main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After Seeing ROTS, Rank The Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jango10, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kupo

kupo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2005
    1) TESB: This film is simply brilliant. The chemistry between the characters is fresh and invigorating, even if it wasn't an Oscar-caliber screen play. You enjoyed every moment these characters were on screen together. The introduction of Yoda made him the most endearing character of the saga, and his philosophies are incredibly intriguing. Add onto all of this a wonderfully rousing climax and you've got a true winner of a film in every way.

2) and 3)

(I'm still having a very hard time deciding, especially since I've only seen ROTS twice)

ROTS and TPM: (right now I'd be inclined to say in that order)

ROTS and TPM mark, for me, the two strongest films of the series from a tonal and conceptual standpoint. The innoncence of TPM and the darkness of ROTS are what give Anakin's fall resonance with the audience. These two films play off one another wonderfully, their synergy can be felt quite strongly. ROTS carries with it great emotional impact, while TPM never ceases to create a sense of awe and discovery. TPM's editing style creates a very linear tale, we go from A to B in a rather straightforward, chronological manner. This helps create in the audience a closer proximity to the characters and enhances the feel of accompanying these characters on a "journey" (which is exactly what this film was, a journey into the stars for Anakin Skywalker). ROTS is fast paced and explosive, but unlike its predecessor, it feels focused. It has a point, a destination, and it makes getting there a rousing adventure.

4) ANH: This film does suffer from being the very first ever created, in that George had to be very careful in creating a totally self-contained plot while still trying to leave doors open. This film, in context with the other five, lacks their scope. It feels smaller, less epic. The trench fight, while a classic, lacks a personal touch. This hurts this particular film itself, but aids the saga. Luke and Vader meet twice later, having them meet in this episode would feel a little like overkill. Indeed, this film suffers most from the inescapable fact that it was the first SW made. But this doesn't keep it from being brilliant. Lucas created a tale that was engrossing from beginning to end. He introduces us to a fun cast of characters led by the wonderful Alec Guinness. Overall, a great film, obviously deserving of its "classic" status.

5) ROTJ: This film has a stellar beginning. Jabba is a classic character, and every bit of action on Tatooine is pure SW fun. Unfortunately, this film lacks any appreciable amount of rising action. We learn the Death Star is back in another incarnation. Wee. How original and stirring. The film fails to capture much interest at all until Luke is taken aboard and meets his father and the Emperor. The ground battle on Endor and the space battle also fail to capture interest, and instead feel like annoying obstacles getting in the way of the REAL conflict that we want to see: father vs. son. In short, when this film is good, it's brilliant. Unfortunately, the brilliance is interlaced with redundancy and at times, sheer boredom.

6) AOTC: Far and away the worst of the saga. Far and away. It has little tonal or stylistic value to the "whole". It's largely expository and fails to draw much emotion. Its largest contribution to the narrative is a love story that feels forced and unreal. When we should be most connected with these characters emotionally, we are least. While visually impressive and a fun action movie, it, unlike its counterparts, fails at delivering any "magic." In a saga that is generally truly imaginative, a real "romance," this particular episode comes across as cold and utilitarian.

2. Xio-Ra_Tekin

Xio-Ra_Tekin Jedi Master star 1

May 19, 2005
    1. ESB
    2. ROTS (Could eventually gain the #1 spot, havent seen it enough yet)
    3. AOTC
    4. ANH
    5. ROTJ
    6. TPM

3. DarthPlop

DarthPlop Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    ESB: Not only a great Star Wars instalment but a perfect movie in it's own right. The greatest twist in movie history, romance and tragedy. When Han is torn away from Leia it's heartbreaking. Lives up to it's title. The Empire truly did strike back. The pace is slow and simmering working up to a climax that didn't involve a huge action scene. Star Wars at it's most emotional for me.

ROTJ: This was my favourite as a boy. Empire was just too damn dark back then. Can't understand why Lucas didn't redo the Rancor though in SE. Fantastic duel and full on introduction to the man who controls Vader's puppet strings. Don't know what anyone else thinks but the scene on the platform when Vader is left alone after Luke is taken away by the stormtroopers.....I knew then that Vader would come back, he just needed the motivation which Palpatine provided with his shock tactics (Pun intended).

ANH: Let's face it, I love the OT.

ROTS: Darkest since Empire and had the more emotional connection to me than others in the PT.

AOTC: I know that ROTS is better but honestly on the night this kicked some butt. Only in retrospect do I but it below ROTS.

TPM: I only ever watch this film for Darth Maul. Criminal waste of a villain. Darth Maul should have been a continous bad guy throughout the saga. In it's desperation to introduce the characters it just seemed rushed. Also I felt disappointed after seeing this movie (Don't call me a basher for being honest). It was the first Star Wars movie in years and it just didn't speak to me. In retrospect I believe Lucas didn't intend it for the hardcore fans of the OT, at the time that was like a kick in the balls.

4. Kesel

Kesel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1999
    1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. Revenge of the Sith
    3. The Clone Wars (Animated Series)
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. A New Hope
    6. The Phantom Menace
    7. Attack of the Clones

I know this list is just supposed to be the movies but I consider the Clone Wars to be such a vital part of the continuity that I had to include it.

5. CinDrallig

CinDrallig Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    1. ESB (No bad parts in whole movie)
    2. ROTS (probably #1 after a few more viewings)
    3. ANH (1st half of movie=great 2nd half=okay
    4. AOTC (great action, poor non-action)
    5. TPM (possibly best lightsaber battle)
    6. ROTJ (Great scenes with Emperor, Luke and Vader, but rest of movie was redundant)

6. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    "2nd half=okay"

You seriously thought that the 2nd half of ANH (with the death star dog fight at the end) was just 'okay'?

And right now this is how I'd rank the movies based on my personal opinion of course:

1. ANH (TESB trades places with this movie all the time for me, no kidding ;))
    2. TESB
    3. ROTS
    4. ROTJ
    5. TPM
    6. AOTC

7. quizkid82

quizkid82 Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2005
    1. "The Empire Strikes Back" -- The obvious and popular answer, but that's the way it goes. "Empire" has it all: The best acting, the best story, the best dialogue, the best banter, the asteroid field chase, "I am your father" ... heck, even Cliff Clavin shows up.

2. "Return of the Jedi" -- Say what you will about the Ewoks, but "ROTJ" still boasts some of the most powerful moments of the series, and my favorite scene of them all: Threepio telling the story of episodes IV and V to the Ewoks by campfire. That scene captures exactly why we all love "Star Wars." It's a great story, well told.

3. "A New Hope" -- It started it all. It revolutionized movies. It revolutionized movie music. It blew everyone away. And still does.

4. "Revenge of the Sith" -- Honestly, this one is so good that I was tempted to place it above "ANH," but the movie buff/historian in me couldn't allow it. What a perfect way to end the PT, with a flourish of unbelieveable action, high emotion and a "Godfather" feel. In the years to come, this may end up being my favorite of them all.

5. "The Phantom Menace" -- Not the tragedy many have made it out to be, "TPM" is best viewed as a children's movie. And what a great-looking children's movie it is, Jake Lloyd and Nute Gunray notwithstanding.

6. "Attack of the Clones" -- The black sheep of the "SW" family. Yes, I like a lot of it. Yes, I've seen it many times. But man, do I hate a lot about this movie, from the dialogue to the acting to the shockingly subpar visual effects in some sequences.

8. Taivasvaeltaja

Taivasvaeltaja Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2003
    Ranking the films is sin - Star Wars is one saga and it works perfectly as a whole. But even I have favorite episodes of the story.

1. AOTC
    2. TPM
    3. ROTJ
    4. ANH
    5. ROTS
    6. TESB

I'm sick.

9. Boba-Frapp

Boba-Frapp Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    1. ESB: The battle of Hoth was the best battle of all the movies. Luke being trained by Yoda and Han and eveybody else running from the Empire made it almost seem like two awesome movies at once. The battle between Vader and Luke was the best of the series. And lets not forget Boba gets his man.

2. ANH: Sometimes simple is best and this movie proves it. Basic age old rescue the princess story line with all the essential characters played perfectly by the cast.

3. ROTJ: This was my favorite movie as a kid. The ewoks ruled then and I don't see a reason to hate them now. The emperor made the movie but he was only in it for the last part. Boba should not have died like he did .

4. ROTS: Easily the best of the prequals. The only thing holding it back from being number 3 is how Anakin turned to the darkside so quickly. It had the feel of a Star Wars movie which I felt the other two prequals didn't. I just don't buy Anakin feeling bad for what he did to Windu to killing kids.

5. TPM: Darth Maul is awesome! Just wanted to start with that. I don't know why he was killed in such a stupid manner, not like you didn't know if you'd be making another movie George. I admit this movie was kind of boring with all the political mumbojumbo and jar-jar. Pretty bad I can excuse Ewoks but not Jar Jar.

6. AOTC: Dear God this movie was a whole lot of nothing. Jango was cool but Anakin was terrible. Don't even get me started on Darth Tyranus. I don't even know why he is in the movie. Darth Maul should have lived and Tyranus should have never existed. While I enjoyed the fight with Yoda and Tyranus it seemed to me that all the flipping around by Yoda was just to excite fanboys. Did he really need to flip and spin so much?

10. DarthNidLoc

DarthNidLoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2005
    1. ROTS- Darkest movie of the saga, the #### hits the fan in this one and george held nothing back. Vader has always been my favorite character and this is the movie I've been waiting to see since I remeber seeing ANH for the first time in 1987(I'm almost 21 now so that would be when i was 3) I always wanted to now why he betrayed the Jedi. The action was fast paced like in AHN(it didn't slow down like parts of ESB,AOTC, amd ROTJ) Anakin vs Obiwan was great, my favorite fight of series by far, it was way more emotional then any fight in the series even ESB and ROTJ. The score was the best of the entire series. The order 66 montage was heartbreaking.
    2.ESB- The best of the OT. The biggest twist in cinema history. Yoda, Han at his best in the Trilogy(A new hope was hard for ford because he was having fits over the dialogue and he kinda mailed in his performance in ROTJ). Lando was a great character and they introduced him perfectly. The battle of Hoth was great because it was the only time we got to see the storm troopers win.
    3. A new hope- the one that started it all. Vaders introduction walking into the rebel ship still gives me chills. Luke watching the suns go down is classic. and the best space battle in the series(if only because it's longer then ROTS space battle.
    4.AOTC- the love story would have been better if they had cut the scene in the meadow near the waterfall and kept the parts in Padmes house(it also would have prevented my friend from asking me who the hell the people with the children were following padme's cortage(the thing that padme is lying on). The duel is too short and the dialouge was too stilted(we know from George's interview in Rolling stone it was like that on purpose but i feel it was a little to stilted and hurt Anakins character).
    5. TPM- little ani and the gungan character were annoying but bareable for me. The duel was great. not spectular but still a good begining for the saga.
    6. ROTJ- the Ewoks and the aliens in jabbas palace hur this for me. still a good finale.

11. HunterRex

HunterRex Jedi Grand Master

Feb 6, 2001
    You would think that since I was 9 years old when ANH came out in 1977, I would rank the OT higher than the PT. Looking at the saga as a whole, this is how I rank it:

1. ESB
    2. ROTS
    3. AOTC
    4. ANH
    5. ROTJ
    6. TPM

12. POTAStar

POTAStar Jedi Master star 2

May 26, 2001
    1.) TPM (unbelievably underrated....its genius)
    2.) ANH
    3.) ESB
    4.) ROTS
    5.) ROTJ
    6.) AOTC

13. Lucen

Lucen Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    1. ESB
    2. ROTJ
    3. AOTC
    4. ANH
    5. ROTS
    6. TPM

14. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    1. ROTS
    2. ANH
    3. ESB
    4. ROTJ
    5. AOTC
    6. TPM

No, I don't hate the prequels. I just happen to prefer the OT for the most part.

15. pucifur27

pucifur27 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2005
    Revenge of the Sith:
    To me, ROTS has the best storyline. I also think it did the whole Star Wars series justice. This film was the most anticipated of the prequels, and it was right to anticipate it. The computer-generated graphics were awesome and really lifelike. Plus, violence and darkness is what the SW series needed after 30 years of the hero Luke and the might-be hero Anakin.

Return of the Jedi:
    By this time, the acting was better and technology was higher. I loved the vast landscape too: from Endor to Death Star 2. For the first time, the Dark side of the Force is represented by lightning (sweet!). ROTJ was also good because, to me, it had the most story out of the original trilogy.

Attack of the Clones:
    AOTC focused more on Anakin than on the intergalactic struggle. Yes, yes, the clone wars was in there, but that battle was all cramped up in one little arena. Other than that, great story and nice effect on the thickening plot.

Empire Strikes Back:
    I thought most of the battles were awesome, though at times could be cheesey (Vader throwing stuff at Luke during the final battle: it looked like those things were attatched to strings!). The story was exceptional, though at times, certain parts seemed rushed. Like on Degobah: It takes Luke about 10 minutes to master the Force. ESB was good, but not great.

Phantom Mennace:
    TPM was hardly Star Wars. There was the pod race, Jar Jar, and little lightsaber fighting. It was actually kind of pitiful: In the middle of the movie it seems Lucas had to remind the audience that this was SW by adding that 2 minute lightsaber duel between Qui-Gan and Maul. It also seemed like there was more alien than human in that movie.

A New Hope:
    A lot of the lines were typical in movies.
    Example: Vader tells Leia to tell her where the plans are, or suffer the loss of her home planet. She tells. Vader still blows it up.
    To me, that seems a little too villan-stereotype. In all of the other movies, Vader has very unique ideas and schemes (he's got his own theme song!). Most of the actors were horrible, though I do have to tip my hat to Harrison Ford.

16. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    "To me, that seems a little too villan-stereotype. In all of the other movies, Vader has very unique ideas and schemes"

Vader is the typical bad guy. He is based on the mythological and serial evil characters. To me destroying the person's home planet to punish they for lying is a bit original. That isn't Vader who uses the tactic anyway, it is Grand Moff Tarkin. In regard to Vader using unique schemes, I don't know about that. Killing incompetent underlings is hardly a new or unique idea. Hiring bounty hunters or setting traps isn't really anything new either.

I like Vader just as much as the next fan, I just don't agree with that particular statement. Anyway good thoughts.

-Seldon

17. TheForgottenJedi

TheForgottenJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2004
    1)ROTS - I've seen it about 8 times now, all the first shocks have gone away and its definitly my favourite. Why you ask, one word, duels. I love them. :D
    Plus the everything that happens right after Obi Wan cuts off Vader's legs and arm is just so powerful.

2)ROTJ - Redemption, fantastic action and the setting for the Luke/Vader/Sidious finale is so eerie and cool to watch. Ewoks are funny in my eyes.

3)TPM - This movie made me become a fan. I was an 11 year old who had seen the OT awhile back but hadn't really taken it in. Seeing stuff like the Jinn/Kenobi/Maul duel made me a fan and I have never had a big issue with Jar Jar or Jake's acting so I loved this episode.

4)ESB - This would be higher if not for my connection with TPM. I could state the obvious like brillant pacing, editing and filming but I think I just did. :p

5)AOTC - Beauitiful film and I love the Anakin/Obi Wan relationship where many others find it annoying. Who in their right mind doesn't like 200 Jedi fighting endless waves of droids anyway!? :p

6)ANH - I feel terrible for placing the original in last spot but I just can't place it over any of the others even though I love ANH.

18. TK-513

TK-513 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    I guess this would be the perfect place for my first real post. Here is how I rank the films:

1.ANH
    2.ESB
    3.ROTJ
    4.TPM
    5.AOTC
    6.ROTS

I place the three OT movies above the PT movies because I just think they were better. ANH rises to the top because it just a great story with colorful characters and just a fun feeling to it. ROTS ends up at the bottom becuase of one thing, Anakin falls to the dark side so quick. I didn't buy it for a second. The movie was moving along fine then all of a sudden Anakin is Darth Vader minus the suit. The opening sequence with Dooku and Grevious also felt a bit rushed.

I'm not say that I didn't like ROTS or any of the other PT movies, they still kick ass, they just pale in comparision to the OT.

19. Padawan-Seren

Padawan-Seren Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    1. TESB- Easily the best in my opinion. ESB is has real emotion and a powerful storyline.

2. ROTJ- I must be the only person who thinks the Ewoks are cute... (hides)

3. ANH- It started it all, it has to be pretty high up on the list.

4. ROTS- While easily the best prequel it didn't do it emotionally for me. Except for poor Yoda... This one comes close to ANH but doesn't surpass it.

5. AOTC- Not fabulous but not bad, it really built up tension close to the end. Some really gorgeous scenes too, I like the variety of landscaping and lighting used in this movie.

6. TPM- Really this ties with AOTC. I only put it down here because there's too much Trade Federation/Midichlorian stuff... Reminds me too much of Government and Biology class to be that entertaining. But still a great movie... but I don't like Darth Maul... at all.

20. General_Marlboro

General_Marlboro Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    1) Empire- Movie of firsts. I saw 4,5,and 6 first. The first major large scale war (Hoth). The first time we get to see the force in action, both light and dark from Yoda and Vader. We see the Emperor for the first time. We are left hanging as well with Solo taken away and plus the dark side wins. Yodas "no there is another" comment lost its luster as did the father revelation due to Sith but oh well.

2) Sith- It tied the first two movies and the next three together wonderfully. It is a great bridge for all of the movies as a whole. Of course by the end deja vu may be causing me to really like this movie. Seen it twice and I think it will stay at 2. Lucas did a good job at showing Vaders struggle within over his wifes life and staying with the jedi code.

3) Phantom- This is it. The first Star Wars. Purist or not admit it. It sets up the upcoming 5 movies and sets them in motion. You got to start somewhere. Liams acting is great, as his performances usually are. Lloyd and Portman are pretty bad, but in defense the kid is 8. Maul is great his lightsabre is too good and Williams' score is very good as well.

4) New Hope- The first half of the movie is great. It establishes the world and all of the wonder that comes along with it. No prequels and this is number two on the list. Its a movie in transition from Vader to Luke (I dont care what Lucas tells USA Today) Since its a transition here it sits at 4.

5) Clones- Long, drawn out, and not paced well for a Star Wars film. I wanted the love story because Portman is a looker and my girlfriend had something to get into which is good. The acting though was so bad it is hard to watch which is a shame because some good head games could have been played with Anakin dealing with his emotions but the acting was too bad. The political stuff was not bad since I liked watching the Emperor gain power. Caesar in the future is pretty cool. Chris Lees Dookoo is not good and kind of lame. Boba and Jango why not, people love Boba. Clone Wars had good action and Yoda fighting are good as well. Acting kills this movie which is a shame. Star Wars never got acting Oscars but this is bad.

6) Jedi- Rehashed too much. Another Death Star. Similar trench run to destroy it. Ewoks were lame but acceptable since its Lucas expanding worlds and races that inhabit them. Speeder bike chase is great as is Jabba and the rancor. Yoda passing was sincere and done well. There is too much time spent on the forrest moon with Han and way too little time in the throne room. The whole movie is built up to the confrontation with the Emperor and Luke and then for some reason its too short and comes off flat. Its Return of the Jedi not When Ewoks attack. Vader turns good and saves Luke where he failed with Padme so it does accomplish something but not much. Too much fluff and the movie is bloated due to it.

Thanks for reading the book I wrote.

21. Boba_Phat

Boba_Phat Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2000
    The great Star Wars films:

1. TESB - The classiest and most mature film in the series. It is deep and dark yet subtle. It probably has the best score out of the series also. It was able to further the story of the first one while being nothing like it.

2. ANH - The only one that can truly stand on its own, and the one with the most memorable moments. It probably has the simplest story out of all of the Star Wars films but it was so different than anything else at the time.

The good Star Wars films:

3. ROTJ - This one lacks the originality of its predecessors, but it benefits from having the great characters of its predecessors. The Battle of Endor is truly thrilling. I don't mind the Ewoks, but there had to have been a better way for them to defeat the stormtroopers without making them look like complete fools.

4. ROTS - This is the best prequel movie. It has the most engaging story out of the prequels and overall it is pretty intense. There is still too much use of CGI in this one as in the other prequel movies and Anakin's quick turn is questionnable.

The OK Star Wars films:

5. TPM - I probably place this one above AOTC because it is more nostalgic for me, but I do think it is a better made film than AOTC. Yes, there is too much Jar Jar. But, this film benefits from the location shooting and compared to the films that would follow it the special effects are actually more subtle.

6. AOTC - This one is pretty interchangeable with TPM. It is more fun and darker than TPM, but it lacks in the filmmaking department. The editing is weak and the love story between Anakin and Padmé lacks believability. In the end TPM and AOTC are not really necessary for the whole saga to work.

22. aik_pan_skywalker

aik_pan_skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    ROTS is the Standard now its number one in my list
    It stands distinct from all the other movies, he tried to do the same sort of thing in ROTJ but failed as he couldnt decide wether to keep the kids or let them fall away from the myth.

ROTS is the style all the star wars SHOULD BE MADE IN
    should have been and still should be made in.

Next i nominate AOTC for different reasons entirely ( because GL gives me no option )
    The look and the scope and the brilliant digital )

Next for similar reasons as AOTC , epic quality and action and cinimetography even in the non digital age it looked good. ESB.
    then remake remake.

SO I say
    1-ROTS
    2-AOTC
    3-ESB

Infact in 1999 he should have remade recast etcetc

ANH

ESB

ROTJ all in digital

then he should be just starting now on the prequels .

All done in spirit and seriousness of ROTS.

thats it as far as im concerned

23. RW-D2

RW-D2 Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2005
    This is very hard

1. Revenge of the sith / the empire strikes back:
    I just can't choose. They're both very dark and painful. I don't know what hurts the most: Anakin turning tot the dark side or Luke finding out that Vader is his father.
    2. Return of the jedi: Beautiful setting, the ewoks remain one of my favourite characters in the saga and of course the dramatic end. It's still the best ending of a story I've ever seen.
    3. The phantom menace: best lightsaber fight ever.
    4. Attack of the clones: The good things are the development of Anakin's character, the fight between Yoda and Dooku, but the romance between Anakin and Padmé is pretty boring
    5. A new hope: It's still a great movie but the introduction of the characters takes long (which is natural, cause it was after all the first movie) and that is why it cannot be compared totthe sequels and prequels that are far more emotional.

24. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    1. A New Hope - absolutely the best. Purest magic. Lucas' best work ever.

2. Empire Strikes Back - pretty perfect storyline, acting, dialogue. Gripping.

3. Revenge of the Sith - (sadly, it got bumped back from #2 to # 3 after my second viewing) - most emotional. The most tragic. Good story, for the most part. Awesome completion of the political plotline set up from two films ago.

4. Return of the Jedi - highly satisfactory triumph of the good guys over evil, Imperialism, and machines.

5. 6. The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones trade places. The good parts of both are totally great - Duel of the Fates, Qui-Gon's funeral, Kamino clone facility, Shmi's death and Tusken slaughter, battle of Geonosis, Jedi Temple on Coruscant. The bad parts are totally horrible - podrace, Gungans, droid armies, teenage romance, dull characters, plodding storylines.

25. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    ESB
    ROTS
    ROTJ
    ANH
    TPM
    AOTC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.