main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Ahsoka Official Ahsoka Series Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by DannyD, Dec 10, 2020.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    He's had a lot of offers to be blue aliens?

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    In an interview he said he dosent want to be in makeup chair and sit for hours just to be blue alien in regards to question if hr play Thrawn.

3. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    [​IMG]

4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I'm actually excited by the prospect of Thrawn being crafty but different than what we saw in the EU. I was hesitant at first. While I still would have preferred all this to be in animation with Ashley as Ahsoka, Rosario is growing on me. And I think there is a lot of potential for this show.

5. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I hope they give this series actual scope and scale, as opposed to the 50s Western Serial thing they’ve been doing with the other Mandoverse shows.

6. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    I feel like Andor is going to make many people judge Ahsoka more harshly when it inevitably hews closer to Mando and BoBF

clone commander bossk likes this.
  7. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I think Mando 3 will get the brunt of that considering it’s the next thing on the docket…but yeah I think these series are going to be scrutinised a lot more.

8. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I haven't watched Andor yet, but from the trailers it already appears on a bigger scope than Mando and BoBF. If people would be so quick to judge Ahsoka compared to Andor, they should judge the other two shows on equal footing.

2Cleva likes this.
  9. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    There's that, but it's also very different tonally and in terms of dialogue. Whereas Mando and (probably) Ahsoka are more like the traditional "pulpy" Star Wars.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    We'll see. Andor followed in R1's footsteps.

11. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    It’s still early days, but so far Andor’s more to my style in terms of visuals, acting and writing. There’s an emotional maturity to it all that I’m going to miss when we return to the Mandalorian and it’s spin-offs.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  12. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    It is for me, too.

I'm not actually sure I'd want to see characters crossing over too much between the two "styles", though. Ahsoka could work in an Andor type of show, but the Filoni live-action stuff fits much more naturally with her animated appearances.

13. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Depends on what the story is.

Is Ahsoka still grieving for Anakin and the loss of pretty much everyone she ever loved and struggling to find closure? Or is she now just Gandalf leading Sabine and co on an adventure? Both are valid ways to go about it, though my preference is for the former.

Though Imperials, I think, really need some of the Gilroy magic applied to them. Characters like Gideon and Thrawn could do with more dramatic writing.

14. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I enjoy the style of Andor and Mando, but hopefully they don't return to the mistakes of the Kenobi and Boba shows.

15. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    The Mandalorian isn’t a bad show, but I want it to be more than it currently is.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  16. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Wait, what? Do yourself a favour and escape to the Andorian GFFA. :)

17. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    You can have characters cross the tone barrier if they are done well. Mon Mothma who appears in Rebels, which is about the pulpiest and most kiddie-targeted of all animated SW, also appears in Andor, a show with a completely different tone, and yet it works, because it is done competently.

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It's not because I don't want to. When I engage in a series, especially one with a very thorough story, I don't want to mix it up with other series. I've already started on the LOTR: Rings of Power series. Once that's done, I plan on watching Andor.

clone commander bossk and DannyD like this.
  19. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Mando actually has a fair amount of the same issues as Boba and Kenobi. What does Mando have that's missing in say Boba or Kenobi? its the exact same writer as Boba so its very much got that same style.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Mandalorian has the title character and cute frog baby Grogu.

21. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Well, Book of Boba Fett wasn’t hurting for that either.

22. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Personally speaking the Book of Boba Fett kind of felt like it had a lot of the same problems as Mando, but it was in BOBF where they tipped over into actually hurting the show. Like, Mando season 2 went heavy on the references but I didn't mind because it worked well into the main plot, but in BOBF they took a significant chunk of its limited run time to side stories about Din and Luke, and as a result left its main antagonists and conflict underdeveloped for the climax; not to mention bringing in Freetown as his big reinforcements at the end felt kind of forced cause Boba had no connection to them at all, they were just there because people liked them in Mando, whereas having some Tuskens save the day probably would have fit with BoBF's themes a lot better.

Honestly makes me a bit nervous for Mando season 3, as much as I liked seasons 1 and 2, and despite my complaints above I honestly enjoy BoBF, certainly more than most (especially since it seemed like people wanted ruthless gangster Boba when the show was actually about self-discovery and moving away from the ruthless gangster mindset)

Though frankly given how fickle audiences are I am half expecting people to call Ahoska the greatest of all time and claim that Andor sucks and no one liked it.

23. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I think there’s also an element of Mando being the only live action Star Wars tv we had, so there was no frame of reference. It was the only game in town, so to speak.

Now that we have something radically different in the form of Andor it’s going to create a contrast from the Favreau/Filoni formula.

24. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    With Boba Fett, i could believe they were writing the scripts as the show went along. I really could honestly believe that as the show sometimes felt that way. But the style is exactly the same as Mando. the things that the show expects you to accept can also be found in Mando series 1 and 2. It's just jon favreau style of writing.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  25. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    Yeah but Mando was a mainstream success, popular with the masses, not just us SW nerds. I think that's what makes it stand out and set the bar for other shows. I'm not sure of the numbers but as good as Andor is, it doesn't seem to have the same mass appeal as Mando. Although to be fair, Andor is only about halfway thru its run.

As for Ahsoka, I'm wondering if the season will feel like part of a larger story. What I mean is, they're gonna have to start building towards the big crossover event in earnest sometime (if the crossover event is still happening.) And I'm assuming that the final conflict with Thrawn will happen in the crossover event and not in Ahsoka.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.