main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Age range of Luke’s Students

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Sep 5, 2018.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    How should it be done?

Similarity with Legends, in having at least one student not be young when beginning to train under Luke. Born sometime before RoTJ. Even be around Luke’s age or older.

Disney could also take the path of keeping his students not adults when they start, People born post RoTJ, being in their early 20s or younger when the Fall happens. I wonder young was Ben when he began training.

To me, having a student who ends up dead via Bens rampage, be older then him, adds more to the story and the tales that can be told. Giving said student more of a life. The addition of having memories of the Galactic Civil War.

We haven’t yet seen a master and apprentice relationship in canon, in where both are closer to age.

2. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I agree. It should be a mix of adults, teens and children, but no spouses allowed. That rule should still hold.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Voltron64 likes this.
  3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I'd like the majority of the students to be non-human. In fact, I'd be perfectly fine if Luke and Ben are the only humans in the New (new canon) Jedi Order/Academy.

4. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    This doesn't necessarily mean anything for what we might end up actually seeing, but both TFA and TLJ at some point in their development were going to feature Luke's students in flashbacks. And going from the art books for those movies, the Jedi students were all youngish humans.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Yeah that would be a nice effect. Shows diversity and maybe an example of how xenophobia is reversed by the Jedi.

spicer likes this.
  6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    It would be considerably sadder to me if we had a little bit of multigenerationality going, with Luke's first students already training their own apprentices by the time Kylo happened.

7. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    If we go with the assumption that the Knights of Ren are Luke's former students that sided with Ben, then they're all either human or near-human, judging by their brief appearance in TFA. But perhaps the alien looking students were the ones that stayed loyal to Luke and ended up being killed.

When it comes to their age, I think they should all be about the age of Ben or younger. I would find it weird if Luke was training bunch of dudes in their 30's or 40's. And training to use the Force should still be something that comes easier to younger, more open mind, in my opinion.

8. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    I still like the idea that Ben's Jedi classmates who went with him and the Knights of Ren are completely different. I think that opens more interesting possibilities for future stories.

Voltron64 likes this.
  9. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Voltron64 likes this.
  10. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    There shouldn't have been a mix of students at all. The Jedi Code declared that a Jedi can only have one Padawan at a time. This allows them to focus all their energies on training this one student. That's exactly how Luke was trained, and yet he decided to depart from this tried-and-true method to train an entire generation at once, by himself. Which, predictably, ended in disaster.

Voltron64 likes this.
  11. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    But what about before Jedi are chosen as a Padawan, when they are trained under on master like Yoda in that AOTC scene.

Initially I imagine it's like the X-Men, Luke finds more force sensitives and gradually builds up a team who then can train more students. I imagine it's a range of ages and then after a few years younger students are added to the mix.

12. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    If you're the last surviving Jedi in the galaxy and want to restore the Order within your lifetime, you probably can't afford the luxury of having only one student at a time.

Though it makes me wonder, for how long was Luke intending to train his students? Not to start a "Rey is overpowered" debate, but if she could learn all those things within a week, then perhaps a year per student should have been sufficient? Also, was Ben Luke's first student or was Luke already teaching others when he arrived? And were Luke's students actively travelling the galaxy or were they spending all their time in isolation at Luke's Temple/Academy. The movies gave me the impression that Luke and his students spent all their time at their hidden isolated temple and if they did travel, they did it incognito.

There's so many unanswered questions about Luke's students and his Temple, and I'm not sure we'll get the answers in IX.

13. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    If you're the last surviving Jedi who personally witnessed the deaths of the all the Sith in the Galaxy, you can afford to take your time and get it right. Especially if you know firsthand what happens when Jedi Masters train their pupils improperly.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

14. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    If I had to make a guess, I would say that Luke's students were about the same age as Kylo/Ben. However if they were following a similar path as they did in Legends, then there would have been an age variation. Because some of Luke's "Original 12" from Legends were around his age. Kam and Kenth if memory serves me right were about Luke's age if not older.

15. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    The Sith are not the only threat out there. What if Luke is killed or has an accident? Like slipping on a meiloorun and impaling himself on his own lightsaber. And if Luke wanted his Jedi to be actively out there playing a similar role in the NR as the old Jedi Order played before the Clone Wars, then he needs to train as many apprentices as quickly as possible.

If you train only one apprentice at a time and spend years or even decades with each, then its going to take you generations to restore the Jedi Order to the size of at least few hundred Jedi.

Luke probably took into consideration both view points and decided to take the risk and train several apprentices at the same time. It didn't work out for him, so perhaps Rey will take the cautious approach and train only one apprentice at a time, which means it will take a very long time before the Jedi are a more common sight in the galaxy again.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  16. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Luke's line in TLJ seems to indicate that he didn't start gathering students until Han and Leia asked him to train Ben. Though I think the shooting info for the unfilmed (or unreleased) TFA flashback had Han and Leia bringing Ben to Luke's already-existing Jedi academy.

As for his Jedi, Bloodline states that Luke and his students wander the galaxy to find old Jedi artifacts but don't get involved in secular affairs beyond that.

MrDarth0, Voltron64 and Vialco like this.
  17. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Where did it say that? The only thing about Luke that I recall from Bloodline was that the Galaxy had not seen him for years. The Jedi are definitely not active in any real role at that point. That's why Rey believes they're nothing but a legend. You can justify it any way you want, but the reality is that Luke Skywalker did nothing for the better part of three decades. When he finally decided to get off the hovercouch and try to rebuild the Jedi, he did a Hutt's job of it and ended up losing every apprentice he had. The tried-and-true method of training a single apprentice fully and completely would have been a better choice.

18. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    I haven't read it in a long time, but I think it was Lady Sindian who said it. It sticks out because other than the direct references to Luke and Ben, I think it was the only time his other students were mentioned, albeit indirectly.

Okay, found the passage: "Skywalker had been so long away on his strange quest for the lore of the Jedi that he no longer had much influence outside his own acolytes."