something about the later scenes don't mesh well to me; you have Cloud City, which sets the tone that not all is what it seems, but something about those scenes and the subsequent duel later on with Vader and Luke sort of... clash with each-other. I can't put my finger on which, but I'm of the opinion that it's not quite worth the merit everyone seems to give it. I also feel Boba Fett is very overrated, even given his mysterious figure. Nevertheless, the climax of the duel is great with JEJ's voice dripping with earnestness and Luke working well with the lines that he gave in a divergent context (which isn't what happened in ROTS with the Palpatine and Mace duel being changed so abruptly, which I'll get to later on...). Either way, I'd give it a 9.0/10 as an overall. Star Wars at "quality" (I know, quite an altercation to fly into) film-making (in MY view). In a more mature way than ANH. Though, again, in my eyes. I still feel ANH is better, even if by a paltry amount, but this film has emotional tension that most of the other flicks of the Saga lack, to me.

3. Star Wars - Episode VI - Return of the Jedi: A bit sappy in comparison to the other two, and despite the horrid introduction and dance number at Jabba's and the Ewoks demeaning the astuteness of others (and

5. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Wester547, I should just copy\paste your post and call it my own. However, you were harder on ROTJ and ROTS than I am. ROTS does have a a number of shortcomings, but its high on the entertainment level, and in the end, that's what matters most in a film like this.

6. BigBoy29

BigBoy29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    Wester547:

Your post reflects my views as well. I feel your take is most accurate/fair/judicious. Kudos! =D=

7. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Wester547,

A fine critique of the SAGA. I agree w/most you said except for Jar Jar. He wasn't as bad as people say. I love him. If you want the worst character, Boba Fett in AOTC.

Anyway here's my Ranking.

ANH
    ESB
    ROTJ
    TPM
    ROTS
    AOTC

8. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Hmm, yeah, good call on Boba Fett, Frank. I'd take an expanded JJB role in AOTC if it meant cutting Kid Fett entirely from AOTC.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Ouch. To each his own, I guess.

10. erus_multus2

erus_multus2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 2005
    I'd rank them:
    ESB
    ANH
    ROTJ
    TPM
    ROTS
    AOTC

:)

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    ROTS at least covers new territory in terms of basic plot structure. TPM uses the basic structure of ANH along with the exact structure of the end of ROTJ. AOTC uses the basic structure of TESB.

12. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    Ooops, I just noticed that I had already answered this topic.

13. Darth___Revan

Darth___Revan Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2007
    Empire Strikes Back
    -we meet Yoda
    -"I am your father."
    -we meet Boba Fett
    -the humor isn't awkward
    -Vader shines
    -Leia/Han love story isn't awkward like others... it's actually smart and funny
    -Battle of Hoth
    -etc...etc... I have no problems with the entire movie

Revenge of the Sith
    -draw dropping special effects throughout... some of the best of all time
    -Hayden Christian actually acts
    -incredible light saber duels including the Battle of the Heroes/Yoda vs. Palpetine/Anakin vs. Obi Wan
    -downright emotional with "You were the chosen one!" and Order 66
    -Ian McDirmid's (is that how you spell his name?)acting prior to being "transformed". For once, Star Wars acting was at an all time high!
    -One problem: the Anakin/Padme love story was still as awkward as ever... I mean FOR CRYING OUT LOUD... Who wrote that scene about "You are so beautiful" and... no it's because I love you... Padme was lookin pretty hot in that scene... but that wasn't really movie dialogue was it? The one sour note to an otherwise fantastic installment to Star Wars

Return of the Jedi
    -weak first act and with the DVD version, even weaker... the CG is nasty in Jabba's. Luke does kick butt.
    -Ewoks -BOO
    -BUT, the scenes with the Emperor make the movie for me. If they had just made a 30 minute movie about Luke, Vader, and the Emperor, that would be fine
    -the story ends very well - I even like the additions seeing the other planets. The whole Hayden appearance is strange... and even stranger that his son recognizes him!
    -the chemistry between Leia and Han was still intact and humorous

Attack of the Clones
    -good mystery but the Sifo Dyas thing not only was not explained, it was tucked away
    -We were introduced to one kick-butt CG muppet!
    -Christopher Lee is a great actor even when they didnt' give him much to work with
    -excellent action and effects... I didn't think the CG looked as bad in that movie as others did
    CONS: love story unbelievable, Hayden is whiney even if it is intentional, story choppy, etc.

A New Hope (Clearly I am showing my age because most alive in the 1970s will say this one is the best)
    -Great start - cast, characters, story...everything
    -Guiness is an awesome Obi-Wan
    CONS: it's just too slow, and Luke is whiney

The Phantom Menace (and I'm one of the few who didn't want to Jar Jar blasted with the Death Star super laser)
    PROS: hmmmmm... Darth Maul vs. Obi Wan. It WAS the best lightsaber duel to date until well...episode 2
    -Qui Gon was an incredible jedi. I thought his confidence and maturity brought sanity to an otherwise ridiculous tale
    CONS:
    #1 - screenplay!
    #2 - acting
    #3 - Jake Lloyd

But in the end, I like all 6 together as a single unit.

14. The_Improved_BMD

The_Improved_BMD Jedi Master star 1

Feb 10, 2005
    A New Hope
    Revenge of the Sith
    Return of the Jedi
    The Phantom Menace
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Attack of the Clones

15. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    1. Revenge of the Sith
    2. The Phantom Menace
    3. Attack of the Clones
    4. The Empire Strikes Back
    5. Star Wars: A New Hope
    6. Return of the Jedi

16. Darth_Sater

Darth_Sater Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    1. The Empire strikes Back
    2. The Revenge of the Sith
    3. A New Hope
    4. The Phantom Menace
    5. The Return of the Jedi
    6. Attack of the Clones

17. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Perhaps in keeping with the serious and in-depth nature of this specific forum, we shouldn't just list the films but also offer explanations, commentary and general feeling.

This is something which fluctuates with the times, my mood and which ones I've seen most recently. It is something which is always subject to change. I must admit that I see different value in the various films. I actually posted my rankings on the first page of this thread (way back in ancient history.) Without looking at it until editing this post--I came up with the same rankings. Though these things change, I've remained mostly consistent on the rankings.

If ranked right now, I'd put them like:
    1. The Empire Strikes Back: The acting, directing, casting, and Larry Kasdan script make this a very human and compelling story. It is dark, it introduces new and interesting characters, and there is this feeling of uncertainty which diffuses through the film. It expands on the original and probably becomes one of the best sequels of all time.

2. Star Wars: A New Hope: You have to give credit to the original. This is just a purely exciting and fun film. The chemistry between the three leads, the funny bickering droids, the exotic creatures like Chewie, and the performance of a great actor like Alec Guiness make this an excellent movie.

3. Return of the Jedi: The weakest of the original trilogy but a fun film. I would have liked to see Steven Spielberg take over this project (Hollywood politics prevented him from doing so.) I think Spielberg would've made a much better film which would have easily been my favorite. Furthermore I think there were logistical concerns which prevented this film from taking off in different directons. Parts of it were set on Coruscant and that would have been interesting but impossible in the 80s.

4. Revenge of the Sith: An emotional film, an intense movie, and a good story. It is just not the most enjoyable to watch and by its nature not fun. It does bridge the trilogies effectively.

5. The Phantom Menace: A good movie...not exactly the direction I would have taken. Liam, Ewan, Natalie and Ian all have solid performances.

6. Attack of the Clones: The movie is plagued with bad editing, directing, writing, and casting. The ending is solid though.

Usually #s 3 and 4 switch and 5 and 6 alternate.

-Seldon

18. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Thanks, Seldon. Yes, it's good to know why someone ranks these the way they do.

19. BaronLandoCalrissian

BaronLandoCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2006
    1.Star Wars/New Hope--one of the strongest scripts ever written. A fully realized world, invented from nothing, just pure imagination, and made with scotch tape, yet totally believable. Rich in detail, plus the characters were never this loose and fun again. A major, historical achievement.

2.Empire--it's like Star Wars but prettier and with more serious character work.

3.Jedi-cosmetically ugly and sloppy, drops the ball with some of the supporting characters, but it's got it where it counts kid, which is Luke's story. The teddy bear picnic finale sucks (any version) but it's only 2 minutes.

4.Revenge of the Sith-more ambitious and visually accomplished than Jedi, but ultimately I just don't care what happens to Anakin or Padme.

5. Phantom Menace-giving Jar Jar more time and importance than Obi-Wan still bugs me, and it's too long, but seeing Darth Vader as a kid building a soapbox racer with his Little Rascals pals was really cool and unexpected. Qui-Gon rules.

6.Attack of the Clones-Anakin and Padme's love story reminds me of nobody anywhere ever. Dooku and Kenobi P.I. are excellent, as is Anakin's tragic quest for and discovery of his mother, which unfortunately occupies about 5 minutes.

20. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    listing the SW films from order of most to least favourite is incredibly difficult...
    this is why i'm basing my opinion on how much it entertained me and that's it. for now, i'm just going to not think about plot, characters, flaws, etc etc. otherwise things would just get too complicated.

1. ROTS - would be first no matter what

2. AOTC - even though there were some serious acting issues in this one, and plot flaws, i loved watching it mainly because of the start of the Clone Wars, the creation of the clones, and how the relationship between Obi-Wan and Ankain is the clear definition of a little more than shaky

3. TPM - it was the first SW film i ever saw and so it holds this spot. i thought Qui-Gon was amazing, and i really liked Padme in this one.

4. ANH - well technically, THIS was the first SW film i saw but it wasn't entirely...only a few minutes so i don't count it. i enjoyed it a lot. Luke was amazing in this film and i loved how all the characters were introduced

5 & 6.ESB & ROTJ - i really don't know.

on entertainment value, the PT did definitely shine for me. but it's difficult for someone who saw a PT film first to find the OT action sequences more appealing.

21. Mulletman

Mulletman Jedi Knight

Jan 15, 2008
    1) ESB
    2) ROTJ
    3) ROTS
    4) AOTC
    5) TPM
    6) ANH

well thats how i would rank them...

22. Dirty-Darth

Dirty-Darth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Haven't posted in some time...thought I'd make my glorious return with this bold move

1-ESB
    2-ANH
    3-ROTJ
    4-TPM
    5-AOTC
    6-ROTS

23. Blu-Bladed-Jedi

Blu-Bladed-Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    1. ROTS - An amazing acheivement. It si so emotioanlly powerful and intriguing. Seeing Palpatine's beautiful scheme unwind is incredible.
    2. ROTJ - I guess I naturally like conclusions but Seeing the Emperor after hearing so much about him was really cool. The fight between vader and luke was the best of the OT.
    3. AOTC - I know people have some negative feelings toward this but the action is great and the OWK and Anakin relationship is quite good. Also I love Mace and Jengo in this movie.
    4. TESB - Yoda and Luke is great while seeing Han and Leias relationship grow is good stuff. Of course what happens on cloud city is captivating. Oh and Hoth of course.
    5. ANH - Ill never forget when I was 7 and saw DV for the first time. Han Solo was also brilliant as well as the final Space battle.
    6. TPM - Love the movie mainly because of OWK and Darth Maul.

24. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    1. Empire Strikes Back

2. Revenge Of The Sith

3. A New Hope/Return Of The Jedi

4. Attack Of The Clones/The Phantom Menace

Just now, maybe tomorrow it will look different again.
    Thats star wars:)

25. black_dog

black_dog Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2006
    1. ESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ
    4. TPM
    5. ROTS
    6. AOTC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.