main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Airwaves, Streams, Fibers & Cords: General TV Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 10, 2012.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I hadn't heard of the series Knightfall until I saw the article about Mark Hamill being in season 2. Is the series any good? I checked the History channel listings here in the UK and didn't see it listed so I guess season 1 ran its course.

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It's amazing that a great show like Modern Family has been on for 10 seasons and there isn't a thread for it. Oh well. I was going to create a thread, but according to wikipedia:

"In January 2018, creators Levitan and Lloyd stated that the tenth season would most likely be the series' final although later in August 2018, it was reported that ABC were in discussions to renew the series for a potential 18-episode eleventh and final season."

Season 10 discussion
    I also heard that someone is supposed to die in the 10th season. I think it being Jay is too obvious and it would really hurt the show as his involvement in the family and the things he says is a source for some much joy as well as heart. The Office limped on after Carell left; I would hate to see the same happen with this show. I think they could do a cool flash forward into the future like they did with Parks to end this show.

Also, I'm not digging the Haley and Dylan love story, will they / won't they, yet again. I miss Andy. He was the best and also a good actor. I think he's happily married with Beth. I don't remember where they left that, but I felt they closed the loop on that story.

Joe was missing from the latest episode "Kiss and Tell" and only used sparingly in the first episode of this season "I Love a Parade". He's got some great lines. I'm surprised Lily is still on the show. They give her less and less to do. I heard there was beef with her on the set. I don't know. Maybe she's got a contract that they don't want to buy her out of or waste the screen time to write her out without making it a big deal.

Also, the wife and I started watching the random episodes of The Goldbergs they've been airing on TV Land and it's fantastic.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    so Damon Wayans throws his weight around to get Martin Riggs' actor fired on Lethal Weapon and now he is saying he's quitting as well

I hear the announcement blindsided everyone, and he notified neither the studio nor the Lethal Weapon producers before doing the bombshell statement to Electronic Urban Report.

Wayans rarely does publicity for Lethal Weapon; he resisted/refused doing it early on and is not even asked to anymore. I hear EUR’s team was on the set of Lethal Weapon for Wayans’ co-star Keesha Sharp, who is making her directorial debut on the show with the episode now being filmed. There they got the interview with Wayans, who announced his exit from the show.
    Wayans had been vocal about the physical demands of doing a network drama series — his first — and the toll it has taken on him. (He previously did the ABC comedy My Wife & Kids, a multi-camera sitcom which has a far lighter work schedule.) “I’m a 58-year-old diabetic, and I’m working 16-hour days,” he said in the interview today.

Wayans is under contract for six seasons, so he could potentially be asked to honor his obligations. Of course, that rarely happens as there is little point in forcing actors to fulfill contracts when they are unhappy and want out, as that makes for a miserable experience for everyone involved. (Wayans already had been pretty unhappy on set, making work on the series harder for his colleagues, and reportedly had wanted to leave for most of the show’s run.) I hear conversations are ongoing and as of now Wayans has not been released from his contract.

4. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Sabrina is looking really good. Lead def going for that Elisabeth Shue vibe.

The Mandalorian:
    [​IMG]

Couldn’t help but share this with Mr. Stradley. I’m down. Some good directors lined up too.

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I am going to fully admit I do not have a PVR or DVR. Which Sunday - Canadian Thanksgiving! (or at least the day before) - is an interesting conundrum as there is the premiere of Star Wars Resistance, Walking Dead season premiere and the Doctor Who premiere (also the usual Sunday of trying to watch live Simpsons / Family Guy / Last Week Tonight a bit of Sunday Night Football). Also I can't really settle into some TeeVee viewing until 10 PM when Resistance starts and there's repeats of WD and DW late into the night (I think DH has a 2 AM repeat, I know it airs at 1:45 PM live but I ain't going to make that)

Now my Doctor Who knowledge is really limited but I did see the Christmas special and as that ended with the new Doctor getting sucked out into space I at least want to see that. So basically a whole lotta flipping back and forth if I want to at least try to catch all three. Live TV watching, whoo! It's an endurance sport, I tells ya

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The Good Omens teaser:

The acting is a little over-the-top, but as I love Tennant and Sheen, really liked the book, and they have actually gone for a Queen soundtrack (at least in the trailer), I'm going to have to give this a watch.

It's going to be on Amazon Prime in 2019, but I think it will also show on BBC2 at some point.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  7. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003

Wow

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2018
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  9. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    A new trailer for the Little Drummer Girl.

Episode 1 premieres on BBC 1 this Sunday at 9 o'clock pm.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I heard alot of good things about Netflix's Haunting of Hill House, so I gave it try and I'm six episodes in and think the show is fantastic.

This series does a wonderful job with its story telling and direction. The first two episodes are a slow burn to provide the necessary setting and character development. By the third episode the narrative and pace moves fluidly as it gives the audience a good amount of mystery, intrigue and horrific imagery. The characters are given time to be fully fleshed out as well as provide an emotional connection to the viewer. And in episode six, the director does a magnificent job of creating a very long single camera extended shot for most of the episode, which reminds me the way the movie Birdman was filmed or the opening scene in the movie Gravity. And as such, it helps create the spooky and frightful ambiance of the episode as the viewer is given only one narrow point of view to see things. Soooo good!

So far, I'd say Haunting of Hill House is like a mashup of Stanley Kubrick's The Shining and the It movie, but with enough of its own elements to distinguish itself form those films. There's a lot of creativity in the writing and directing, so it's not all that predictable. As the story goes on, there are just some layers being peeled away. I'll finish up the series over the weekend.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    soitscometothis likes this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    January 10th!

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I finished Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House over the weekend and it didn't stick the landing for me.

13. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    What didn't you like? On the whole I thought it was very good, I just didn't like the wrap-up at the end very much.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well...

I thought the last episode totally change the tone and horror aspects of the entire season.

Until the last episode or so, the viewers are made to believe the house is evil and is feeding on the people living in the house. However, after all is said and done, the people that once lived in the house now need the house to live forever with their departed. Everyone is "awake." So, the element of Hill House being evil is diminished to the point where it really wasn't. It's just some of the ghosts having fun with the new residents; namely Poppy Hill.

Personally, I was thinking the ending might be something along the lines of Stanley Kubrick's The Shining because of how Hill House was getting into the head of the mom, Liv Crain (Carla Gugino). I mean, when she did those master blue prints, it was almost like the scene in The Shining where we see what Jack has been writing on the typewriter.

I also want to get some more information on Liv's and Theo's powers on being able to "vibe" on objects and people. I thought Liv's power was the reason why she was getting headaches and her husband wasn't.

The ending was a feel good Hollywood story, where you feel good about Hill House remain standing and where all the characters end up.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  15. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Yeah, I pretty much agree with your points, particularly the awkward feel-good aspect.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I think overall, The Haunting of Hill House was great, especially the reveal of...

Nell being the "Bent Neck Lady" and going through the recapping the appearances of the "Bent Neck Lady" when Nell discovered that true. It was so well done.

And that jump scare down the line when the older sisters are talking in the car. Awesomely done.

The ending was like...
    a poor man's Sixth Sense, as see dead people is considered a gift of sorts. Hill House is somewhat a gift for the people that are "awake."

17. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    My brother and sister in law told me not to bother with the series as a whole. They said it wasn't scary and it wasn't very good.

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    It's probably as scary as The Sixth Sense, but it's the destination of the ending that ruins the journey of the story. At least for me. There's some really good campfire ghost story telling after the first two episodes and before the last one. At the very least, I found it to be quite entertaining.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I finished Netflix's Maniac and I loved every damn crazy minute of it.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Netflix Maniac is next on my list because I heard good things about and the trailer hooked me too. Plus I'm a big fan of Emma Stone as she never seems to mail it in. Jonah Hill as been kind of hit and miss with me, but I'm curious to see how Stone and Hill work together.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    My brother in law keeps mentioning MindHunter on Netflix. Anyone give that a yay or nay?

22. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Yay.

23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Do you watch/enjoy Criminal Minds, Tony? Lots of similarities.

24. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Never watched it. Do people still watch shows on CBS? :p

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    CBS had a minute there with some decent sci-fi content - Person of Interest, Supergirl, Under the Dome and Brain Dead. But none of those are on CBS anymore. And they, y'know, own Star Trek and all (they'll probably at least continue to show the pilot episodes on broadcast I'd wager).

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018