main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist AG88's SW images***UPDATED 30 March 2013

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by academygrad88, May 12, 2005.

1. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    ACK! :eek: I noticed I made a major mistake in his tattoos. Maybe nobody will notice. ;)

Nah, I have to fix it.

[image=http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2091/darthnihlfinal2gm9.jpg]

AG88

2. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Wow, that's amazing! =D= Very cool piece, ag88 :D

3. Blue_but_beautiful

Blue_but_beautiful Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    I have had a look at some of your art before and loved it then, it just keeps getting better! :D
    Really love the new editions to the gallery, all your 'darth' pics have a real dark quality to them that sets the mood perfectly for the figures. I particuarly like Darth Talon and your Krayt revealed pieces :)
    What programs do you use to make some of your figures so three dimensional? I've seen a few out there but have been reluctant to get any as i'm not too clued up on them yet. Excelent work on your pictures featuring Ben Skywalker too, he's developing into a really interesting character yet there are hardly any official pictures of him out there. Great to see someone featuring him.
    Keep up the good work! :D =D=

4. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Thanks YK! I am glad you like it.
    The main program I use is Corel Painter IX with a Wacom tablet. I do have photoshop but I can't figure out how to use it. It is too complicated. Corel Painter is simple enough that my 8 year old son can use it.

I do have two other programs I use when I am being lazy, that is Poser6 and Bryce5.5. Poser allows you to create people and pose them in whatever position you want. I often start with a render of a figure and then paint over them. Bryce 5.5 allows you to make landscapes. So I may use it to get a basic background and then I may paint over them or add stuff to the background using Corel Painter.

If I have to do any photomanipulation I can do it with Corel Painter, but the program isn't really made for Photomanipulation. Instead I use Microsoft Digital Image Pro 10. Which is an inexpensive and easy to use program for photo editing.

Thanks guys for stopping by and taking the time to comment.

5. Blue_but_beautiful

Blue_but_beautiful Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks AG88 :D I already use Corel painter and photoshop ( but it messes up my colours :/ ) with a wacom tablet, but had always been curious about poser etc, thanks for the info! Great stuff as I say :)

6. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    If you are just going to use the poser renders as a template to paint over, you might just want to download a free program that is just like Poser called DAZ studio: http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/software/studio/-/?

AG88

7. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Cool Darth Nihl! =D= I love the quite painterly quality you're getting in these--it really looks traditional! I'm not familiar with the Legacy comic characters, so don't know this fellow--but he's definitely not someone I'd want to meet face to face! Great mood in it, too!

FF

8. NLSkywalker

NLSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    That's very cool, I love those evil eyes,LOL[face_laugh]

9. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Thanks! I really love Corel painter and the Wacom tablet. You can really mimic traditional paint without having all the drawbacks... meaning the brush and canvas does not have the "Undo" button. :p
    Thank you. He is a really evil looking guy.

I got some time to draw today and I finished up Darth Stryfe:

[image=http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/7598/darthstryfedrawingld4.jpg]

I do want to point out that my 8-year-old son did the background for me. He thinks drawing on the computer is really cool. I would encourage it more if I could trust that he wouldn't eat cupcakes over the keyboard (as I found him doing this morning). ;)

AG88

10. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    "I do want to point out that my 8-year-old son did the background for me."

Ha! Quite the collaboration there! That's great--lots of angry colors, gestures and expression here--very fitting for a Sith Lord (...this guy is pretty scary-looking to me, btw...)! And your son's b/g works well, too (though that "cupcake rule" is going to have to be more strictly enforced, I think! ;) )! You're going to be getting to all the Legacy comic villains, aren't you? :D

FF

11. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Thank you. I have been teaching my older boy how to use Poser and Bryce5.5. My youngest doesn't know how to read yet so it is harder for him.

This is what an 8-year-boy + 5 minutes instruction can create with Bryce 5.5:

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/3500/jasonsislands1yz8.jpg

I just let him loose and let him figure it out himself. He did a pretty good job for a first time working at it.

AG88

12. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    "This is what an 8-year-boy + 5 minutes instruction can create with Bryce 5.5--

I just let him loose and let him figure it out himself. He did a pretty good job for a first time working at it."

:eek:
    =D=

**is embarrassed to be jealous of the skills of an 8-year-old**
    :p

This looks great! =D= Can you teach me that stuff too?! **puppy-dog begging eyes** I love the water and reflections, and there's terrific light in this, too--what my photographer husband calls "storm light:" the beautiful "glow" that occurs when sun slants in underneath a deck of darker clouds. Fabulous job for just a few minutes of instruction (he's going to be posting here soon, isn't he...?)! Thanks for sharing this!

FF

13. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Thank you for your kind words, FalconFan. My son was absolutely thrilled to read what you wrote. But then my other son got all upset. He told me "I made one too!" I wasn't sure if he saved it or not, but it looks like his brother saved it for him.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/5394/seanislendsxt2.jpg

They told me they were trying to make the Northern lights over the island.

AG88

14. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oooo, pretty! =D= Great colors, and I love the mood, too--very peaceful. For future reference, the auroura borealis usually resembles pastel colored sheer curtains, hanging above the horizon--the colors here are wonderful, and are just what we'd see: it just needs to be in swathes, rather than "patches!" :D Kids are so bloody clever these days--I can't get over how quickly they can pick up stuff like this! Talent runs strong in your family! ;)

FF

15. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Yeah, I didn't want to correct them because they were having fun. I hope now that we are living in the Great White North they will be able to see the Northern Lights. I remember years ago I was able to see them once from here.

I know, they are getting so good on the computer. I use their computer time as a way to control their behavior. If they are good they can use it. If they are bad they are banned for the day. It usually gets them to listen.

Well, I was able to do another drawing. I made it up with Corel Painter and Poser. I did cheat a little with Luke's head. I pasted a photo of him and then painted over it. Jacen didn't turn out that well. Mara's face is poser and the back wall and floor. Everything else I painted.

[image=http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/166/maralukejacenben6jpgib4.jpg]

This isn't what I really wanted to draw, but my original concept was too complicated and would be better done in cartoon form. I was going to have Luke telling Jacen that Mara's disappearance was a sign that they need to work together. I wanted to have ghost Mara slapping her head and cursing at Luke in the background and screaming "That is not what I am kriffin' trying to say!!" [face_laugh]

16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, wow.... **has to get Kleenex** **sniffle** Wow... You did such a beautiful job with this--I love Luke's wonder, Jacen's bald shock and Ben's grieving glower (he KNEW "working together" was NOT what his mother was trying to say!!)--the body language of the Masters in the b/g (whoever they're meant to be) reflects the "relief" indicated in the narrative. And Mara...she looks so beautiful, swathed in white and bathed in the Light of the Force... **starts to get weepy again** The "sparkles" are a wonderful touch. I have an idea for the funeral, too...but it's much more simple--a tight frame of only Luke and Ben... This is...beautiful, AG88...just beautiful.

FF

17. TheOnlyJediPrincess

TheOnlyJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2006
    It's such a beautiful sad scene. I love how you portrayed Mara.

18. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
  19. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Wow, beautiful!! The expressions are so life-like - it's awesome. Great use of color!

- Serena

20. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Thank you. I appreciate you looking and taking the time to comment.

Okay, I am still irritated with what happened in that book. I took my painting and put some of my thoughts down as to what I think they were or should have been thinking.

Once again, these are SPOILERS for INFERNO.

[image=http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9285/maralukejacenbenparodyue8.jpg]

21. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    [face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh] That is so hilarious i love it. Great job AG88.:D

22. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    LOL great picture, especially with the thought bubbles. I am so mad at the turn of events in LotF and the way they've been handled. I've officially given up on all Star Wars EU that takes place between NJO and the Legacy comics.

23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    lol funny pic ag88.

24. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Thank you Jedi Teegirloo, Giolon05 and Lord Vivec for looking and commenting.

I was practicing today. This is just a drawing of a generic Sith Lord. I may add tattoos later.

[image=http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8200/sithlordja1.jpg]

25. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Here is a painting I did with Corel Painter. It is a Major INFERNO spoiler so don't open it if you have not read the book:

Inferno Spoiler

This is the scene where Jacen is torturing poor Ben Skywalker in the Vong Embrace of Pain.

AG88