main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Airwaves, Streams, Fibers & Cords: General TV Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 10, 2012.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    "The follies surrounding the massive penis, they remind us that ultimately even our sexual lives are fundamentally absurd and without known purpose. We are invited to mock this mifortune which plagues us all when it is observed in others. This pitiless existential abyss is in many ways the true comedy." - Danish person, probably

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    It’s not for us, it’s for 4 to 8 year olds

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    You're right, maturity wise, we're way too young for this show.

Darth Punk likes this.
  4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    My wife and I binged the entire first season of Netflix's Tiny Pretty Things. There's a lot of sex scenes in this series. The series hooked us on the opening "who done it" scene. There's a variety of characters doing outrageous scenes. And there's not a lot of real world logic in the series, but don't let the logic get in the way of sensationalized and salacious story telling. In a world with not a lot of new content, Tiny Pretty Things fills the void with its cheap thrills. The series also feature Lauren Holly. Nice to see her working again.

Before we started Tiny Pretty Things, my wife and I watched HBO Max's The Flight Attendant. Not seeing any of the trailers or marketing materials for this series, I thought it was going to be some type of comedy. Boy was I wrong. It starts off that way and then makes a hard left turn into a drama. The series loses its stream a few episodes in and doesn't stick the landing.

Now, I'm onto Cinemax's via HBO Max Warrior series. I have watched the first episode and I'm not yet hooked on it. I'll probably watch the second episode later tonight.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So this is an interesting play: Hulu is cutting prices for US college students. They're essentially offering the Black Friday $2/m special for the AVOD tier.

That's something different to position Hulu even more uniquely against their streaming competition. Target the cash-strapped college student.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    solojones and Juliet316 like this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    oooh, found DisneyPlus Star content (got lost in the shareholders announcement with all the Marvel and Star Wars content announcements). Huh, can finally watch The Americans and Helstorm and Aliens and Deadpool and Logan! Basically just peeking at all the graphics for what'll be there. X-Files I noticed is on Amazon Prime in Canada as well but looks like it's here too. Hopefully Futurama lands on here as well.

During the Investors Day event, Disney announced details on how more mature content will be coming to Disney+ outside the United States with Star.

The Star brand serves as home to thousands of hours of movies and television from Disney’s creative studios, including Disney Television Studios, FX, 20th Century Studios, 20th Television, Touchstone, and more, enhanced by the addition of local programming from the regions.

From comedies to dramas and thrillers, Star offers a range of titles for everyone and every mood. Star will also deliver brand-new originals from Disney’s General Entertainment studios in International markets, with over 35 first-run series set to premiere by the end of the first year.

[​IMG]

Disney+, the exclusive streaming home for Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, and The Simpsons, adds even more content with the addition of the Star brand. Fully integrated into Disney+ in select markets outside the U.S., Star launches as a sixth brand tile with its own dedicated brand page featuring a robust collection of general entertainment movies, television, documentaries, and more, along with Star-branded new exclusive originals and local productions being created for the service. In Continental Europe, for example, Star will offer approximately 50 local originals each year, by FY24.

[​IMG]

Disney+ with Star brings subscribers:

• A Single Entertainment Destination for All Audiences: All the content, including movies, shows, shorts, and originals from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, plus an additional 1000 unique titles under the new Star brand in the first year.
    • Exclusive Originals: Over the next few years, Disney+ plans to add over 60 brand new originals from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, and Star, along with local productions being created for the service under the Star brand geared towards a more mature audience.
    • Robust Parental Controls: To keep Disney+ suitable for audiences of all ages and the experience parents expect, new parental controls will include the ability to set limits on access to content for specific profiles based on content ratings and the ability to add a PIN to lock profiles with access to mature content.
    Disney+ will be updated to include the Star brand on February 23rd, 2021 in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada. The streaming service will continue its global rollout, now with Star, in new markets beginning with Singapore on February 23rd, 2021, followed by Eastern Europe, South Korea, Japan, and Hong Kong later in 2021.
    [​IMG]

Adding Star as the sixth pillar of Disney+ is a huge boost to the streaming service, with thousands of more episodes and hundreds of movies, including titles such as Marvel’s Logan and Deadpool, ABC shows such as Grey’s Anatomy, FX shows and many Hulu Originals. There will also be 20th Century Studios movies such as Die Hard, Aliens, Kingsman and much more.
    [​IMG]

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah in the US those are on Hulu.

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah it looks like Disney gave up on launching Hulu internationally and basically made it an add-on to Disney Plus. It'll be interesting that some Hulu shows here are already on different services like Handmaid's Tale is on Crave, it'll probably stay on Crave in Canada but I'm assuming any new Hulu content will be on D+Star. pretty stoked for the 20th Century Fox back catalogue though, be amazing if Logan is in 4k, that'll probably be my first watch.

Juliet316 and solojones like this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I guess that gives them time to roll out the new branding before they hit the backlog of constant Trek shows later in the year.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I knew this was coming and hope it means I get all the seasons of Ink Masters in it since I already have CBS All Access.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    That's great and all, but Mike and Rich still won't review season 3 of Discovery regardless.

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "I don't know how some people sleep at night," Smith said of the Fox News employees who knowingly spread falsehoods. "I know that there are a lot of people who have propagated the lies and who have pushed them forward over and over again who are smart enough and educated enough to know better."

Sociopaths who do it for the money and know no matter what their base will just believe them. Although, recently, the ratings of Fox News took a huge downturn and both CNN and MSNBC beat them in the ratings for the first time in while.

solojones and Juliet316 like this.
  15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Which will probably mean a lot of that content will end up on Peacock or USA.

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah at first I was worried then I saw a lot of their games will move to peacock. So I'll watch EPL there.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    HBO & HBO Max have reached 41m subscribers.

However, I find the grouping of both together a questionable stat- as if they want to boost HBOM's performance perception by adding in the (possibly larger) standard HBO base.

Modern Family's entire run will be coming to both Hulu and Peacock
    starting Feb 3rd. A result of the existing USA syndication deal between NBCU and Disney. This new, rare team-up deal circumvents the limitations of that syndication deal which would have prevented ether service from singularly carrying the series until 2024.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It’s particularly suspicious since they’re only talking about US subscribers - i.e., the market where you actually can choose between HBO and HBOM. Still, I think they’re being honest about it being a success for HBOM or they wouldn’t be leaning into it.

Now, retention might be another matter entirely...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Well they might be grouping them together also because there's overlap. For instance, I have HBO through my cable subscription, and I get HBO Max for free because of it.

EHT likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  23. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    So I guess AppleTV+ strategy is to take big name actors (well, relative) and cast them in series about real-life events that no one could fathom as a TV show.

Case in point: the WeWork TV series.

solojones likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Canada's Star lineup for DisneyPlus, unlike the international list it looks like Canada is not getting any newish FX content (that's on FXNow Canada app, which I've tried, which is terrible) but I do see older FX stuff like Strain and Sons of Anarchy, and a whole whack of 20th Century Fox! Firefly, Aliens, Futurama, 24, X-Files, Water for Elephants, Whitemen Can't Jump, Logan, Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story, Deadpool! I can finally watch Buffy and Angel if I want do (answer is definitely maybe! but so much). And newer Hulu content like Helstorm and Solar Opposites. (Stuff like Handmaid's Tale is Crave etc.)

I don't know what my first watch will be but probably Logan and the Futurama "where no fan has gone" episode is definitely up there.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Peacock Exceeding Expectations.

Apparently anticipation of The Office becoming exclusive to it gave it a huge surge in December. Peacock is now at 33m subscribers as of the end of 2020. They previously had targeted to hit 35m by the end of the 2024. Actual impact of The Office's exclusivity on numbers won't be known until April, as it didn't become exclusive to Peacock until January 1st.

solojones likes this.