main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That was a Chronicom- he heard their voices coming, forcing him to act (in order words, he couldn't just drop the bombs and remote detonate).

Oh man- it would hilarious if we didn't get the real, younger Coulson but rather the Skrull Coulson [face_laugh].

Though i'm wondering if they can't just build a second LMD Coulson and reupload him.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Juliet316, pronker, BigAl6ft6 and 2 others like this.
  2. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Ok. Looks like most of my complaints were addressed with this episode.

I still want Fitz back soon though!

The decision to kill Mack’s parents was really dark on the writers’ part. It has a major implications really and I have to wonder what it will mean for the end of the show. If Mack wasn’t out to take down the Chronicoms before, now its personal. Break out the shotgun-axe.

Maybe it was me, but I wanted more of Sousa and Daisy. That seemed to wrap far too easy. Disappointing pay off that I think was caused by too many plot lines.

Coulson was awesome. I loved the entire conversation.

However, with the decision to kill Mack’s parents, I am curious as to what Coulson’s ultimate fate will be by the series finale. Technically all this time altering could save him. But, at what cost?

BigAl6ft6, Juliet316 and pronker like this.
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think the Sousa and Daisy thing is over- there'll probably be a lasting effect on her and there's a likelihood that Nathial survived and will emerge as the next villain.

As for Mack- one thing that is even more tragic is that he was right to hate robots this entire time.

pronker, Yodaminch and Juliet316 like this.
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  5. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Aw. I am saddened to look up this occurrence.

In a dispassionate AU world where this occurred and there are no, you know, feelings to be tended to, a musical episode might result and I'd be happy.

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Going through a react series and they're in season 4 on the episode with the Watchdog that becomes the exploding Inhuman and where does he walk into? The 50's diner we just saw in Season 7. Not sure if it's meant to be the same exact diner but it's definitely the same filming location/set. It's unlikely something you would normally notice without seeing episodes from distant seasons in proximity to one another (especially since the diner's use here was a very brief scene).

BigAl6ft6, pronker and Juliet316 like this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That may have been one of my favorite episodes of all time.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I'm not sure I caught all the references. Looks like the Matrix...Doctor Who...Dodgeball?

Also, are they going to fix Sousa's leg? And if Coulson's going to get a new body, why not do exactly what AIDA did and give him a zillion crazy Inhuman powers?

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]
    So..many...references...

So we have Cylons/KITT, Short Circuit, Max Headroom, The A-Team, War Games (maybe), a Predator armshake, a few Evil Dead/Friday the 13th slasher flick moments (especially with the drummer and girlfriend getting killed as they're about to have sex), Breakfast Club, Rambo suit-up/headband... the one lady gives off Rocky IV Bridget Nielson vibes, etc.

A sillier episode more in line with the Deke episode from Season 6 but less of a filler than that one.

Aida's powers were in her organic body, made with a machine that was destroyed. Regular LMDs do not have powers (it's how Daisy was able to convince Simmons that she was real).

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Yodaminch, Alpha-Red and Juliet316 like this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    GUYS

The most reference of reference:

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Didn't Mack or Yo-Yo mention that one back during the LMD story pod?

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes! That's why this was amazing!

[​IMG]

Those were the CM robots...

Personally, though, my favorite was more of a sweet homage... Swayze's Bar

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh! I've never seen CM or its robot design before. Yeah, that's pretty obviously, seeing that now.

14. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    that SHIELD base must not have very good surveillance equipment. 1980s robot moving half a mile per hour got away.

BigAl6ft6 and Alpha-Red like this.
  15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, I think that was my favorite decade pastiche they've done this season. The A-Team style introductions for the Deke Squad were brilliant.

Also fairly certain Roxie "R" Glass is a shoutout to the late Ron Glass.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Blind Wave had a great observation- it's ok that the exaggerated style of this episode doesn't quite fit the series because this entire episode is actually being told by Deke. Extrapolating on that, I'd say it not only explains why Deke's role in events is elevated so much (as well as coming off the best, most noble of all of the characters) but its even supported by the scene when may shows up and everyone is wearing suits. Sure, it could just be because Mack whipped them into shape and got rid of Deke's party room, but it also could have been something akin to that to begin with.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  17. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    i've wondered since last year how Deke was able to adapt so easily to an earlier time considering where he came from

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It’s mostly from his time using Framework tech to create simulations based on what historical info he had access to. He probably brushed up on more once he arrived in modern day and had access to more intact info.

Plus, once he adjusted to modern day, what’s the hurdlevon doing it again a year later? ;)

Also- Deke changed the song lyrics at one point: “Daisy don’t you forget about me”

Yodaminch, BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  19. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Luvvit!
    Especially the Pixar lamp robot.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    that's a good notion, also it could thematically explain why the entire performance Deke gives of "Don't You (Forget About Me)" is included because he's the star of his own story.

Also I did like that there was enough room for wacky asides that they did put in the whole performance.

Going to try to give this a second watch cuz I dug it so much. Even if the finale is great this'll probably be my favourite episode of the season/possibly series.

"I am lost will you help me?"

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    pronker and Juliet316 like this.
  21. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    So good to see the return of an old friend: Mack’s shotgun axe

Also, Coulson on tv was great. Really enjoy how they have been using him. Just give him back his SHIELD shield though!

pronker likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So is it implied that Deke went back to the wreckage and dug out Coulson's hard drive somewhere which then managed to import onto a UHF TV? The Coronicon lady I buy ended up on a random preppy computer hard drive just cuz I guess.

They almost went full Max Headroom but resisted having Coulson stutter and repeat his words randomly.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    pronker likes this.
  23. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    loll yep.

i didn't catch Deke changing that lyric

pronker likes this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, if you pay for the rights to the song, of course you're going to include the whole performance ;).

Also, I guess there must be a thing with this song and wearing red...

I think Sibyl wasn't physically present on the ship- it's why both the lead Hunter and Coulson had to link-in to talk to her. She's been trying to send signals to reconstitute her data presence on Earth to rebuild, I think.

As for Phil Headroom, while he didn't have the specific stutter tick, they did make his image cut sharply to evoke Max. Plus, the background makes it obvious, etc.

[​IMG]

Juliet316, pronker and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, didn't expect those characters.

Returning to Afterlife (which, I assume, is either some form of standing, all-purpose set or an actual location somewhere) was unexpected, as was involving Jiyang and Gordon again. Nathaniel and Sibyl have certainly messed up the timestream significantly at this point. Also, was it implied that Kora is Daisy's half-sister? That didn't really make a big deal out of it, kinda just tossed it out there and moved on. If she is, I guess she killed herself in the prime timeline.

If so, that's interesting- because now you have Daisy's sister teamed with someone who has Daisy's powers (though, I suspect Nathaniel will be building towards an Aida-like situation where he's trying to gain multiple powers via the Afterlife captives).

Also glad they finally had time to give Sousa a new leg.

Not sure how I feel about Yo-Yo's snap-back being a psychological restrain t this entire time, though. That seems like a pretty big retcon for the last 4 seasons. And it only took her being aware of its psychological nature is what allowed her to suddenly break free of it? Seems like a pretty big power upgrade to leave for the last 5 episodes of the series (then again, maybe that is smart on their part since now they don't have to worry about writing around, or nerfing, her powers in future seasons to avoid "Quicksilver can solve everything" scenarios.[/quote]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Yodaminch and pronker like this.