main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Enoch had extra programming from Fitzsimmons to protect the implant at all costs (even Jemma's life). Those soldiers were waiting on Sybil to act and May took her out first. Also, more closed quarters. May had the element of surprise and Coulson's LMD body does have chronicom tech per what Sybil was saying. So while Phil watched her back, she was free to dispose of the others.

It has long been established that in hand to hand, only Natasha is an equal to May.

Consider how Natasha dealt with aliens, robots (ultron) and the Black Order, and it's easy enough to believe May could do the same.

BigAl6ft6, pronker and Juliet316 like this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It was a pretty good grand finale. Damn shame that Iain could only appear in the final three episodes, but at least they used him to the fullest extent they could.

Very fitting final shot though.
    This show came about basically in order to give Agent Coulson his own show, so it's nice that he gets the final word in. (even though it's technically "a" Coulson and not "the" Coulson lol)

3. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    has anyone heard if he was not available for more episodes or they just wrote it that way?

pronker likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    He was not available. They weren't even sure they were going to get any episodes but they assumed they'd get the finale and wrote it that way, and phased in the scenes with Fitz in the prior episode.

BigAl6ft6 and pronker like this.
  5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Seems weird to reminisce when some members of the main cast aren't around anymore. Who did we lose over the years? Triplett, Ward, Bobbi, Hunter? Does Lincoln count? Anyone else?

pronker likes this.
  6. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    yeah i was thinking the same thing, particularly Bobbi

pronker likes this.
  7. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    This is going to sound spooky weird, but Tuesday I saw not one but two ladies with their hair in Yo-Yo's style when Youngest and I went to dinner. I'm calling the style "French braided pigtails" unless somebody knows better.

Alpha-Red and Juliet316 like this.
  8. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
  9. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    If ever I do a rewatch of AOS, this'll be fun to compare and contrast with what I'm watching. I've seen Iron Man #1 and #2, Avengers #1, 2 and 3 but not any of the AntMan, Wasp, etc. movies. Maybe during the rest of this year?[face_dunno]

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Jeff Ward made Eric and Aaron (of Blind Wave) SHIELD agents:

They also do a fun little recap skit of some of the show's events (WARNING: language) in the first 8-9 min as well.

If you're going to work the other movies into your rewatch for a full MCU (or, at least, AOS+films) run, I have the full list in the video linked to in the opening post of the main MCU thread here. You'd just have to add Seasons 6 & 7 into that between Infinity War and Endgame.

EDIT-

Also, I got to thinking more about the time travel...

I had thought that maybe Stark had built his tech theories upon the work that Fitzsimmons did... but it actually might end up being a time loop. If you consider how old their kid is, it is quite possible that they were out in space until after Endgame and could acquire/build upon Stark's tech before traveling back to use it in their way, which then allows Stark to build upon what remains, etc (since he has no monolith, etc).

And it would have to be a loop, because otherwise the prime timeline played out with them abandoning Piper forever, everyone else on the team dies from orbital bombardment, Fitzsimmons chill in space for a few years, then travel back to Piper and thereby create a branching timeline...:oops:

I still prefer that they figured out some basics with what they had and Stark figured out the GPS nav side of things to create the finished time travel tech in Endgame, but it's possible no one really ever invented it...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Juliet316 and pronker like this.
  11. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Thanks! I've enjoyed your analyses and untangling of whirling timestreams, planets, etc. On YT, Blind Wave seems lots of fun - Heavy Spoilers also does a bangup up job of it all for the last three seasons, at least.
    The corridors and "kiss for luck" Sousy scene along with May's "as if millions of voices suddenly cried out and were silenced" (paraphrased) made me a happy Star Wars gal.

Juliet316 and The2ndQuest like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Speaking of which, the final S7 timeline setting breakdown is:

Agents of SHIELD Season 7:
    701-702: 1931a
    703-704: 1955a
    705: 1973a-1976a
    706: 1976a
    707: 1982a
    708-712: 1983a
    713: 1983a-2019-2020

(I'm operating under the notion that the post-S5-timeloop 2018+ is to be considered the prime timeline 2018+, with the 2091 we see in S5 being an alternate timeline created by the timeloop/monolith/Robin's abilities, even if, technically, 2091a should be the original timeline that allowed knowledge from it to be developed via the timeloop and avert things into an alternate timeline where Earth survives. However, I don't think it is practical to consider Endgame+ movies moving forward as taking place in an alternate timeline, thus my designations.)

pronker and Juliet316 like this.
  13. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    i was thinking beforehand it would be cool to see Sam Jackson show up again ( but he's in space right?) or Hawkeye.

pronker likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Fury would have still been snapped at this point in time, unless we got a 30 year old Fury in the past (who would have had to have been played by an actor other than Sam, since they probably don't have the budget on AOS for de-aging effects). Clint wouldn't have even been a pre-teen yet, though seeing Ronin in the epilogue would have been a possibility, technically.

pronker likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Whole thing had an Endgame vibe which I appreciated

maybe a bit odd that SHIELD's final climatic act is to teach robots the power of love but, hey, why not? Kinda works with the discovery of Fitzimmons kid, thematically at least.

I actually thought they had killed off Daisy for about 30 seconds there, ala Tony Stark making the Snap, or she was going to pull a Leia force move.

Geez, Garret got no respect considering the SHIELD agents just straight up headshot murdered him the second they appeared. Neither did Coulson and May apparently right after they made friendly with him.

I thought maybe Mack's All Black outfit to me looked like he was part of Fury and Hill's crew (which they were seen wearing on Snapture day and in Far From Home). Still possible, although unless the Skrulls in FFH were supposed to be different than the Fury/Hill we saw get snapped in IW.

I guess "we're all never going to be together again" just means "we meet again but no Deke"

Integrating the hazmat suit people from the S6 finale as our Heroes was kinda neat but I had to scratch the back of my brain to remember all of the elements of s6 finale, I guess they lined up.

Whole lot of talk about alternative timelines, I did really dig that they integrated the Quantum realm, gave Ftiz an Ant-Man/Time Heist style helmet and he straight up shrunk away like when they did the time heist. To me, I personally go with AoS has gone into an alternative timeline since S4 final scene/Season 5 time travel (as the actions and the world of Our Heroes with S5-7 are hard to reconcile with the larger MCU moves post Civil War) and something something only Quantum time travel can bounce you back to your original timeline (a "tether" in a person or a Starktech GPS). Although that doesn't quite work with Smart Hulk's whole speech about how time travel works that you can't change your present via time travel.

I kinda buy that Fitzsimmons and Enoch can build a time machine on their own and also Tony can figure it out in his living room independently, although Tony had the hint about Scott and the Quantum realm and Fitzsimmons and Enoch had to put it together on their own, probably why it took so long.

LMD Coulson is still out there to show up at some point in future MCU content! I kinda wish his last line had been "don't touch Lola" to some rando but starting the pilot with Lola and ending the finale with Lola is a nicely circular bit.

Khalia Octa, pronker and Juliet316 like this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    -Keep in mind that most of the Chronicoms had been repurposed into hunters from other roles, so, while May have a a strong influence here, there's also a degree of resetting them back to their original programming.

-Fury is still snapped for 3 more years as of the end of the show, so he's not part of that crew (at least not yet).

-More than just "not Deke"- the team will never be together in the same room. They can send messages and meet up in their private Framework virtual speakeasy, but they're spread out doing their own things.

-I'm glad they didn't forget that detail. That was a big question at the start of this season of what happened to that support crew we saw at the end of S6.

Fitz actually had Deke's helmet, not a Time Heist-style helmet. The Quantum Tunnel ceiling panel array was definitely a nod to that tech, however.

The end of S4 is already deep into post-Civil War movies, however. And, when they come back from the future (which is the earliest point in time that the timeline potentially branches out to destroyed/not destroyed Earth), they're already concurrent to Thor Ragnarok's events.

The interesting twist about Hulk's statements on time travel is that they're only about changing your past- they technically do not say anything about changing your future (which, if there is some kind of tether, can be given a non-relative POV). Not to mention potential rules for causality loops. The former may be splitting hairs, but it is a direction that allows wiggle room for further variations from the Endgame rules. And the latter is still a possibility supported by Endgame (if we take the "Basement Steve" suggestion made by some powers that be in regards to Cap always being Peggy's husband).

Of course, as I alluded to earlier, if you want to be absolutely strict, Hulk's rules can be applied to AOS if you end up with the result of Season 6, Season 7, Endgame & FFH taking place in the resulting alternate timeline branch of SHIELD's S5 actions (or a second alternate timeline branch due to Fitzsimmons jumping back to S6 after developing the time drive) and that the destroyed Earth future was really the prime timeline.

(And since Prof Hulk was created years after the timeline split, from his perspective that S6/7/EG/FFH timeline branch is "his" prime timeline anyways)

But, I think the easiest solution is simply you have a separate set of rules for time loops caused by the monolith (where the use of the monolith creates a loop that results in an alternate branch, so that when you break the loop you revert back to prime). This is somewhat supported by the team's initial "splashes, not waves" operating theory being disproven by the end of this season. They were trying to apply monolith time loop rules to more "standard" quantum time travel rules.

And while Stark could certainly work out stuff on his own, the fact remains that he would have very likely had access to the now-4-years-old SHIELD data from S7 to factor into his research. At the very least, it would help him determine what tech (the GPS) was missing that he needed to invent in order to make the idea feasible.

EDIT- Jeff Ward mentioned an unfilmed scene they had planned to shoot but ran out of time for:

The after credits scene would have been a SHIELD office chair turning around, revealing Deke wearing an eyepatch.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I just think it's possible that Fury and Hill in the IW post credit

are already in their all ebony badass outfits we see in Far From Home and we see Mack in his all ebony badass outfit so I'm thinking whatever Fury's group is, it is operating pre Snapture - they're literally talking shop as the snap happens - and Mack could maybe even be running it if Fury and Hill got snapped in this timeline.

This whole thing is literally just based on the outfits though being similar.

pronker likes this.
  18. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    This is one of the few show endings that didn't leave me hollow inside. Great finale.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, I'm sure the similarities in attire are intentional. Not sure I'd take it as a uniform, though. Could be that Mack wanted to emulate or honor Fury as a way of honoring Coulson. Or it's just cold on a flying helicarrier and so wearing a long, heavy leather jacket simply makes sense.

If there is a separate group operating around this point, I imagine it would have been folded into SHIELD eventually- even if it took a year or two for them to hook up and integrate.

BigAl6ft6 and pronker like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So what happened to

main chronicon lady? Did may just punch her in the face and then she was on the ship when it blew up? also I guess her talking to her hunters on the ground opened the connection so May plugging in was able to use her empathic powers to make all the hunters feel stuff. Also there's SHIELD lady agent (who was guarding the time travel box) and the guy who I'm pretty sure was around in S6 they were chatting like he was a chromicon now, or was it one of the former hunters?

I really wasn't a fan of May getting mind reading superpowers this season but it was basically a way to get the hunters back to feeling empathy so I can accept that.

As for the villains on the show, I think the quality of them peaked at S4 (my favourite season) but I think S1-3 carousel of basically HDYRA/Ward was actually extremely solid although they really stretched it out with Ward there and while S2 Inhumans Daisy's mom wasn't my favourite freakin Mister Hyde Kyle McLaughlin is so awesome. Antihero ghost rider and Madam HYDRA LMDs in S4 was also great. S5 ehhhh... Kree and Talbot although Talbot to me never stopped being dopey (and when Captain Marvel pretty firmly established that not all Kree are blue I kinda wish we had seen some human-ish ones show up) but we DID get introduced to the lovely and talented Dove Cameron as Ruby which I appreciated even if the character was kinda all over the place. Sarge in S6 could have been a great villain and I liked him at the start but they got a little wishy-washy and convoluted by the end. S7 was basically Terminators/LMD/Chromocons which had some moments, and it did lead to Deeke and Macks Excellent Adventure and the 80sbots "Can you help me, I'm lost!" *MurderDeathKill* which made it all worthwhile. Oh and Mallick Jr which was.... well, he was basically a whiny millennial jerk (regardless of what decade he as born) and I kinda liked his line deliveries but he was tres one-note. Definitely did petulant ticked off well though.

pronker and Juliet316 like this.
  21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    FInally got to the last 3 episodes. That was indeed an emotionally satisfying ending to the series and I'm always grateful for that.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I was thinking about trying to rank the villains too. Still gotta think it over. Ruby and Izel would probably be at the bottom of the list for me (well, as far as recurring villains go and not the various S1/S2 one-shots-of-the-week). Kora sucks as a villain but was ok as a side-character, so it's harder to balance her. Nathaniel was not the worst but not really worthy of the scope his role had (and his oversized Breakfast Club jacket attire didn't help).

Sibyl was taken down by May's badass entrance, yes (she was not reprogrammed to be a hunter, so she wasn't a fighter, even if she hadn't been knocked down).

Piper and Davis (who has been around since Season 1! Though the majority of his appearances were from Season 4 onwards). Davis was killed when Izel possessed his body and made him fall and land on his head. Simmons offered Piper anything she wanted in order to do the task she was being asked. The coda reveals that Piper's request was for an LMD of Davis to be made (which is what they're arguing over in the car).

One assumes they must have made a copy of Davis's mind back in Season 4 when the LMD/Framework project was still being tested (or that Radcliffe had one made as part of the infiltration takeover of the Playground).

23. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    i didn't like Kora as a character. she acted like a toddler

Rew, Alpha-Red and pronker like this.
  24. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    But that makes sense. It's clear that Jiaying sheltered her from the world (which to be honest is how most of the inhumans lived). And basically stunted her emotional growth. So when she transformed and her emotions made her powers uncontrollable, Jiaying panicked and tried to protect her by locking her away until she could figure something out- but that only further hurt Kora's emotional growth.

pronker likes this.
  25. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Let's hope Kora by now has had some dating experiences - she wasn't kissing in her Kolick (?) scenes, she was being kissed.