main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Ahsoka Ahsoka in The Mandalorian & Spinoffs (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by TheCloneWarsForever, Mar 20, 2020.

1. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    8 as the first season.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Sure it’s probably more expensive but I don’t think Disney will spare any expense with these shows. If they determine that motion capture is the best way to go I’m sure Disney will foot the bill. Especially since The Mandalorian is their most popular show and a huge reason for Disney+’s initial success.

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  3. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I want her to have longer lekkus then in Rebels.

4. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    This is awesome news and it work’s well with the some of the YouTube trolls who did not want Bre Larson to be cast as Ashoka. Not bashing her.

Maybe we can get a live action admiral thrawn in season 3. Anything is possible with Star Wars. What a time to be a fan.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Still a rumor until its actually official. Sounds like she may of auditioned or its connected to rumored Sin City director for Season II - maybe he pushed for her to be cast. But its still weird to me they'd use Ashley's iconic and fan favorite to voice her character for TROS and then cast another actress who will likely never be dubbed over,lol.

6. JediMasterMark15

JediMasterMark15 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2020
    I just hope they use Ashley to dub over the lines. It would be extremely weird to hear another voice coming out of Ashoka. It is a shame though, I’d like to see Ashley play the part. She legit is the character and brought the personality to life. I saw the photos when she dressed up as Ashoka, and wow, she looked great playing the part! She would be the same age too of Ashoka in season 2. I hope they tie in the end of Rebels to this season, where Ashoka and Sabine are looking for Ezra, and somehow run into the Mandalorian.

jedi-soon, Darkslayer and rumblewagon like this.
  7. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Who knows if Ashley had a chance to audition for the live action role. She may not have the screen presence. Ashley hasn't done live action in years while Rosario has been doing live action for two decades.
    Yes, Ashley is obviously the sentimental choice since she's been Ahsoka from the beginning, but then there's the on-camera screen presence of Ahsoka.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Mia Mesharad and Bor Mullet like this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    But what are you referring to: motion capture for just the lekku, or for her face as well? I support the former, but definitely not the latter. She has a human face. Rosario’s face, basically. No way they’ll CGI that.

AhsokaSolo and Bilbo Fett like this.
  9. What About Bob Skywalker

What About Bob Skywalker Jedi Padawan

Jan 24, 2020
    Super excited and happy with this casting! Rosario seems like a perfect choice. Loved the latest Clone Wars ep and can’t wait until season 2 of Mando. I wonder what else they have in store for season 2? Ezra? Sabine? Luke?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  10. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I'll go ahead and tell ya if you see her movie Descent come up on any searches take a hard pass on that one ... it's just ... whoa boy ... Really rough subject matter and extraordinarily graphic.

11. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Yeah people are 50/50 on the cast with the transphobic stuff going on

12. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Bearing in mind that there are some number of people watching the Mandalorian who have never watched TCW or Rebels (a fact I know because at least a few of the reaction videos had people wondering WTF this black lightsaber is, and why it's a big deal), and who may end up watching the different shows in retrograde order... If they don't dub her with Ashley's voice, then you know what's coming a couple years down the line...

"The voice actor who plays Ahsoka in those cartoons sucks! She sounds nothing like Rosario Dawson!"

When / if that day comes... as @anakinfansince1983 would say... "oh hell."

13. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    If this rumor is true, I'm done with the Mandalorian. Dave Filoni is turning this into his own personal playground, and he can't leave Ahsoka be. It's one thing to bring Ahsoka into Rebels to make the show watchable, but Mandalorian doesn't have that problem. What's next, Space Aladdin returns with the force whales with hyperspace abilities? Worse thing they ever did was give Filoni complete control over the TV side of things.

JediMasterMark15 likes this.
  14. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    And likewise if how she's presented visually it's clear who's portraying the character it would be weird to hear Ashley Eckstein's voice coming out of Rosario Dawson's mouth.

15. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Unstoppable is a great movie with Dawson in it. :)

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  16. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    It's very likely that there will be those few people out there who will think this. But there will always be stupid people in this world. There's no vaccine for stupid.

17. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    ditto — I wanted original characters and original story. Give Ashoka her own show but leave at least one thing unconnected to clone wars. I get she’s loved, and I enjoyed seeing her initially on rebels but jeez — can one show succeed without getting a clone wars elements shoehorned in? And I adore Rosario Dawson. I’ll watch for her and please please use rosario’s own voice.

Mostly Handless and afterlight like this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The answer to that is no so long as Filoni has characters from TCW to play with he will have them in his shows. I do think that one of the Mandalorians biggest things going for it was that it was all new characters. I say that even knowing my favorite Star Wars character is Captain Rex but I would not want to see him in this show if he were still alive by the time period.

19. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    I don’t. That was always my least favorite aspect of Shaak-Ti’s design, and I was glad they toned it down for adult Ahsoka.

Joystick Chevron likes this.
  20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Deadline doesn't confirm it, though. They're the only outlet that doesn't, actually. However, I think its safe to say that she is playing Tano.

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah Ahsoka is pretty mutch confirmed plus she gets her own disney plus show.

black_saber likes this.
  23. Darrin Williams

Darrin Williams Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 7, 2020
    Idk, Dawson probably wouldn't have been my first choice...but at least it's not Brie Larson.

24. afterlight

afterlight Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2019
    I'm probably in the minority here but I've been pretty grumpy about this decision since yesterday. In fairness, part of that grumpiness stems from the fact that I think her inclusion here -- even more than that time-travel business from Rebels -- is the thing that has finally pushed Ahsoka out of my personal "conceptually weird but extremely likable character" zone and firmly into "grating creator's pet" territory. One of the strengths of The Mandalorian as a whole has been its relatively loose overlap with other elements of the GFFA -- it has connections to the OT, sure, but it seems to function best as a sidestory --and I feel like shoehorning Ahsoka into this as well serves only to shrink a universe that can hold many characters and many stories.

I'm also not convinced overuse of TCW/Rebels characters is great for the health of the franchise of the whole. I think one of the reasons this show is doing well with general audiences is that it's a piece of the SW universe that can be enjoyed without an hours-long dive down the Wookiepedia rabbit hole. My parents -- neither of whom are SW obsessives -- love this show. I know a lot of other "general audience" types who do as well. I don't think turning everything into an outpost of a decade-old cartoon series is good for sustaining mass interest in a troubled franchise.

25. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Well, Ahsoka is an inherently likable character, so as long as they capture her essence she will be equally appealing to people who’ve been fans of her for years and to people who came onboard with The Mandalorian. That’s been Marvel’s formula for a decade and it’s worked, hmm, pretty well?

whostheBossk and afterlight like this.