main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Aftermath: Empire's End (book 3) by Chuck Wendig

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I sadly cannot, as my copy is a hardcover and it's at my friend's house. I only ever read the book once, so I can't really recall anything specific.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

kalzeth likes this.
  2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

It's time to bring this thread to life after...A very long time, especially with the Episode 9 Trailer and hinting at Palpatine. Here are some excerpts on things that may or may not having anything to do with 9

Yupe Tashu in particular might be hinting at what is to come.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Topped off the trilogy! Still gathering the specifics comments, but overall I think it had an ok first half and a pretty solid second half. The transition between the two is a little bumpy, however. The span of time implied does not seem sufficient to turn the Imperial remnant on Jakku into a more feral force compared to what Sloane last saw before Chandrilla. The subplot stopping the NR from attacking Jakku interrupted the momentum of the story (however it ended up turning into a good subplot, i jjust wish it could have been timed earlier or reapplied to something other than Jakku directly).

That said, Sloane's story of revenge contrasted with Norra's worked well, even if i feel Norra didn't work that well as a POV character. The actual Battle of Jakku actually made me tense up and get goose bumps when they finally bring down the Ravager and during moments of the final fight in the Observatory. The battle itself may be a bit of an overview (which isn't unexpected for this trilogy's style), but apparently we get more of it in other sources so that's ok. I do wish the Starhawk's tractor beam tech had been setup earlier, however. Or that we had a picture of the class somewhere.

And, of course, the Interludes continue to be the true highlight of the series. Like getting a mini-anthology book tucked amongst the core trilogy. The Lando one was well done too- I wouldn't mind Chuck writing a full Lando story sometime.

The nods towards the Lando comic series, the vague Dark Empire echoes (which fits the overall progress of the ST thus far as well, as previously noted), as well as the implication about (part of) Mister Bones' origin were small delights and I can't wait for Mister Bones to rise up from the sands. ;)

Palpatine being petty enough to want the board wiped clean after his death is something I need to dwell on. On the one hand, I think that fits with some of the Shattered Empire stuff (from what I recall- it's been awhile) and it'll certainly be interesting to see how that plays out with whatever role Palps has in TROS. On the other, it's a shame that the Empire came to an end through a deliberate self destruct at a final stand that wasn't really a final stand. Cleaner than the EU's version of events, perhaps, but feels more like a narrative convenience at times. Seems like there would be much more efficient ways to use those resources.

Overall, it did make me feel something more in the backhalf, which is more than the other two books did.

Do we have a Review Special thread for this book? I couldn't find one on our search or Google.

My ranking: 7.75/10

Ranking NU Adult Novels so far:
    -The Last Jedi 10.0
    -Catalyst 9.5
    -Lords of the Sith 8.5
    -Aftermath: Empire's End 7.75
    -Aftermath: Life Debt 7.5
    -Tarkin 7.0
    -Aftermath 7.0

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Well I finally read Aftermath: Empire's End on Friday whilst on the bus and I finally feel that it does occur a year after ROTJ. It may not have said dates but the feeling was there. That's good for me. I enjoyed it.

5. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Upon rereading a bit, I think it did specify Jakku was at least 12 months post Endor. The timeline across the trilogy is what was fuzzy for me

6. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Mostly had to do with the fact I never got round to read it until now.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It seems like longer because of what takes place seemingly due the wear of time and events on people and such, but Leia's pregnancy sorta forces it to be in that 1 year range (whether Han's "night on Endor" guess was correct or not).

8. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I don't know if Aftermath itself says so, but Lost Stars specifically pins the Battle of Jakku at one year and four days after the Battle of Endor, so that gives the Aftermath trilogy its timeline. The first one starts a few months after ROTJ, and the Interludes give us the first day of the New Republic Senate, so that'll be useful in eventually pinning a proper timeline down.

BigAl6ft6, Daneira and vncredleader like this.
  9. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Its more it didn't feel like it was a year prior to reading the book, which I was putting off for some strange reason. Didn't help I had watched the cutscenes for Battlefront II and the agony of not having dates for a timeline similar to what Essential Atlas did for movie events beginning and the battles for the Zsinj and Thrawn Campaigns (wish that'd been spread across all further campaigns really) made that feeling known.

Reading the book has changed that feeling for me. It now feels like a year to me. Though a Galactic Timeline book would certainly come in handy.

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@The2ndQuest

Dark Empire vibes all over this place....I know one youtuber who said this is essentially the NuCanon version of the ImpCivilWar that Palpatine orchestrated at the start of Dark Empire, but even if that’s a stretch, again...Dark Empire vibes all over this book.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  11. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Yeah, the Contingency is basically just Palpatine's culling done (IMO) much better. I really disagree with those that say a year is too quick. Chuck Wendig did Lucasfilm a huge favor by setting that tone up front sith his interludes, as I feel he gave the random Joes of the galaxy some agency, and with Imperial citizens AND officials being intentionally confused by the orders of a dead man and his crazy heir it's not hard to imagine how it all went down so quickly.
    EDIT: Blasphemy kinda since I'm saying I prefer something over DE but to clarify this isn't an issue with Dark Empire itself but the stuff that was written around it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I also think you can make it work in the context of how the Empire is presented in NuCanon compared too old.....At least conceptually I think you can. Remember most of those Bantam Era books were written we didn't know how long the Empire existed, now we do so that works too...But I do think the Empire is different compared to Legends in that respects.

Not to mention Alphabet Squadron is already expansing Operation Cinder to help make the speed of the Empire's destruction 'releastic'

And the Fleet going to the Unknown Regions is canon version of the Warlords/Loyalist going to the Deep Core.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 and Darth Caliban like this.
  13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    And look how quickly various empires collapsed and broke apart in our history: how Yugoslavia fell to pieces after the fall of Communism. Granted, neither Yugoslavia or any of the Earth's empires had the equivalent of Operation Cinder to speed things along.

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Also in terms of the Empire falling cleanly

The Mandalorian i think might challenge that notion.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't have much concern with the speed of the Empire's fall. I can see it happening over the course of a year. I just take more issue with the rapid degradation. Kashyyk i get because it was cut off from supply or reenforcement, but we go from a place in Aftermath where the NR seems to have the advantage over the Empire but they're somewhat evenly matched to the point where the NR can only focus on a few theaters of war at a time to a few months later in LD where the Empire is losing but still has some very strong, peak-Empire operations going on (Rax/Sloane's fleet, hidden reserve fleets, the other council forces, etc) with normal crew, etc, to a few months later at Jakku where suddenly those same forces have become feral, undisciplined and suicidal.

You end up with maybe 2-3 months at Jakku at most. I see there being a year of hell factor going into play if they were there longer, but, oh no, a couple months on Jakku broke the Empire and years of training? A planet, while distinct for its residents from Tatooine in terms of how lost/unconnected they are from the galaxy, is essentially no different in environment from Tatooine as far as Imperial occupation goes, plus they have an entire fleet of resources and operations supporting them? Sandtroopers didn't go savage during longer deployments.

I'm fine with the timeline of events otherwise. But it would have been nice had there been a year between Chandrila and Jakku.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Aftermath was set three months after Endor, I gather, and Life Debt is two months after, and covers a month. Alphabet Squadron is between Endor and Aftermath.

So, there were six months for the Jakku bunch, and Rax pressed that feral edge hard, so I suppose its feasible but its harder to see. Six months of collecting Imperial assets and encouraging that fanatic mentality that the FO eventually had, Sloane notwithstanding.

The Empire does seem to have been rendered almost moot by the time of Empire's End, but that's to the Senate who seems to see Kuat as the massive turning point, while the military is conscious of missing assets and the like. We see that the Empire still exists in Battlefront II and Lost Stars, what with the Empire attacking Naboo again.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    EE does give the out that the fighting on Jakku lasts for months and other hold-outs are still out there in the galaxy, so ample room for more battles in the wake of the cease-fire.

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Definitely. I liked that.

It plays into Lost Stars and the Propaganda book.

BigAl6ft6 and PCCViking like this.
  19. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    By the way, it's interesting that both the epilogue to Dark Empire and the third book of the Aftermath trilogy share the same title...

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 and Vialco like this.
  20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Isn't it just? :D

PCCViking and Darth Caliban like this.
  21. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Yeah, especially if the darkness around Ben was Sheev and not Snoke or something from the Unknown Regions Which is very likely considering his return in TROS

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

Vialco and PCCViking like this.
  22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    If it pans out that way, sure. :D

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I am really interested how Mandalorian will address the Battle of Jakku and whoever Imps are around if they just ignored Rax's Big Call of Crazy Destruction or they were there, fought and bailed to the Outer Rim instead of going to the Unknown Regions to start the First Order. the fact the "fighting goes on for months" adds a bit of leeway for people to come and go, or never show up in the first place. Or they realized that Operation Cinder was crazypants and split from Sloane and Rax.

I will admit when playing Battlefront II was slightly disappointed that the troopers didn't have the crazy feral designs, war paint and spikes all over them considering how much of the single player campagin is built around the Aftermath trilogy. Some guy even shouts "For Councilor Rax!" (But they'd also have to create new models for, like 1 level or so). Maybe the crew you run into haven't gotten around to war paint crazy level yet.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@BigAl6ft6

See how the Herzog Empire plays into it....I'm gonna call it the Herzog Empire till proven otherwise ;p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I pulled up some video of BF2's Jakku level(s?) after finishing the book. The Ravager seems to go down in the far distance, whereas in EE it seems to be much closer to the heroes shadows overhead and such, more violent effect from impact to the area), which would suggest they're in different regions of the battle.

Penguintim likes this.