main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga After Vader & Palps, who is the third biggest villain?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Dartht Punk, Jul 18, 2014.

1. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Dooku. Without a shadow of a doubt.

2. ExiIe

ExiIe Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 11, 2014
    either george lucas or dave filoni,

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

:p

Oh and for movies/TCW, my answer is Dooku.

Include the "LU" and my answer is Darth Plagueis - I'd actually put him above Vader also, and maybe above even Sidious.

4. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Dath Maul was an attack dog and if we draw from TCW he had training in other arts besides being a one being wrecking machine. Not sure what he could and would have accomplished if he hadn't been bisected. But using TCW he would have been a force to be reckoned with.

Count Dooku does seem rather gentlemanly which seems a little out of place for a Sith but if Sidious put on the act of a kindly grandfatherly figure to Anakin and who knows how many beings than why not Dooku? I felt that there were implications that Dooku had been helping Sidious for some time before he left the Jedi Order. It was implied in TCW that he had helped Sidious to create the Clone Army around the events of TPM and some of our information seems to say that Dooku didn't leave the Jedi Order until after the events of TPM. Serving the Sith while pretending to be a Jedi? If that is the case then he deserves brownie points for being a baddie. He also killed a fellow Jedi apparently so he could place an order on the Clone Army in the name of the deceased Jedi.

Grand Moff Tarkin is pretty villainous with his thoughts and actions in ANH and his words in TCW shows that he's rotten to some extent. I have heard that the REAL reason he destroyed Alderaan wasn't just becausee Dantooine was remote but to show the galaxy that NO ONE was exempt from destruction. If you listen to the commentary for ANH George says that the Emperor is on the top and Vader and Tarkin share the second level with other high up officers and officials in the Empire. While they do enjoy some perks if the Emperor says 'play nice' to them they have to 'play nice'. Also Vader had been told to respect Tarkin while on the Death Star since the Death Star was, for the time being, Tarkin's Domain. Vader doesn't seem to like Tarkin since it seemed to me that when Tarkin tells him to release Motti Vader was basically 'whatever, I made my point'. One time it sounded vaguely sarcastic.

Jabba the Hutt is a criminal with his own empire if you will. Not knowing a lot about kingpins, mob bosses or the top dog of a Mafia I can't say if he's worse than any other crime lord if he had the same sway. But it was implied somewhere that Jabba and the other Hutts bribed Republic Officials to stay out of Hutt Business and the like. If that is true it would explain a little bit why Tatooine and other similar planets at one point were colony worlds for Republic Citizens ended up under Hutt Control.

In many ways these four are big villians in there own right.

I will admit that when I started this I had hoped to scratch at least two names off the lost but instead I found arguments for them to be big baddies.

rumsmuggler, Yanksfan and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Most definitely Darth Tyranus/Count Dooku.

CoolyFett likes this.
  6. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013

DanielUK likes this.
  7. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Filoniverse Star Wars....has expanded the GFFA. It would be great to see what he and staff could create without the limitations of episodes 1-6....

Anyway top 3 badguys of Star Wars

Palpatine
    Count Dooku
    Darth Vader

8. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    I'd say Dooku.

He's probably the one most responsible for orchestrating the fall of the Jedi and the Republic after Palpatine.

And he is evil- maybe not as evil as Maul but still.

The thing with Tarkin is that while he is a great character and all, he really only appears in Episode IV and in a few episodes of the Clone Wars, and his role really translates more towards keeping control over the Outer Rim during the rule of the Empire. He's never particularly key to Palpatine's plans in terms of the Sith, and is more of a case of someone who went upwards in the ranks of the military and ends up becoming Governor.

I can think of a couple of other military officers that could have taken his role.

Meanwhile with Dooku, I think that he was perfect for Palpatine's plans. Not only is he a very interesting character because of the fact that he trained Qui-Gon, but also because he foreshadows in Episode II Anakin's fall. His charisma and political will gave him the chance to be the head of the Separatists and be considered as a great leader in the eyes of them (much in the same way Palpatine was for the Republic).

So yes, I choose Dooku

Jedi Knight Fett and Iron_lord like this.
  9. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I think we just needed to see Dooku DO some evil things in the films.Other than Fight Yoda, Kenobi and Skywalker, put a hit out on Padme and mouth off to Mace what else is evil about him.

Marco1907 likes this.
  10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't think that the word "evil" can really be applied to Dooku. He's simply someone with less common ideals who was forced to defend his movement due to the Republic beginning the political aggression

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    As Palpatine's lieutenant, the war is something he actually wants, rather than a "last resort".

And there's no reason to believe he actually cares about the movement and their goals.

CoolyFett likes this.
  12. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Likewise, is there not a lack of evidence that he does not care?

I have a headcanon that Dooku was sort of reluctantly forced into it by Palpatine. Palpatine knows that Qui-Gon was Dooku's apprentice; Dooku knew that Maul was Palpatine's apprentice; Dooku knew that Maul killed Qui-Gon. I like to think that Dooku was filled with something of a sense of fear, whether he actively knew it or not, so perhaps his mind was clouded and he was much more easily persuaded into such aggressive movements

I believe some EU goes into Dooku's mind in which he acknowledges that some of his morals had been twisted by the dark side, yet at the same time, he feels a hint of remorse for all he'd done

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    James Luceno seems to be the "go-to guy" for canonisation of old EU material - his new canon book Tarkin makes a number of references to EU material - canonising those individual references.

Like "Immobilizer-418-class Interdictor cruisers" or "Vader went to Murkhana shortly after the end of the Clone Wars to perform an execution".

That said - the chronology of Dooku's fall and Dooku's activities is somewhat hazy - early Luceno book (Labyrinth of Evil has him become Darth Tyranus shortly before leaving the Jedi Order - late Luceno book (Darth Plagueis) has him leave the Jedi Order first, then seek out Darth Sidious - with the intention of allying with him.

Movie novelizations are "canon where they align with what's seen on screen" - which leaves the canonicity of internal monologues somewhat hazy - but arguably still canon. And Dooku's thoughts in Revenge of the Sith are very much selfish, ruthless, and devoted to the Sithly goal of establishing an Empire.

14. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I personally don't care for what is "official" canon, Iron_lord. If that is what makes you happy though, feel free to continue with that :)
    I'll interpret characters' inner monologues in the way that I personally see them

CoolyFett and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  15. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014
  16. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Grand Moff Tarkin blew up an entire planet, a peaceful and weaponless one at that, just to show that he could. Also he seemed to command even Vader's respect....so I will go with Tarkin.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    James Luceno (writer of the Tarkin novel) had some interesting things to say in the recent Star Wars Insider 153 interview.

A few of the more notable of the questions answered:

Q: How does Tarkin differ from the other main villains in the Star Wars pantheon?
    A: Tarkin's skills don't derive from the Force, but from the power of his intellect and his long years of military indoctrination. His sense of loyalty is not undermined by naked ambition. His seeming heartlessness is rooted in the belief that order is preferable to chaos, and that laws are what separate true sentients from beasts. For Tarkin, morality is situational, and compassion is little more than misguided sentiment.

Q: When writing the novel, what surprised you about Tarkin's character?
    A: Tarkin kept demonstrating his analytical abilities and tactical skills. He's anything but playful, but he enjoys a good joke or an inspired prank. He is an oligarch of the most extreme sort, and believes that life is, at its core, violent and predatory.

Q: A New Hope portrays Tarkin as a prim and polished technocrat who hides a nature so savage that he feels no guilt when it comes to annihilating whole planets. What from his background did you imagine made him so ruthless?
    A: The question goes to the heart of the novel. Tarkin's world view is shaped by a series of challenges and what amount to initiations that commence when he is eleven years old. To a degree - in that many of the trials are imposed on him - he is "created" to be the callous commander that he eventually becomes.

Q: While reading the novel, one can't help but hear echoes of Tarkin's famous line from the first film: "Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station." Why does Tarkin believe fear is the supreme means of control?
    A: Even with the military might the Empire has amassed, its ships and forces can't be everywhere. Fear, then - of brutal reprisal - substitutes for force. This is Tarkin's true purpose in destroying the planet Alderaan: the far-flung worlds need to be on notice that none enjoy special privilege; that none are indispensable. Strict adherence to the dictates of the Empire is all that matters. Stray at your own peril.

Q: When tasked to pen a novel about one of the galaxy's cruelest villains - a man who ordered planetary genocide without hesitation - there is a a danger of making such an evil man seem sympathetic. How did you strike the right balance?
    A: I've found that the only way to do this - with Tarkin, Vader, the Emperor, or Darth Plagueis - is by creating a grayscale background against which events swirl, and about which the narrator is largely nonjudgmental - almost scientific in his dispassion.

18. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    This is why I dont like the canon arguement. I want to see multiple versions of characters.

Seagoat likes this.
  19. Master Fisto

Master Fisto Jedi Knight

Jun 10, 2013
    Grand Moff Tarkin without a doubt. After that its anyone's game! Jabba, Count, Maul, Fett(s).

20. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Tarkin. The only character other than Palps who had control over Vader.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Tarkin he blew up a planet do I have to say more.

22. TIE Fighter Pilot

TIE Fighter Pilot Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2014
    I'm going with the Empire itself. It's not like they all cheered "They're dead!!" at the end of ROTJ , unlike in Wizard Of Oz, the Empire retreated to regroup.

23. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    For now I'd say Maul because he was the one who came closest to ruining Palatine's plans before ROTS

24. Pax Sithus

Pax Sithus Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2014
    Maul and Tarkin.

Marco1907 likes this.
  25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Dooku easily.

CoolyFett likes this.