main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Aftermath: Empire's End (book 3) by Chuck Wendig

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    There's no mention of the others but Temmim actually is in TFA, where he was called by his nickname of Snap.

Not sure if TROS spoilers are still needed by this point but
    he gets shot down at Exegol in that movie, which gets a big reaction from Poe. It's a moment that went completely over the heads of everyone except the novel and comic readers.

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

Well I guess the next go-around of when I see TROS again I'll be among those that will recognize the reference. I figure the movie will be out on Blu-ray/Streaming by late Spring, so then I'll have read through the remainder of the Aftermath trilogy.

Grievousdude likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Life Debt has Rax and he's all over both books. Oddly, it turns out that Aftermath is tangentially related to the other two. It's basically a standalone adventure, oddly like, y'know, A New Hope.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    In a word - Abrams. Life Debt really demonstrates how restrained Aftermath had to be.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, it's not totally disconnected. The cast of characters all return for the other books (and the Interludes are cool), it just has a "getting the band together" origin story nature that feels mostly unnecessary. You get more context and involvement having read book one, but neither would you be lost starting at book two.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So I just realized that I could get a trial of Amazon's Audible; where I could listen to 1 audiobook (selected Life Debt) for 30 days and cancel before the $15/m subscription rate. I could use that on Android Auto of course (used it with my Ahsoka audiobook), so I'm good.

SWpants likes this.
  7. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I read all 3 when they came out and liked them. I think Snap in TROS didn't hold as much weight as others. Also I felt he was so seldomly used that even for book/comic fans it didn't hit home.

Also what were the names of the Alderaanians in the book?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Grievousdude likes this.
  8. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I get that too.

Snap's death is a bit like Haldir's in the movie version of LOTR Two Towers. It got a reaction from Aragorn, but the audience is just like who was he again? (Myself included in that case)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  9. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Yea, I read the Aftermath trilogy but never read Poe Dameron (didn't have anything against it) so I knew who he was but he did so little in the ST that it was like a big shrug moment. He had one scene in the film w/Leia but that was it.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I read enough of Aftermath and Poe Dameron comics, also I'm a Greg Grunberg fan and how he keeps popping up in Abrams movies, and Snap's scene with Leia was one of the few in the movie that actually felt like an organic scene as opposed to splicing in Carrie Fisher footage, that I was able to notice and acknowledge that it was somewhat eventful that Snap died.

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I have to say even through listening to the audiobook it's difficult to visualize all that's going on in these books when they interject new characters and scenes that really have nothing to do with the main story (or even the ST for that matter). It's like someone telling a story and then just abruptly going off on a tangent here and there.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I can picture how the Interludes would be strange in audio form. They're really cool in the book, though- they've done the most effective job of anything I've seen or read at depicting/conveying the state of the galaxy after Endor and how it has changed since you get so many different perspectives. And the few characters from the Interludes that recur throughout the trilogy make them feel like an anthology novel intercut into the main book plot.

I actually wish we could have just gotten 300 pages of Interludes. :)

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I mean one of the Interludes in the original Aftermath book, which of course was off-topic, was Han getting suckered into a trap off a tip to help Chewie rescue the wookies on Kashykk, and then that's the main story of Life Debt. But then Life Debt has its own off-topic interludes that seem to have zero to do with the story.

14. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    I really liked them too. I know a lot didn't. Personally I think you could take each of those character(s) separately and do something with. Who were the Alderaanians?

Yeah that was interesting. There was a lot you could build off of there.

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    If there's one thing I particularly like about the stories, it's how it maintains the legacy of an interesting bounty hunter who was first introduced in TCW. I like that Jas is Sugi's niece.

[​IMG]

16. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Yea I liked that too. I want to see more Jas in the future.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  17. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    The only one that I can remember is Evaan Verline (I think?) She made her first appearance in the Shattered Empire comic I believe? She was a Rebel pilot who was tasked with flying Leia to Naboo.

18. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Evaan Verlaine, first appeared in the Princess Leia comics. She has since become the Y-wing pilot that survived Yavin and participated at Scarif, with the callsign Gold Three.

19. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    As a huge fan of the band Television, whose classic album Marquee Moon came out the same year as ANH, it never ceases to trip me out that there's a SW character with the last name "Verlaine".

20. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Actually I found it. The Alderaanian Flotilla has: Eglyn Valmor, Rickert Beagle, Beon Beonel, Icar Orliss, Janis Pol, and Argus Tanzer in addition to Verlaine. Page 125 of Life Debt.

21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Just finished the novel (and thereby Aftermath trilogy). I thought it was all right. Not necessarily something I could see rereading in the foreseeable future. There were only a few of the main characters I cared about (aside from the saga mainstays). It spent a lot of time with the various romances: Jas/Jom, Singir/Condor, Nora/Brentin/Wedge. It's ok to allude to romance once in awhile, but more often than not it lingers on throughout much of a chapter. Doesn't really help with the progress of the story overall.

I'm curious if there's been a follow-up to the epilogue. Sloane goes off into the wild blue yonder with a handful of the remnants of the Empire to some uncharted territory and as far as I know that's the last we hear from them. TFA takes place decades into the future, and I don't recall any mention of Sloane in the movies after the First Order's been established. Personally, I'd prefer to read/see any follow up to her story more than the Rebellion team of Nora/Singir/Temmin/Jas.

22. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    The novelization of TLJ implies she was basically pushed aside (ie: purged) when Snoke came to power.

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The TROS Visual Dictionary implies differently.

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    If that's the case at least it means she was still somewhat relevant until the TLJ era.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Which is?