main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Airwaves, Streams, Fibers & Cords: General TV Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 10, 2012.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    My friend recommended "Yellowstone" staring Kevin Costner. It's on the Paramount Network. The first episode is 93 minutes and the 2nd episode is 68 minutes. Has anyone else checked this out and what is your recommendation?

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I started watching Hard Sun, which is by the same creator/writer as Luther. It's a british procedural, like Luther (although the lead is no Idris, but it's not fair to hold that against him), but darker in tone. If you've seen neither, I highly recommend both. If you've seen Luther and liked it, you'll more than likely enjoy Hard Sun.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Now that we're in summer, I'm leaning to sign up for a Hulu account for the duration of the summer so I can watch Handmaid's Tale and Runaways.

And there's quite a few things I want to watch on Netflix, like Lost in Space, the second season to 13 Reason Why, Black Mirror and other movies and shows.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I re-upped Hulu so I could rebinge Futurama and I hate that consolidation tactic for working so effectively.

Still no Simpsons, though, like I want to navigate my apartment's cable provision stuff just to use your dumb FX specific service, Fox, what the hell.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The trailer for The Purge TV series dropped and it looks promising.

I see there's a second season of The Sinner. I thought the first season was pretty good, so I'll give the second season a chance.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm thinking about checking out Yellowstone cuz it's by Tyler Sheridan he of Sicario / sequel / Hell or high Water and Wind River and all of those are awesome to fantastic so I would hope Yellowstone wouldn't be any different.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  7. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I just discovered Frasier on Netflix. I watched the first episode. Still holds up. The wife loves Nailed It and Season 2 is now on Netflix so one for me and one for her.

We still have yet to check out Yellowstone. Maybe we will at some point this week. We've been enjoying old episodes of Drunk History onDemand and of course the new season of Detroiters is one of our favorites.

I was going to try to watch a new episode of Ducktales on the Disney Now app, as I'm three behind, but I just wasn't in the mood. I did watch the newest episode of Dragonball Super which was very dumb. It was a crossover episode with a character called Arale which is a separate creation of Akira Toriyama. Only seven more episodes of this current arc before the final arc begins that will end the show and will finish up Fall of next year I assume.

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    There is a Free HBO and Cinemax weekend that ends tomorrow (Monday). Works for onDemand also. I have Verizon Fios. Check your cable provider.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Juliet316 like this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I started watching Frasier with my roommate (he's all over the place on streaming shows) and it's actually really good.

TiniTinyTony and Juliet316 like this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I binged the entire second season of Glow over the weekend and I quite enjoyed it. However, IIRC, episode 8 was just a waste as it was like pretty much watching bad YouTube clips of old Glow skits and it didn't move the narrative forward.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Phew. That thing would have been more dangerous than any of the other high profile mergers.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Indeed.

14. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I don't feel like hunting and posting in each individual CW thread concerning all the trailers from SDCC, so I'll comment about them here as I decided to not continue to watch any CW show because I don't care anymore. None of the trailers convinced me otherwise. (Side note: I even watched The Walking Dead trailer and it did nothing for me.)

Arrow
    The trailer shows Oliver in jail and there hasn't been any activity for three months in the city so it's nice to know that everyone had a nice summer while Oliver rots in prison. There's a new hooded figure shooting arrows. Oliver gets in a fight in jail. Fake Laurel is making public speeches. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Done, don't care.

Flash
    Daughter of Flash and Iris is the focal point of the trailer. Flash is worried that she's going to Marty McFly herself. Flash going to be hesitant YET AGAIN to do ANYTHING because he doesn't know the results. Pass. I can't do it again. Where's the "Fun" Flash we were promised for next season because he wasn't in the trailer?

Legends
    We let out more demons. We have to fight more demons. We want to fight more demons. Eh, don't care. They jumped the shark with the giant Beebo and I'm done jumping the shark with them. They do some crazy stuff on this show which is welcome compared to the tired formula's above, but I just don't like any of the characters anymore like I used to. The trailer didn't do them any favors. They all just cried or whined or complained.

Supergirl
    Didn't watch this trailer. Didn't finish last season. Pretty much done. I still have 7 or so episodes on my DVR, but just not finding the effort to care.

Crossover trailer
    Didn't do anything for me. Batwoman is obviously going to be the focus and the series of episodes will probably serve to introduce her and launch her show. When there are no stakes in any of the above shows and all the heroes can meet up in a crossover episode regardless of their separate plots, it's kind of a tell-tale sign that nothing is important. I'd much prefer if they guest starred on each other's show to help with the problem of the week.

And I guess that's what I'm tired of: the problem of the week, villain of the week, or in the case of the Flash last season, the problem of the entire 22 episode season. There was no mini arcs or the arcs were weak and they didn't allow the characters to learn or grow. Everyone pretty much stayed the same and there was very little to no growth that I can think of save for Dibny. With these shows in later seasons, it's all getting lost in the mire and I just don't want to be in it anymore.

Side note: The best show that exists that has strong mini arcs/seasons, character development and growth, compelling storylines with main and side characters you actually care about: Voltron Legendary Defender on Netflix. Great writing and when they get in a groove it's hard not to binge the next episode. Early season cliffhangers were painful, but made it all the more reason to return. If you haven't checked it out, I highly recommend it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  15. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Did anyone watch the VMAs last night? I turned them on for a few minutes and I wanted to shoot my brains out. There's a guy performing on stage, singing his heart out, rain effects and everything, and they cut to Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson four times for no reason during the performance.

Then Nicki Minaj won an award and she got on stage. She's got everything hanging out and I thought it was abhorrent. Do little girls look up to her a role model because if so that makes me sad.

I did enjoy Brendon Urie's performance of "High Hopes". I couldn't tell what he was giving out. It looked like keys or something he had in his pocket. I shut if off after that as that was really the only thing I wanted to see.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So I got a PlayStation 4 Pro and it has the UltaHD output for the Netflix which does look great (I watched the closing minutes of Daredevil Season 1 on Ultra HD to give it a spin) but beware and make sure that your HDMI port has a 2.2 version so you can get Ultra HD content. I spent over a hour trying to find out how to get the UHD stuff working and turns out only one HDMI port could output it. And it was port 3 not 1, which seems really counterintuitive

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Don't worry, TBS will still be subjecting us to multi-hour blocks of it for years to come.

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Preacher is my favorite thing on tv right now.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    NBC just released a preview of The Voice. Can't wait for it to come back.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    big fan too, it keeps upping the crazy. season finale tomorrow and considering the low ratings it gets, I would wager it could be a series finale.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Honestly, the only sitcom I watch semi-regularly is Mom. And that's only because of Allison Janey. I loath laugh tracks.

23. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    There were random previews that aired around 2 AM for This is Us and The Good Place that my DVR recorded.

This is Us preview recapped the events of last season and mentioned a few things that we'd see in Season 3.
    Specifically we'll see the beginning of Jack and Rebecca's relationship and Jack's time in Vietnam.
    We'll find out the "she" that future Randall was referring to.

The Good Place recapped the first two seasons and showed a good 2 minute clip from Season 3.
    In the clip, Ted Danson's character goes to Earth to stop the four main characters from dying so they can get their second chance.

I'm looking forward to these shows premiering roughly 1 month from now.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime and Juliet316 like this.
  24. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    What's everyone looking forward to this September?

1) Enjoying the heck out of Better Call Saul. We're at the half way point. I like discussing it with others in the Saul thread and happy to see so many people are liking it as much as I am.
    2) I DVRed Mayans M.C., a "sequel" to Sons of Anarchy. I plan on watching this later today after work. I hope it fares better than The Bastard Executioner.
    3) I also DVRed It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Season 13 premiered last night at 10 PM EST on FXX. I'll probably watch that with the wife tonight while we eat dinner.

Side note, speaking of FX and AMC, have you see the advertisements for FX+? (I don't know if it's called AMC+) Anyway, for an additional $5 a month, you can get ad free programming on their apps. Do you think they'll get a lot of people to do that? Does anyone here plan on doing that?

4) My wife asked that we DVR the new series on USA called The Purge. I have no interest so I'll let her speak up when she wants to check it out.
    5) Another one my wife wants to check out is American Horror Story: Apocalypse (Season 8). We couldn't get into last season and ended up deleting all the unwatched episodes off our DVR. I guess we'll give this a shot and see if it grabs us.

Other shows we/I am looking forward to this month, in release, and ironically, in excitement order as well
    • This is Us Season 3: Sept 25th
    • Modern Family Season 10: Sept 26th
    • South Park Season 22: also Sept 26
    • The Good Place Season 3 - Sept 27th
    • SNL Season 44 - Sept 29th
    • Family Guy Season 17 - Sept 30th

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Man, that's a lot of series to keep track of. :p

At this point, the only real series that I'm hooked on is Better Call Saul. I'll occasionally watch episodes of other shows, but nothing that really requires "keeping up with it". We tend to watch more news and sports (mostly soccer), plus movies.