main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Aftermath: Empire's End (book 3) by Chuck Wendig

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Jan 1, 2017.

1. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Yes. I have always wondered if Snoke is Rakatan.

AusStig likes this.
  2. beetzello

beetzello Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 17, 2002
    In my head he looked more like Steve Buscemi.

And Yupe Tashu? Peter Lorre!

vncredleader likes this.
  3. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Something interesting this book opens up:
    A whole new parallel setting for books, games, and television. While of course we can have stories following the NR from Aftermath to Bloodline, there's also the possibility of following the narrative of Rae Sloane in the Unknown Regions, and her tensions with the nascent (?) First Order. That's an entire 'closed' setting with TREMENDOUS storytelling potential.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hey folks: an advisory. The spoiler period for this thread is going to expire tomorrow. We will still require spoiler tags in other threads for another week (unless specified, like in the Jakku thread).

But if you're still reading or haven't finished the book, I'd be careful in this thread.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  5. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    It's true that

Han doesn't want to be a father? There's something negative about him or Leia/Luke?

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No, nothing like that.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Haven't finished reading the book yet, but from what I heard many Naboo are giving Jar Jar a hard time for proposing Palpatine get emergency powers. Is there any mention of Panaka? Wookieepedia seems to indicate that, like his EU version, Panaka is a Moff loyal to Palpatine and giving him gifts circa ROTJ. One would think the Naboo would be even harder on someone who supported Palpatine up until the Battle of Endor than on Jar Jar who probably realized his mistake circa ANH and the dissolution of the Senate.

8. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013

I pictured Christoph Waltz as Rax. Though less the brilliant field man from his Tarantino movies, and more the ax-crazy sociopath from the last Bond movie.

BigAl6ft6, beetzello and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    The mention of Moff Panaka still appears in the canon version of Complete Locations, yes.

10. JediDingo

JediDingo Jedi Master star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm going to just say it. I may be shunned for this. But...I think Gallius Rax is a better villain than Thrawn. Also, I picture Sam Witwer as Rax. Someone younger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AusStig and Stymi like this.
  11. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

So as of tomorrow, we don't have to use spoiler tags in this thread?

12. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    Using tags just to be safe

Could anyone post the excerpt with Rax feeling 'worried' about fruit leaving behind seeds? I believe it happens pretty close to when he pushes Tashu down the well. I thought the language used was interesting, to say the least.

I also wanted to point out the interesting exposition Wendig provided regarding Han and Ben. There's a section towards the end of the book (possibly the epilogue?) that describes Han feeling jealous of the force bond that Ben has with Leia. He's jealous because he'll never get to have that with Ben, and because of that, he feels like less of a father. This sounds like an extremely important point regarding how Han and Ben's relationship plays out. It basically sounds like Han never believed in his ability to become a great father because he lacked the force connection with Ben that Leia had. This adds more meaning behind his line in TFA "If Luke couldn't reach him, how could I?" He still can't get past the idea of not sharing a force connection with his son. He thinks Luke has a better chance of connecting with Ben because Luke is a powerful force user. Leia, however, has to remind him again: "Luke is a Jedi. YOU'RE his father."

I just thought that was a really intriguing piece of backstory that I wasn't expecting to see.

OneTrueOverlord and PCCViking like this.
  13. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001

Based on some cut dialogue between Han and Leia in TFA, it sounds like Han may have been closer with Ben than Leia was though? Leia: "You could always see him clearer than I could." Han: "I don't know what I saw". The scene was cut, so it's technically not canon, but it raises the interesting possibility that Ben and Han were actually more closely bonded than Leia and Ben were.

14. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    Have to say hats off to Chuck Wendig. When I first tried to read Aftermath years ago I was so down on it and the whole direction they were taking. Life Debt and now Empire's End have really given me hope that the time period between ROTJ and TFA is going to be explored in a truly fascinating way.

In the end I have to say I'm glad we are getting a very different version of events then in the old EU. If it was the same what would be the point? Bring on Episode VIII. Bring on more books. This book excited me for the future of Star Wars in a way that I never expected. I want to see where this is all going. Is Palpatine really behind it all still? Is there something else at play? BRING IT ON.

15. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016

Yes, it explain why Snoke wants Han's death as his test. Not Leia or Luke, but Han. And Kylo said that Ben was foolish and weak as his father, it's like Ben and Han had a lot in common and "Ben" (like Anakin to Vader) represent what Kylo was in the light side.

16. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    Found the Rax excerpt that I was looking for.

(After Rax pushes Tashu into the well starting the chain reaction that will 'destroy everything')

"Palpatine was right. The artifacts contain a great deal of energy. And now they have dropped into the core of this world. With the well open, that energy will vent. So begins the chain reaction that will destroy everything. The planet will soon begin to crack. It shall break apart. It will swallow the Empire and the New Republic's fleets and soldiers whole. When it does, it will leave this galaxy to the scavengers, and the scum, rotting like a fruit lying forgotten in the dirt. Though, an idle thought troubles him. All fruit, no matter how rotten, can leave behind seeds. It's time to leave. The Imperialis awaits."

The planet didn't break apart though... Sloane stopped the reaction from finishing. The seeds have already been thrown down the well, with the essence of life. What does this mean?

AplagueOnTheWise likes this.
  17. Darth Droid

Jul 4, 2013
    Also where in the universe was C-3PO? Any theories on this one?

18. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    Although I could be wrong, it seems to me

the seeds are the punk kids he's only begun to unleash; hence, their importance to his plans.

beetzello likes this.
  19. JediDingo

JediDingo Jedi Master star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    I don't think that's what he is referring to. In context to this thoughts, it has something to do with the well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KembaSkywalker likes this.
  20. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Ooh, Watlz is a good one. I myself picture Hugo Weaving, because he was who I always saw as Thrawn, but since Rebels has made my headcanon Thrawn Lars Mikkelssen, I'll cast Hugo Weaving as Thrawn's non-union Mexican Musical Equivalent.

Very interesting... was that cut dialogue in one of the deleted scenes? Or in the script but never filmed? I don't remember ever seeing that.

21. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015

There was also that other cut scene where Kylo is on the Falcon shortly after it crashed on SKB. He seemed to be reminiscing from what I could tell? Which told me he spent some time on the Falcon before. It was a really good scene which I wished had made the cut. It would have added more to the death.

22. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    It's in the TFA Documentary where Adam and JJ are talking about what bad parents Han and Leia were LOL.

23. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Not sure if we still need spoiler tags or not. But after finishing this book I'm curious to hear other people's opinions on Rae Sloane. Does she come off as an anti-villain to anyone else?

24. Darth Droid

Jul 4, 2013

Fascinated to see where she goes from here. It seemed she was a goner for sure to me. Also I kinda hope that it turns out there are other FO people already on there way to the Eclipse or something otherwise Norra letting Sloane get away inadvertently led to the rise of the First Order.

vncredleader likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The spoiler tag requirement is now lifted for this thread. Please continue to use spoiler tags for Empire's End in other threads.