main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Airwaves, Streams, Fibers & Cords: General TV Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 10, 2012.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow, app expansion to shutdown in less than a day. Good on them though to shut down gracefully and not burn through the rest of their capitol trying to recover from the bad timing of the launch- especially since their key use case wasn't going to be viable again for at least a year.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Goodbye from Quibi note, they still blamed the pandemic but sort of admitted the concept wasn't good enough to launch the service

And yet, Quibi is not succeeding. Likely for one of two reasons: because the idea itself wasn’t strong enough to justify a standalone streaming service or because of our timing.

Unfortunately, we will never know but we suspect it’s been a combination of the two. The circumstances of launching during a pandemic is something we could have never imagined but other businesses have faced these unprecedented challenges and have found their way through it. We were not able to do so.

Which brings us to this moment. As entrepreneurs our instinct is to always pivot, to leave no stone unturned — especially when there is some cash runway left — but we feel that we’ve exhausted all our options. As a result we have reluctantly come to the difficult decision to wind down the business, return cash to our shareholders, and say goodbye to our colleagues with grace. We want you to know we did not give up on this idea without a fight.

Our goal when we launched Quibi was to create a new category of short-form entertainment for mobile devices. Although the circumstances were not right for Quibi to succeed as a standalone company, our team achieved much of what we set out to accomplish, and we are tremendously proud of the award-winning and innovative work that we have produced, both in terms of original content and the underlying technology platform. Over the coming months we will be working hard to find buyers for these valuable assets who can leverage them to their full potential.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    "The circumstances were not right - for one thing, there was a pandemic, and also a relatively unknown upstart named 'Your Tube' or something to that effect cut into our market share somehow."

I'd congratulate Katzenberg et al on a successfully navigated investor con but I suspect they just cost a bunch of people at other companies they tricked into pivoting their health insurance.

4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    In an alternate, pandemic-free timeline, Quibi is the biggest hit since YouTube

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The kids are constantly going around talking about Q score, which is of course the social value all people now assign to each other based on how much Quibi Qontent they have Qonsumed. It has replaced most cruder forms of interaction. Drug problems have evaporated as people realize the most natural high there is is sweet, sweet Quibi videos. World peace talks are underway as a particularly amusing Will Farrell sketch comedy series has convinced all groups to set aside their differences. "It's just so funny that he plays an adult that still has many child-like attitudes," said the former head of ISIS as he voluntarily gave himself up to the United Nations.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    But where oh where shall I get my quick bites of content now??

7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Where does everyone think the Quibi content will end up?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    YouTube?

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    WWE will probably put it's stuff on the WWE Network.

10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    My assupmtion was Youtube as well, but from the article I read, it sounds like Quibi is going to try and sell it since they own the rights to the content. Will Youtube really buy it? Also since the company is ending, who does ownership fall to? It makes sense if the WWE stuff goes to the WWE Network, but will they have to pay for it or will ownership default to them?

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Speculating really wildly just knowing how WWE has historically approached these sorts of deals, Quibi probably paid WWE to make stuff for them. If I'm Quibi in that situation, I demand ownership, maybe WWE has to agree to future ownership transfers or whatever. So then Vince has to buy it back if he wants it, and because it's Vince he'll wait until the price drops. Which it might, because while Quibi is probably obligated by some contract stuff or whatever to try and look for buyers, I'm not so sure there are any.

Unless YouTube Red has secretly been this tremendous success or something in the background.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Juliet316 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  12. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    You have a lovely sense of humor :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Where I always got them... YouTube.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Quibi postmortem article here but interesting note about who gets what and when, I'm just even more confused now from this bit

The founder and CEO say they plan to sell rights to the programming. It’s complicated, however. They can sell the programming to a streamer after two years but all rights revert back to the content creators after seven years.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They have the "broadcast rights" and can resell those after 2 years, but they revert to the creators 5 years after that.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    So... they definitely won't be selling anything. :p

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Good, I want an easy way to watch some ATV+ when I inevitably get a month free just so I can binge then cancel :p

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Tom Hanks disapproves of your mercenary subscription habits.

[​IMG]

Juliet316 and Princess_Tina like this.
  21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Awwwwwwwwwww....... :(

Now we won't get that much-anticipated David S Pumpkins special on ATV+ :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There already is one- I assume you'd find it on Peacock, however :p.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The David S Pumpkins special is okay but the original Haunted Elevator skit is still a straight up classic. It's fun to watch 22 minutes of it though as it's basically a Christmas special except David S Pumpkins.

I noticed the PS4 video app got a few updates, Disney Plus suddenly looks better (After updating like daily on September), it has Crave now and Apple+ will hit it as well with the PS5 update (I have apple+ installed on Amazon Firestick but now with Apple+ and Crave on PS4 my firestick became suddenly more useless). Since the PS5 has a remote that has Netflix and DisneyPlus built into it it's likely they're updating all the playstation video apps for PS5 launch.

[​IMG]

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/1...p-entertainment-streaming-apps-coming-to-ps5/

When I get a ps5 (circa probably 2022 summer hahahah) definitely getting this. PS3 had an official Sony remote but PS4 I had to use technically a bootleg remote (Which works pretty solid) but yay remote, I hate using my game controller to watch videos for some reason hahahah

Princess_Tina likes this.
  24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I preordered this media remote with my PS5. I missed the one the PS3 had for sure.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Coincidentally, my TiVo's drive died yesterday so, in the meantime, until I get it serviced/replaced (via a third party service, because TiVo's prices for new equipment w/lifetime service agreements has gotten completely ridiculous, almost doubling since I bought this unit!), I've been using my PS4 to stream content on, which has given me a chance to compare the PS4 Prime Video app with the TiVo Prime Video app. I'm not sure if the differences are due to updates or other issues, but it's a mixed bag.

Navigation is much more responsive on PS4, as one would expecting with the differing processing power between the two machines. The UI differences are a little weird- PS4 does not have a direct link to your Watchlist or your rentals, but rather a "My Stuff" link that brings you to a sub-menu with them on it. On the upside, in combination with the faster response, it's avoids the weirdness of having your Watchlist default to the TV tab and having to navigate to your movies tab, since they're now all on one screen. So, they both kinda balance those flaws out in different ways.

Most strange of all is that the format of the Watchlist content on PS4 does not include the runtime of a film in its description like it does on TiVo- you can only find out that info by clicking into the information for each film. That's actually very annoying since that can be a deciding factor for me as to deciding which film I'll be watching in a given moment.

The PS4 version also doesn't seem to support any version of X-ray. Either that, or somehow the movies I chose to watch didn't utilize the feature. But it has neither the less-intrusive (and rather useful) "cast only" X-Ray of TiVo nor the more intrusive "more info sidebar" style of the web browser interface.