main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CVI Air Travel tips, and some handy dandy Do's and Don't Even Think About Its.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by DarthBreezy, Jun 10, 2011.

1. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I just checked and the Delta web site says up to June 1,2012.

2. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Hooray for two major airlines offering discounts! I'll still shop around to check rates from some of the "other guys," but it's nice to know those offers will exist.

3. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Trans Air ..Flights go on sale for August 2012, November 15th.
    South West..Flights go sale for August 2012, February 10th

4. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Same day as EPI 3D is released.

Perfect timing. :cool:

5. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    There was probably a better thread a while back for this but it seems worthy. At the end of the article they left out the one about the guy flying across the country with an expired passport and outdated boarding pass.

6. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Heads up .
    Most everyone has the flights booking all the way till Aug 30.
    Southwest is booking up till June
    Air Tran is booking up to Aug 3rd

Delta,US Airways and Continental are around $400 RT from the midwest. Im waiting for Southwest to open up as it was cheapest last time.

7. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    A heads up this morning to the fact the DELTA,US AIRWAYS AND CONTINENTAL are getting ready ,and I mean soon to add a $5 each way to your tickets,
    http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/post/2011/10/airlines-push-new-round-of-fare-hikes/557553/1

8. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Almost there...Southwest is currently expanded out to Aug. 10th for their reservation system.

9. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Ya, they tweeted that and I replyed, OOOO YOUR KILLING ME!!! I need it for the 22nd!!!!

10. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    The 22nd? Only the 22nd?
    So you are not planning to go back home after the convention?

11. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Come on,u know what I meant. :)

12. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I've taken lightsabers with lithium-ion batteries in carry-on baggage multiple times -- have to because the batteries can't be taken out -- and TSA classifies them as 'flashlights'. It usually gets swabbed for explosives, but otherwise no problem. I also have Rebel Legion cards with a picture of my with the lightsaber on it; that helps, too.

13. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Good news if your waiting for SOUTHWEST to open the booking window for August 11th and Beyond,
    I got a Tweet from a Rep and she told me that tickets will go on sale on Jan 22nd. :)
    Right now if you put in Aug 1 and return on the 6th ,From Indiana to MCO anyways, its around $220 RD trip. :)
    So lets hope it stays that low for a few more months.

14. iceaffinity

iceaffinity Jedi Knight star 1

May 23, 2010
    So glad to have found this thread! Celebration VI will be my first SW con, and I just bought my first lightsaber, so I've been trying to figure out how to haul it down to Orlando. There are some great tips in here - thank you all for sharing!

Could I ask a couple questions for clarification, though?

1. Someone earlier mentioned that lightsaber blades can't be carry-on. Okay. I still have the box it was shipped in - is that the best way to go? Wrap it up in bubble wrap, label the box with my info, and check it?

2. Lightsaber hilt - it was mentioned it might need to be swabbed. Should I put the hilt in the box (which would probably need to be sealed for transport?) or put it in my luggage, separately?

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you. [:D]

15. ChewieTitan

ChewieTitan Jedi Master star 2

Dec 26, 2001
    I shipped my force fx saber to the hotel in advance to avoid any hassle with security.

TSA said (over the phone) that whether or not to allow a lightsaber through security is up to whoever checks you. Opinions may vary depending on the security workers. The lady I talk to on the phone would not give me a guarantee that they would let it through.

As far as the airlines are concerned, if TSA let's it through, then they will allow it on their plane. You can use a fishing rod holder to carry-on. I don't have a suitcase big enough to hold the saber for a checked bag, but that is an option too if you have it well protected. TSA will more than likely open your bag to look at it cause they did for some cheap toy light sabers I had.

16. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I remember putting a lightsaber blade in a poster tube and taking it as a carry on. However, this was 2005.

Gun or sword cases would also be a very good mode of transportation. The downside is paying for an extra piece of luggage.

17. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    SO when will YOU book your Airline tickets?
    Im going to try and wait till March.

18. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    The second they become available on Southwest.

Count on it. ;)

19. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    For reals. I'm also going to do my best to not have too many layovers.

Edit: and just like that, never mind. Frontier's prices were too good to pass up.

20. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Air Tran has the most Direct flights and cheaper then Southwest so Im leaning toward them now.

21. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I have a question, not about air travel (I think Delta is what i'll pick) but I'm looking for transportation from the airport to the hotel etc, looked into Mears etc but then I saw the Lynx bus (www.golynx.com) and route #42 goes from the airport (MCO) to the convention center and a single ride is $2?!?!? Has anyone used them before? are they good? If i can get a ride from the airport to the convention center area for $2, I'm definitely interested.

Also has anyone used the I-Ride Trolley before? I'm looking at them too for areas that are a little far to walk to but still close

Thanks

Sorry if I should have asked elsewhere

22. ksomm814

ksomm814 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 17, 2005
    I-Ride Trolley is awesome. My sister and I used it during CV and we're planning on using it again during CVI. It can be a little crowded at times but it's certainly better than taxi fares.

23. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
  24. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    FYI
    Air Tran & Southwest open there booking window this Sunday the 22nd.

25. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    2 more days...