main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics After TROS (only read if you've seen movie)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Maythe14thBeWithYou, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Knowing what we know what would you like to see from our characters in future comics or novels I suppose?

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Rey rebuilding the Jedi Order for good this time. Don’t have it be destroyed in another 30 years.

3. Gantarat

Gantarat Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 19, 2019
    Mom! I thought my great grandpa is Anakin Skywalker!!!

Alpha-Red likes this.
  4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    It seems Rey used a part of her staff to build her lightsaber. I want to know what she did with the rest of her staff. [face_tee_hee]

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I already have a thread on this, just posted in a day or two ago. Perhaps merge and add the TROS spoiler line?

6. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Sorry, didn't see it. Yea, a merge would be cool.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No, no thread merge - the threads can fight for our entertainment.

Two threads enter, one thread leaves.

8. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Going in I was so apprehensive about what'd happen tp everyone so now knowing I'd like to see Chewie and Lando or Poe and their adventures. Also, we almost NEED a comic of Rey training new Jedis, comic, novel, I don't care I'm there.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Just saw it today...and am wondering if it is supposed to be double bladed...looks like both ends look the same to me.

As far as storylines...I am kind of disappointed that the Sith are dead. I always thought that they should always continue in one form. This is why I have always advocated for Maul to have had an apprentice.

Also loved seeing Wedge...but wish his role had been a little more substantial like Lando's was.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Barriss_Coffee and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's a bit short though. Double-ended ones need a long middle to really work well. TV Tropes actually suggests hers is designed with a one-handed rather than two-handed grip:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/StarWarsRey
    • One-Handed Zweihänder: Downplayed. Though certainly not the size typical of this trope, lightsabers are nonetheless traditionally shown to primarily be two-handed weapons. Rey is one of the few characters shown to habitually user hers one-handed. By the end of Rise of Skywalker she has constructed her own lightsaber that's designed with a one-handed hilt to fit her fighting style.

Chris0013 likes this.
  11. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I was thinking more like Exar Kun's...his was a normal length hilt that had emitters at both ends.

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That might have been partly due to the art. Later depictions of the same lightsaber make it look a little longer than a regular one, even if not quite the full saberstaff length:

KOTOR comics:
    [​IMG]

13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Huh, just looking on Wookieepedia...the double-bladed lightsaber pre-dates TPM?

14. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Kun was created in 94 for the Jedi Academy Trilogy and then adapted into the Tales of The Jedi comic series. The saber first appeared in 95.
    [​IMG]

Daneira, Jedi Ben and Iron_lord like this.
  15. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    That normal length hilt design really wouldn't work at all for fighting with 2 blades. His entire thing would be spinning it one handed... it sould not be an intimidating weapon, with him twirling it in his fingertips. Prepare to lose Exar..

IG: @jedisufism

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I treat KotoR's longer hilt as a little retcon that makes it work better.

Mia Mesharad and Dawud786 like this.
  17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    While I would have loved him to have at least one more line, the fact they brought Wedge into the tale makes me hope that perhaps they'll include him in more New Republic-era stories. The "Status of Canon" thread that was recently made has an ongoing discussion about how cautious they've been in developing that era, but hopefully they can take Wedge's cameo in TROS as a jumping point for stories. He's probably never going to appear again in a movie (at least not older Wedge), so they might as well have fun with the character. Plus he's been keeping tabs with Lando, which is just begging for a story.

Regarding the Sith: Do we know yet how unified or fractured the Sith are in this version of canon? If TROS happened in the old canon, I'd assume Palpatine was referring to all the Sith existing in him to mean "all the Sith from the Bane line", and not... all those other Sith. There were so many factions calling themselves "Sith" in the old EU, I couldn't keep them straight. I'm under the impression the new EU hasn't gotten as crazy yet, so Palpatine might very well have ended the Sith line. But judging how crazy it got in the old EU, I wonder if we haven't heard the last of them.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You expect Kun to fight fair?

19. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I think it was supposed to be a surprise. Dueling with one blade...and at the right time pop put the other blade.

Sarge and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Hey @Sarge, any comment on whether a double-ended sword is practical in any way? I'm thinking the extra weight of the second blade would make it a definite no, but even if it were weightless like a lightsaber, wouldn't it severely hinder your range of motion?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    @Alpha-Red , Ray Parks demonstrated that it is feasible for a master martial artist to use a double bladed weapon effectively. However, for lowly mortal swordsmen like me, I would definitely not choose one if I had to fight for my life. Like you said, the extra weight would make it a lot slower than a single blade, and it would be difficult to perform many normal sword attacks without striking yourself with the extra blade. Experts with staff weapons can use both ends effectively, but they're also coming in contact with the near end of the staff on a regular basis. With a lightsaber blade, that would be problematic, i.e. fatal. So, I can accept it as a practical weapon for a Jedi martial artist, but not for regular people.

22. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    lol, I made that previous post and mentioned blade weight, and just afterwards noticed your "light saber" post in the Star Wars Memes thread.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  24. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Exactly. A staff is one thing, a 30-36" blade is another entirely. Whether your hilt is 12" or 24" long, it's still going to be tough to wield effectively. Only preternatural Force senses could make this practicable.

IG: @jedisufism

Sarge likes this.
  25. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    After he finishes his journey with Jannah, perhaps Lando could be one of the leaders of the new government. He's obviously respected enough for the people of the galaxy to listen to him when it mattered the most.

He'd probably need some coaxing, but I think it would be an interesting new side of the character we haven't seen before.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020