main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST After TROS, where do you think Rey & Kylo will rank amongst your favorite SW characters?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I agree to an extent. The concept of a “petulant prince” who displays a kind of spoiled, tantrum-like behaviour is quite interesting. However, unless this trilogy forms a prequel trilogy to a new trilogy, we have just one movie left to resolve the character one way or another. I don’t think that “THE DAY AFTER...” time transition from VII to VIII has helped at all.

We’ll just have to see how this plays out.

2. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    But we're not getting a "the day after" transition this time around. Some time (we don't know how much, but it's seeming like it's probably something like the gaps between the OT, a year or two) has transpired, we don't really know where his head is at in this other than he's presumably top-dog in the FO and he's still out there doing darksider stuff like raiding worlds and trying to kill Rey.

Whether he's sort of colder & more composed/mature like Vader by now is anyone's guess, he just might be. *Shrugs* If he's not it's not much of a problem either, there are still ways to resolve this in a satisfying way over two hours of movie, but there's definitely nothing to say he hasn't evolved a bit over time either. Just might be the case.

3. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    To me Kylo is a bit like what I imagine unsuited Vader would be like.

If he had defeated Obi Wan on Mustafar and not been so seriously injured and trapped in a outdated, defective life support system Anakin would have been -

Young
    very strong in the Force
    Very aggressive in his fighting style
    prone to mood swings and losing his temper
    Conflicted between light and Dark

Because of his injuries, Vader became a different person than he would have been and to me probably a great deal like the Kylo we see in the ST.

4. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I really dont think anyone can have a good answer to this question until several months of contemplation after watching Ep9. Currently these characters are underwhelming for me and I didnt want to pass a full judgment until I see Ep9 and then linger on it for awhile.

5. Knightstalker137

Knightstalker137 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2003
    They’d be very low on my list. And by low, I mean not even on it. I consider them bad fan fiction characters from two equally bad Star Wars films. I gave them the benefit of the doubt after TFA, but after TLJ, I won’t be fooled again.

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Bottom of the list. They're both very bland and forgettable characters for me. I think the supporting cast of the ST far outshines the lead protagonist and antagonist.

7. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I can't wait for the DJ, Rose, Holdo, Zuvio and Unkar spin offs

8. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    Honestly, I hope to forget they exist after this movie.

9. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    For me, right now, Rey and Kylo would complete my Top-5 Star Wars characters behind Han, Vader and Obi-Wan.

10. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    "After TROS, where do you think Rey & Kylo will rank amongst your favorite SW characters?"

How Rey was presented in TFA and what could have been an awesome story overall she could've ended up in my top ten.
    But......TLJ screwed everything up and I don't think TROS can save this sinking ship.

Then we have Kylo, as character he gives me mixed feelings, Adam Driver's acting is convincing so that's not the problem.
    But as a villain, IDK, Palpatine and Vader are still my favorites in that category and Kylo somehow doesn't fit there. This may be due to Kylo being a youngish character and therefore having a different charisma.

11. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    It seems several have already made up their minds, and want to not like them. Why not wait until after EP 9? There's always a sliver of hope.

12. Oryx-I

Oryx-I Force Ghost star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I liked Rey enough until she started out-smarting Han Solo in piloting and repairing the Falcon and getting fully developped Force powers out of nowhere.

I liked Kylo Ren enough until Poe made fun of him and he didn't shut him up.

There's no way they'll get higher than the level of enjoyment of a Porkins or Rune Haako for me at the end of this trilogy. I'm looking forward to never hearing about them again.

13. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    As it stands, they would not appear on my list of favourite characters.

We'll see if that changes after TROS, but I'm not holding out much hope, but there is always hope.

14. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Both top ten... Especially kylo

15. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    For Rey, I'd say she probably ranks near the bottom or just outside my list of top ten favorite ST characters, but maybe she can rise in the rankings if her character is done more justice in TROS than in TLJ. For Kylo, he doesn't really rank as a favorite character of mine even as a villain. To me, Vader, Palpatine, Maul, Dooku, and Krennic all work better for me as villains. He outranks Snoke I think but that's about it.

16. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    IX will be huge for all of the ST characters but especially Rey & Ben Solo. I expect both will climb into many people’s top 10s and even a sizable number of top 5s. This ratio will grow as younger audience members come of age and join the discussions the same way PT perception altered with that generation coming of age.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  17. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    I have Rey right around 10 due to a lack of development in my eyes during TLJ. I expect her to move up my list with ROS. Kylo on the other hand is not on that list. Never have I wanted to like a character this much only to be disappointed. The thought if him having the fate being leaked only makes me want to care less not more about him.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  18. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Why is this thread just about Rey and Kylo?

Assuming the leaks are true, after RoS I expect Kylo to remain ranked exactly where he is now to me - dead last among SW characters. Basically everything I dislike about the ST and what it has done to the saga as a whole boils down to him. Meanwhile, he's an irritating, boring character with, for me, absolutely no redeeming qualities at all. I don't love to hate him. I just don't want him on screen. If I don't see RoS, it will be because whatever happens with Rey and Finn can't make up for me sitting through his scenes. The one time I tried to rewatch TLJ, I shut it off when he showed up. It wasn't very good before that, and then there was him, so it wasn't for me.

As for Rey, I liked her a lot after TFA. I dislike her now. She's not top ten for me. The RoS leaks aren't very promising. I don't dislike her the way I do Kylo, but that's not high praise.

Finn is really the only ST character I feel any emotional investment in. If he isn't treated like a joke or a sap in RoS, and gets to be an actual hero, he'll be... Maybe top 20 for me. If there's a secret FS reveal for him, he jumps to top 10 with a bang.

19. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    I started not standing Rey when she pulled that "it's the compressor" stuff with Han and it only got worse. By the end of TLJ, I really couldn't take her. I wouldn't go out of my way to see Ridley in anything else but I wouldn't object.

Kylo is DEAD LAST of characters in Star Wars. I saw him in an old L&O the other month and I remain unconvinced of his talent and completely bewildered at his popularity, especially among casting agents. I just don't get it and I never will - after Kylo, I have no desire to watch anything else he's in, ever. It bleeds over.

20. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    For reasons more emotional than analytical, I like both Rey and Kylo, but how I end up feeling about them is going to depend, hugely, on Episode 9.

While the 3d movie of a trilogy should always matter, of course, I think a lot more rides on this movie, regarding character assessment, than is often the case. I'm not saying that, for example, what Luke, or Leia, or Han did in ROTJ couldn't have impacted how I felt about them, but in many ways, I entered ROTJ with a pretty good idea of who they were. Luke was reeling from a lot at the end of ESB, but I still felt I basically "got" who he was. Same for Han, and Leia.

Rey? For lots and lots of reasons discussed at great length here and elsewhere, there's a lot we don't know about her. Kylo isn't as mysterious, in the same sense, but there is still plenty up in the air about his motivations and goals, post-Snoke and post his confrontation with Luke. How their stories wrap up, what answers we get, is going to heavily impact my final "verdict".

As many others have noted, there's a lot of pressure on SKYWALKER. I'm hopeful, and looking forward to it, but yeah... a lot on the line.

21. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    I think all the performers are talented and given the right material could have been iconic. Unfortunately I don't see these movies (or the new characters) aging well. I like the thought of Finn, Rey, Kylo and Poe being compelling enough for me to fork over Hot Toys money, but definitely no to that in reality. I'd certainly purchase Krennic , Erso, and Cassian before any of the ST cast.

22. Alien Vanguard

Jan 1, 2015
    This goes to show just how wildly different the opinion of the SW fanbase is. Kylo is among my top ten. My bottom dweller? Make a guess. He has long ears and fumbles around like a clown in front of a kindergarten audience. It's very cliche to pick on him, but there's a good reason why he's down in the abyss (sorry George).

Now, as for where they'll rank after TROS, that depends on the execution of what's in the leaks, presuming they're true. My guess is mid to high term.

jeangreyforever likes this.
  23. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Yes I knew I was ranking Kylo below Jar Jar. That's wasn't an oversight.

24. Alien Vanguard

Jan 1, 2015
    I didn't say it was.

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  25. Artorian_Stormtrooper

Artorian_Stormtrooper Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2019
    Rey- Somewhere in the top 10
    Kylo- In the Pit...Never to be seen again

Deliveranze and alwayslurking like this.