main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Airwaves, Streams, Fibers & Cords: General TV Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 10, 2012.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    HBO Max and Roku reach a deal.

Roku users will be able to download HBO Max from the Roku channel store and subscribe directly on their Roku device to access all of HBO Max – including 10,000 hours of curated premium storytelling from brands like HBO, Warner Bros., DC, Adult Swim and more.

For users who have already subscribed to HBO through their Roku devices, the HBO app will automatically update to become the HBO Max app and they will be able to log in using existing HBO credentials.

NBC developing Night Court sequel.

The new take follows the unapologetic optimist judge Abby Stone, daughter of the original series character Harry Stone (the late Harry Anderson) as she follows in her father’s footsteps and presides over the night shift of a Manhattan arraignment court.

Abby tries to bring order to its crew of oddballs and cynics, most notably former night court prosecutor Fielding (John Larroquette reprising his role). The original series ran from 1984-1992 for nine seasons and nearly 200 episodes.

Dan Rubin s attached to write and will executive produce the project alongside Melissa Rauch (“The Big Bang Theory”), Winston Rauch and Larroquette for Warner Bros. Television.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Night Court was a great series.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    FINALLY able to get HBO Max on my Roku. Now I can finish getting caught up on Westworld.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    @solojones, is it true that the PS5 is set up like a Roku? i.e. you have access to most of the major streaming services?

5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean, it has the streaming services that are available on PS4. It doesn't have as many as a roku (which has them for basically every cable channel). But it's got all the major things... Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO, Amazon

6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, not only will Clarice not use Hannibal due to story concerns (ie: he's in hiding between Silence and Hannibal), but they aren't allowed to even mention him, due to rights issues (though other elements, like Buffalo Bill, from Silence can be mentioned/used).

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    What a pointless show.

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm struggling to think of another franchise property so hilariously unable to even mention the stuff it's franchised off of.

Juliet316 , BigAl6ft6 and solojones like this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Maybe Star Trek for a spell there, during the Paramount/CBS split. But, yeah, Hannibal unable to use Clarice and Silence, Clarice unable to use Hannibal.

BigAl6ft6 and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yikes this quote you can feel the spin coming off of it. although it's funny one of the show creators still can't keep the rights straight!

Kurtzman tells EW: “I’m still trying to understand how the rights are divided. But it’s been quite liberating because we have no interest in writing about Hannibal – not because we didn’t love the films and the show, but because it was done so well by so many people that it didn’t feel fresh for us.”

Anyway, on a personal note, 8 whole weeks of Star Trek and Star Wars live action shows back2back airings (give or take an hour) has ended for me but it went out on a solid note. hopefully the stars/airing schedules align again like that some time in the future cuz I loved it with ST/SW weekly TeeVee fix in one late night stretch. I exclaimed aloud to myself at times watching both shows this late Thurs/early Friday.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    To be fair to Kurtzman, Hannibal would overshadow anyone else if he showed up. So if your plan is to tell a story about Clarice, leaving him off-screen is probably a smart idea (beyond continuity). Defending a lack of being able to mention him is mostly spin (though, again, it does free them of the burden of audience expectation of "When is Hannibal going to show up?" "What about Hannibal?", etc).

EDIT- Alan Tudyk: The Series

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Sky Disney (movie channel) is closing on Dec 31 in the UK. That's the last remainder of Disney-branded channels on the Sky platform. Looks like it will be replaced with Sky 5Star at least for now.

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah it's pure spin. CBS just should have licensed the rights to Hannibal back in the day so we could have had Clarice and SotL done in their way. It would have been absolutely amazing. Instead we get another bland CBS procedural. Yawn.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Juliet316 and solojones like this.
  16. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    That's funny, but that pricing structure was in place well before "The Office" came to Peacock, but it's not a bad measuring stick. I signed up for Peacock just to watch the new "Saved By the Bell" show. You'll essentially learn the same thing as above.

Tier 1 - Signing up was free as well as the first episode.
    Tier 2 - Want to watch the other 9? Sign up for Premium.
    Tier 3 - Want to download the episode to your device and watch later at your leisure without internet. Upgrade to Premium Plus.

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [face_laugh] It's just funny that they're so show-specific with it now.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Tier elite content pricing baby! Wave of the future! not unprecedented either, basically started with Trolls World Tour hit VOD with an unheard of 20 dollar price tag.

20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Might as well lead with the only reason 40% of their customers are even subscribing.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I love that the third tier literally says enjoy our programing with no ads, except when there are some.

Though I can't complain a ton, Peacock has They Live at the moment, which alone vaults them above most other streaming sites.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The fact that Peacock has a free version at all is at least a nice option.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Don't Jim and Pam hook up at the end of S2 of the US Office anyway? I mean, for free you're basically getting the entire series arc.

this unused Matrix intro was actually fantastic

25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003