main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST After TROS, where do you think Rey & Kylo will rank amongst your favorite SW characters?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    Title is pretty self explanatory tbh.

I love Rey more than I thought possible for a new addition to the Star Wars cannon. I think he will be firmly established for me as my 3th favorite character ever behind Han Solo and Obi-Wan Kenobi.

And for Kylo/Ben Solo, I find him to be the most compelling villain the franchise ever had. I'm truly waiting for what JJ will do with him. Right now, I'd rank him as 7th, behind Solo, Kenobi, Rey, Anakin/Vader, Luke and Yoda.

Darth Caliban and Darth Luch like this.
  2. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    If Reylo becomes a thing, then both characters go downhill for me. Basically, I don't want them to do anything that I would see as wildly detrimental to their characters. And I really don't like Kylo as a villain or as a character.

As to your question, I think Rey along with Finn (I wish you included all the ST characters) will be... decently ranked after this movie. Poe Dameron is also pretty good IMHO. I think this movie will help set the new characters right, in my point of view.

3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I find them to be nothing characters that are in stories poorly told so in terms of major or featured characters they certainly will be at the end of the list when talking about.

It's possibly though highly unlikely at this point that IX will do something of note with them to save them from being completely abysmal characters to just poor ones but that would take an amazing movie the chances of which I think are unlikely in the extreme.

The first thing that would need to be done is to make any sense of the versions of Rey and Ren that exist in TFA to the different versions that exist in TLJ.

4. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    How can we know before RoS comes out? TFA Rey I rank very high. TFA Kylo I rank somewhat high. TLJ Rey and Kylo I rank very low. It all comes down to their story and what JJ does with them. At this point, they’re both still pretty empty ciphers two movies in because the writers have been focused on mystery boxes and subversions instead of story. Waiting for some good characterization.

I also wish you included Finn and Poe in the question. They’re both higher than Rey and Kylo to me. I’m most excited for Finn in IX.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  5. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I really wish this thread had been about all the characters in the ST rather than just Rey and Kylo.

Other than that, I basically agree with you.

6. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    I'm hoping Rey redeems herself in my eyes so I don't feel inclined to add a disclaimer to my tattoo lol. I can't stand Kylo, I'm not a fan of the bad guys. He's solidly a bad guy, whatever happens. I can't wait to see what Connix is up to, I'm so glad Billie is still in the gffa!

7. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Three things I'm most excited for with this movie, in no particular order:

-Lando Calrissian

-Rey/Finn

-Luke's resurrection

Of course, I may be getting my hopes up with the last two, but I could see it happening. And if not? It'll still be a decent movie, I feel.

8. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    very low, Kylo is such a boring villain and uninteresting, last thing I wanted to see in SW is a fanboy villain. The ST is sometimes too meta in there, which is very out of place. Give me General Grievous (my previously lowest ranked villain) over a tantrum throwing man child. At least Grievous is cool in appearance and using 4 lightsabers is unique. It depends on what they do in IX with him, redemption vs full fledge villain???

Rey is still an open book waiting for IX before knowing but agreed with others TLJ took her in a bad place. She still has to try to live up to Luke's legacy in some way. Otherwise what was the point of bringing Luke back and everything we got from his story in ST if it doesn't honor him in some way. That's the issue with her being his Jedi Heir.

9. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Top ten Star War characters of all time.

In Europe top six.

Darth Luch likes this.
  10. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Hm I think I’ll like Kylo a lot more after RoS :)

Darth Luch likes this.
  11. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Pretty low. Very two-dimensional characters with a boring story to back them up. If Finn and Rey started off as Jedi and were facing a new threat different from the Imperials, then they'd be higher.

Kylo is just a less interesting Anakin to me. Nothing more, nothing less.

12. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Rey is already a favorite. I also love both Poe and Finn. Kylo is the most interesting SW villain to me, but no one can really top Vader, I think. But the OT three will probably always rule, if just for nostalgia. But I adore Rey as a character.

Lost_Hope and Darth Luch like this.
  13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    I think a number of people were hopeful after TFA.

After just TFA I would place her on the ends of the list with an incomplete and we will have to see where it goes afterwords but it's certainly better than it was after the second movie.

After just the one movie I would find it impossible to properly rank her especially since presumably she is supposed to be comparable to Anakin/Vader and Luke ideally but at least in that tier with major characters like Padme, Obi-Wan and the like as opposed to say Mace, Maul, Dooku and the like yet I would say that is the quandary with both her and Ren.

On the one hand they get the story focus and the movie screen time like they are supposed like that top tier of characters but in terms of actual realization of character they are more like the second tier where their backgrounds aren't really gone into and we react to them by what they do and then might infer based on the story. This is perfectly fine for those characters because they aren't the focus. What's more those characters are far clearer than Rey and Ren because we know their limitations and place in the story.

Rey and Ren are supposed to be important but we don't really know why. The answer seems to be "well because they are the hero and villain and that is enough." except it really isn't. Why is she supposed to be the hero and why is he supposed to be the villain? A weak hero and a weak villain that through 2 movies still have no story that makes any sense.

14. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    Well, no sense to you. Let's be clear about that. But I don't think it's possible to contextualize the characters completely at this point.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked TFA Rey a lot. She was a survivor who knew how to take charge of a situation and get things done. The only part I didn’t like is the having to go back to Jakku, and that was worth it for Finn’s line, “Why does everyone always want to go back to Jakku?” TLJ Rey was terrible. The trailer for RoS is promising for Rey as a character, so I’m hoping I like her again after this movie.

I’ve never liked Kylo beyond a mild interest in how he became the way he is. I still have that interest with the condition that the reasoning is not “Han, Luke, or Leia made him that way.” I like villains, but I like villains who own who they are and don’t make excuses for it, as opposed to villains who claim they don’t really want to be villains but do nothing to change their behavior. RoS could take him in a direction to give me more sympathy for him but if it follows the previous two movies, it won’t. He’s Anakin without Anakin’s fun side.

Shadao, PendragonM, EECHUUTA and 7 others like this.
  16. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Near the bottom.

Even further down if we're including characters from the EU works, new and old, such as video games, books, comics and cartoons(and anything else I might've missed).

17. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Very high. At the moment, a lot of that has to do with the fact that I just really like how both actors portray the characters, and while I admit that's maybe a shallow reason, it really does make a difference to me. That's one of the issues I had with many characters in the prequels-- they might have been interesting characters, but I couldn't warm up to them because the performances just didn't resonate with me.

If TROS gives Rey and Kylo added depth, then they'll rise even higher. I'm hopeful from what we've heard so far.

18. Darth Luch

Darth Luch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 28, 2016
    Very hight too, I really like them both.

It is hard to say where I will rank them after TRoS but so far KR is top 3 and Rey is top 10.

19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    I wish it was clear in the movies where they were going which is the point.

No sense in the context of the kind of characters they are presumably supposed to be in the movies. TFA gives us one version of the characters while TLJ gives us different versions to TFA.

It's no great guess to figure out which way JJ is going to go.

I would say almost at all. TFA gave us Rey and Rey with any number of potential pasts and futures possible to. Presuming JJ will almost if not completely dispense with the TLJ versions entirely then it's back to TFA as the base with whatever happens in TROS to fit a past and future of some kind around the TFA incarnations.

That's a ton of work to do in one movie along with trying to connect to Lucas' movies. First they need within this one movie to do all the work that wasn't done in the previous two in terms of getting the casual audience up to speed to bring forth the connective story threads that Lucas wove over 6 movies. Balance of the Force, the prophecy, the Chosen One, Force Ghosts, some history of the Jedi and Sith and the like.

That means some massive exposition scenes which need to be skillfully crafted as much as possible to seem like they are being told naturally. In that respect the empty vessels of Rey and Ren will allow that to happen. As we find out about them while they are finding the story so can the audience.

Shadao, ChildOfWinds and starocean90 like this.
  20. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    Thing is, by movie 3 of a trilogy I expect (and need) to be fully bonded to the characters so I`m invested in watching the pay-off to their story. Finding them is what the first movie is for. And the second movie should keep and deepen that bonding experience ideally, it should not cut me off from the characters completely.

I think both Rey and Kylo are portrayed by competent actors but in terms of main characters throughout the trilogy, I rank them last.

21. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
    In Top 10 probably, but it's still Leia, Obi-Wan and now Luke after TLJ that I like. I like Rey more, she is both extremely strong and vulnerable person but Kylo is much more interesting character. Watching Kylo's journey in ST is pure entertainment.

22. yodasoda2187

yodasoda2187 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    I like Rey and Kylo quite a bit. TFA was really good at introducing all of the characters (Poe and Finn too) in a way that made them instantly likable and/or relatable. The prequel characters I had trouble getting into except for Obi-Wan. Anakin and Padme's dialogue and romance felt so clumsily written it took me out of the film many times, even in important moments of ROTS. It is nice having good actors and at least good enough dialogue for the sequels.

23. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    It will depend on the finale, although I don't see them moving a lot on my list.

I like Rey a lot. Surely she will appear in SW again, be it live action TV or movies; there is no way they will stop using her character for good. I don't know that she will be in any of the upcoming movies since they will be in a different time period, but I could see her in a TV show sooner than later.

24. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    I don't see the characters in TLJ at odds with the characters in TFA. You do, which is fair enough, but I do not. Did I see characters trying to find their way? Sure. But I expect that in second act of a three act play. I expect in TROS, these characters will hew close to their essence, but informed by the experiences they encountered.

Lost_Hope likes this.
  25. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    None of the ST characters are particularly well-written.