main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aggieland

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by s65horsey, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Here we can finally discuss goings on in Aggieland Sports. Should we "Can Fran"? How's coach Gillespie doing? Can you believe our Women's soccer program? With new and improved Aggie terminology!

WHOOP for the fightin' Texas Aggies!

Gig 'em!

2. DarthDogbert

DarthDogbert Jedi Master star 2

Sep 2, 2004
    It would be a shame if the first post came from a "techie"... :p

Seriously, though. I only get my info second-hand from aggie fans, but it seems to me that aTm is on an upswing from the last couple of years. How serious is the effort to fire Fran in College Station? A play here and there and that was a completely different season. Do you think it would be worth it to rebuild so soon?

Oh, and knock tu down another notch, would you please.

3. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    It would be a shame if the first post came from a "techie"...

In Forumland its always nice to have another person who knows Texas. So you're welcome here too (just don't tell the other Aggies).

Seriously, though. I only get my info second-hand from aggie fans, but it seems to me that aTm is on an upswing from the last couple of years. How serious is the effort to fire Fran in College Station? A play here and there and that was a completely different season. Do you think it would be worth it to rebuild so soon?

The students and most of the faculty are fed up with him. He's getting paid entirely too much money not to have the melons to go for the win and play conservatively. Especially since the games were so close. Also the teams we've beaten with Fran are nothing teams. His record against the likes of Tech, OK, and tu are like 3 and 20 (I don't know the actual numbers but you get the idea). This is unacceptable for what we're paying him. However, his payout in his contract is a ridiculous amount so I don't think he will be fired. The 12th man will continue to "Boo" him until he improves. If he beats tu most will be forgiven.

Oh, and knock tu down another notch, would you please.
    The football players in my class say that's the only thing they are focused on right now and that they plan to. So we shall see.

4. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    We knocked them down a notch all right.

Whoooooooooop!

At any rate not ever Aggie was so eager to get rid of Fran. FOr me its presicly the reason you mentioned. He shoulder's the blame for the OKlahoma game . . . but the other two losses you can't really blame him. Well you can always find reasons . . . but now that he's beaten Texas . . perhaps his 2-11 record against OU Nebraska and Texas can be forgiven .. .[face_hypnotized]

At any rate I don't want to rebuild and if they plan on being a new coach... it better be a guy comfortable with what we got and someone who just can add that extra spark that Fran didn't seem to have . . . until now.

Today he showed some emotional fire . . and I was pleased with him.

Easy to say when you win, huh?

5. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Yeah I'm pretty sure he secured his job today. I don't think they would've fired him anyways. His buyout is ridiculously high and we're still paying another coach's buyout (can't remember the name). The Aggies will semi-forgive him for now. I think we have a shot at winning a bowl game though. The right team has to come to play and they did. My defensiveman Bullit was all over the field today also and even got an interception!

6. Skywalk272

Feb 16, 2000
    Yes he did!

It worried me a bit that we did not capitalize on the turnover we got a midfield, and I wasn't exactly as content as Fran was to go into the half ahead just 6-0. I wanted to try for a hurry up and at least get a field goal . . . but none of it matters now . . . thankfully. Our defense did play awsome though. I kind of don't like that McCoy wasn't 100%. Texas fans are going to wine about that and make excuses for him not having enough arm strength to avoid those interceptions.

7. Skywalk272

Feb 16, 2000
    So its the Holiday bowl vs Cal

Very interesting . . .

8. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm trying to talk my parents into a vacation.

9. Skywalk272

Feb 16, 2000
    That's QUite a Christmas vacation!

10. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Obligatory cheap shot comment, on behalf of UT. :)

11. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Bah! No Aggie denies what it was or applauds the guy that did it. We at least own up to when one of our players messes up because we hold ourselves to a higher standard and don't like when an Aggie does something to belittle that standard.

12. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Plus, the multiple angles it was caught on, would have gone against any denial. ;)

13. Skywalk272

Feb 16, 2000
    Yes . . but they also caught on camera his team leaders getting all over him for it.

14. Skywalk272

Feb 16, 2000
    *Tip toes into room, hoping nobody from California is around*

Well . . . we didn't have a close game decided by less than 3 points [face_whistling]

15. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    You let me down, though!

16. Skywalk272

Feb 16, 2000
    Aha! A betting man I see . . well, you should have been correct, we played contrary to all our strengths except time of possetion.

Cal's defense was much better than I expected.

17. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Cal was all over our trick plays (minus the fake punt). They also had control of the option idea. Our defense was rendered ineffective with Cal screening Bullitt on almost every play. He is a big part of our defense and they managed to stop him from making key plays.

18. Skywalk272

Feb 16, 2000
    Right . . .

and it appears we never made any adjustments.

We called a few new plays on offense that worked somewhat, but it was really the two fourth downs we didnt get that killed us.

Oh . . and that horrid punt. . .

19. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Actually, I'm not a betting man - I make picks, and try to take pride in them, but theres no way I'd ever put money on it :p

20. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    Cal fan strikes!!!

You aggies played well for the first quarter, so you should applaud yourselves for that. Nice fake punt, a couple of good runs by that beast of burden, and you intercepted Longshore once. Other than that, you got schooled by the West Coast. ;)

You really got me worried until Marshawn Lynch scored the first time, so I'll give you that too.

21. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Our loss would've been easier to handle if tu had also lost...I almost got my wish.

22. Skywalk272

Feb 16, 2000
    Ummm Horsey, are you really also an Ohio State fan, or just this year [face_mischief]

-anywho, thanks for trying to point out our good points, but the fact is something was missing from the AG's this game. Our beast of burden as you call him wasn't as nimble . . . or didn't run as well. He looked like he had GAINED weight over the break. Recievers weren't getting open, and I felt that we shied away from the option a few times when we shouldn't have. Regular option was being stopped, yes . . . but we still had a few more looks we can go with it.

I don't think we pulled out all the stops. After the big loss on the Schroeder pass play, it seemed we just kinda stopped trying anything risky or imaginative.

23. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I am in an argument about the SEC being the best division or toughest division. My brothers are at Wisconsin which is part of the Big Ten division. Since its Big Ten vs SEC for the national championship game, I'm cheering for the Big Ten in order to prove that Florida and the rest of the SEC whined their way into the national championship game and don't really deserve to be there. So I'm not really an Ohio State fan, I am a Big Ten fan through Wisconsin. (If that makes any sense...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.