main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Aftermath: Empire's End (book 3) by Chuck Wendig

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I was looking through my past posts to see any sequel predictions I'd made and found this gem. Now that TROS has been out for a while @DarthInternous

How long did you know about Palpatine's return for?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    On that note, Chuck made a couple of comments about what may or may not line up:

More comments in that thread.

chrcharcor2 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I always assumed that those ships from Aftermath Empire's End and Lost Stars were for the start of the FO. But they probably could tie into the Sith fleet.

4. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    I think the question you're really asking is - did I know that when I made the above post, and by saying what I did, was I trying to convey or imply something based on a secret that I knew? No, I was not trying to do that. I don't try and leverage privileged information like that.

Xammer and Sinrebirth like this.
  5. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    I didn't mean it in any negative way. I was just curious about how far in advance plot points are planned out with the story group. I apologise if I caused any offence.

6. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    No offense taken at all. Perfectly legitimate question.

The answer varies by plot point :)

Sinrebirth and Grievousdude like this.
  7. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Would you be able to tell is if Tashu, the Acolytes of the Beyond, The Contingency,and the missing Star Destroyers sent to the Unknown Regions before Jakku were meant to tie into TROS? When watching the movie I was really surprised to see how well it lined up to Aftermath. It felt like the books were foreshadowing Palpatine's return and the Sith fleet even before TLJ was released

BigAl6ft6 and Grievousdude like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm sceptical of that, I suspect retroactive continuity to be more the game now especially where film / TV is concerned.

9. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    The missing ships may be partially tied to the Final Order, but the SDs themselves are larger than regular Imp-class SDs, although perhaps not as large as the First Order destroyers.

10. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    It's always possible those ships were modified and upgraded and over time this involved rescaling the ship's. They may have just started with old ISDs and then spent thirty years building upon them

PCCViking likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So Rax totally would have know about all this stuff, though, right? Unless Rax's Contingency which created the First Order was a different plan from the Final Order Exegol plan.

Personally, I think Rax's one job was to find Palpatine's corpse and plug it into the robo-arm thing on Exegol but he could only find his half exploded torso so he did his best and then ran away back to the Empire before Palpatine woke up. "Wha happened? Why you, little Jakku desert rat Raxxxxxxxx!!"

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The XSDs are literally twice the size of an ISD but look identical (minus the gun). You don't get that by building up upon a smaller ship- they're not Legos ;). I could see them stripping the old destroyers for parts and material; to help construct the new ones, though.

Of course, it's really just because JJ has a bad habit of making a ship designed at a certain scale and then doubling its size without changing the model (CoughJJpriseCough), so maybe it'll get get retconned. And maybe that retcon will be that the Final Order just likes really huge windows ;).

DurararaFTW and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    1.5x length actually. And roughly 3.4x volume.

That's actually an interesting question - what is the volume of the Resurgents when compared to the ISD-Is? They look rather flatter, and have a lower-set superstructure.

Since the Xystons would be 3.4x the volume of the ISD-Is, they might match or possibly even exceed the volume of a Resurgent.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    PCCViking likes this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The VD does some continuity neatening with this.

It mentions reinforcements from the depths of the UR meeting the First Order (presumably with Snoke), too.

But we presumably now know Palpatine wasn't hunting Snoke as the disturbance in the Unknown Regions,
    but Exegol itself,
    though of course he wants proprietary knowledge of the Unknown Regions and Thrawn is handy for that.

The VD confirms that
    Rakata Prime, Ilum and Csilla are 'known worlds' in the Unknown Regions so.

Otherwise, the XSDs are new construction from scratch, which works for me. Three decades and all, with all these pretty new designs.

What we do have an issue about is where the Eclipse ended up. Presumably it's the heart of the First Order that Sloane founds and Snoke supplants, as much as he supplants the Centrist conspiracy leader Apollin(?).

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Whoops, my mistake- I had 1200 meters in my head for some reason (might have been thinking of Venators, which are 1100 and change), not 1600. At 2400 meters, XSDs are still significantly bigger than a built-upon idea would work for an XSD baseframe without radically altering the external appearance.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I wonder if the reason all the First Order/Final Order superlasers are red instead of green, is that Palpatine's been using the Dark Side to taint all the kyber crystals in them? Would be interesting if Kuat are getting consignments of mega-sized red kybers delivered to them, without actually knowing their provenance.

The Resurgents apparently have kyber-based regular turbolasers as well- and theirs are green. Perhaps a hint that, at least early on, the First Order were mining their own kybers rather than getting them delivered.

17. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Hey there. Simple question here without asking for any spoilers. I just finished the audiobook of the original Aftermath novel after having borrowed it off of Overdrive through my local library. For whatever the reason, they don't have Life Debt as an audiobook (I put it on hold) but they do have Empires End. Do the sequel novels follow each other, or are they completely different stories? Does it matter if I pick up and listen to Empires End now and wait until the end of the month to take out the hardcopy of Life Debt (after I'm finished reading a different novel)?

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes - you want to read Life Debt - it's far, far ahead of Aftermath.

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Book 1 was more or less standalone, but book 2 leads directly into book 3 and sets up many of its plotlines.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, Book 1 was the only one in the trilogy you could really skip and still (mostly) be able to follow the others.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Lol now you tell me. It wasn't terrible; though outside of the Interludes it did leave me scratching my head as far as how it related not only to TFA, but also the post-ROTJ era.

22. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I only really enjoyed the character Sinjir Rath Velus and his journey in the Aftermath trilogy. The add-ons leading to Jakku to me were like meh.

SWpants likes this.
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I guess that means at least Sinjir carries on through the trilogy. What about Jas, Norra, and Temmin?

24. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    They continue to be the main characters in the other two books. It's worth noting that Han, Leia and Mon Mothma also have important roles in them too, so the trilogy feels a bit more relevant to the OT compared to the first one by itself.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Still strange that the novels developed these protagonists squarely for the novels and of course there's no mention of them in even TFA.