main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Airwaves, Streams, Fibers & Cords: General TV Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 10, 2012.

1. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Natasha Lyonne To Star In Rian Johnson Mystery Series ‘Poker Face’ Picked Up By Peacock From MRC Television
    https://deadline.com/2021/03/natash...poker-face-peacock-mrc-television-1234715689/

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I found a few series to watch on YouTube. I discovered this informercial for the app "Houzz," called "My Houzz" which features celebrities renovating homes for their family/friends. So far I've seen episodes featuring Mila Kunis, Kate Upton, Mario Lopez, Gordon Ramay and Olivia Munn. The other show I discovered on YouTube is "Architectural Digest" which reminds me of MTV's "Cribbs." So far I have taken a tour of the houses of Jessica Alba, Rain Wilson and Kendall Jenner.

My wife loves watching how people design and decorate their homes.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I just bought the complete series of Frasier. I'm about to start season 2 of Cheers tomorrow. I'm all in on this journey.

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    That reminds me of the sitcom Night Court. For some reason Night Court is overlooked as one of the more popular comedy series from the 80s. I saw a YouTube clip showing all the would be stars that appeared on the show, with of them being Brent Spiner, who played a hick from the sticks, a total opposite of his Star Trek character, Data. Night Court is a series I wouldn't mind rewatching.

The2ndQuest and Juliet316 like this.
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There's a sequel relaunch series in the works, IIRC, focusing on Harry's daughter.

Wow, that's a pretty big get. I wonder how this will affect Knives Out 2.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It sounds like Johnson is the producer but not the showrunner.

Anyway, I finally started watching WandaVision yesterday and now I'm through six episodes. Really digging it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It says he’s the creator, writer, director and executive producer for Poker Face.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    bstnsx704 and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    While I was watching Superman and Lois last night, I discovered by a commercial that the CW has a TV show called Walker a reimage/reboot of Walker Texas Ranger. I had no idea. I also had idea that CW has reimaged and is rebooting Kung Fu, which caught my attention. It is certain very different from the 70s version of Kung Fu in pretty much way based on the commercial I've seen. I would suspect Kung Fu might be more anticipated if it followed a box office successful Shang Chi and the Legends of the Ten Rings or if the live action Mulan was successful.

I'll be checking out Kung Fu.

Speaking of Shang Chi, that reminds the lead actor of the film, Simu Liu, and his sitcom series on Netflix, Kim Convenience, will not have a sixth season and thus not bringing some certain plot points to a close, as Simu Liu commented. It's a bummer. I really enjoy Kim Convenience for its characters, humor and stories and how it manages not to be racially stereotypical but yet present a feeling of cultural authenticity.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ah, HBOMax, it has...Ready Player One! Yay!

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Josh Gates did a 4-part spin-off special, Expedition Back to the Future, where he and Chrisyopher Lloyd track down all the Deloreans used in the films, go into the history of the car, etc. Sounds like I'll have to hit up Discovery+ on a trial soon to check it out, or hope I can nab a rerun when I get around to fixing my Tivo (which, given how they rerun Expedition Unknown constantly, might not actually be that difficult).

11. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I don't know where to put this. So here goes:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/warner-bros-return-to-theaters-in-2022-is-going-to-loo-1846534733

Warner Brothers is signing an exclusive distribution deal with only one theater chain for 2022 (Regal).

I'm still unclear on what this means -- they're giving up on roughly the biggest market (NYC) with the premium screens (there are no true IMAX screens in NYC that aren't AMC), and there are plenty of areas with no real Regal presence (i.e. AZ has one Regal in the state best as I can tell). So it sounds like WB is intentionally trying to screw over theater chains, and their individual subscription plans (A-List was a godsend in NYC for AMC theaters), while essentially forcing people to HBO Max -- why wait 45 days to see a movie in a theater; if you've waited that long, just watch it on your TV!

I know I'm never going to go to a Regal theater here...

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Anybody had an opportunity to check out Netflix’s new docuseries thing on the samurai? I’ve had kind of a low-key interested in learning more about the Sengoku Jidai, but the dire state of non-Japanese language works on the subject (I think exactly one primary text - the biography of Nobunaga - has ever been translated) always kept me from bothering, so in theory it should be up my alley...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yes, I have been able to check out the first episode of the samurai docuseries on Netflix. The recreation of the events recounted in the series are done very well and could be made into a Game of Thrones type of drama series. I mean, the historical figures/characters and ancient time period really lends itself for a screenplay. Netflix could beat Disney+ to the samurai inspired tales as Shogun with be heading into production.

Ramza likes this.
  15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    What's it called?! This is for me.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Age of Samurai: Battle for Japan.

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I was gonna add it to my queue but it looks like Netflix is down :(

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    This Friday, I'm looking forward to watching Amazon's Invincible. I have not read the comic book by the same name, so I'm going into the animated series with no preconceived notions or expectations.

The trailer looks somewhat familiar with its animation looking like an episode of DC's Young Justice and with the story feeling like the movie Sky High.

The reviews that I've come across of the first couple episodes have really been positive. I hope it's as great as I've heard.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Uh, I won’t give the game away, but I do need to warn you right now: I have not seen Sky High, but I’m still pretty confident Invincible is nothing like a Disney Channel original movie regardless. And I don’t just mean because of the violence.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    darthcaedus1138, BigAl6ft6 and dp4m like this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, thank you for, uh, beating me to this...

Ramza likes this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yes, testament to the marketing, there are a lot of elements I suspect newcomers will not see coming.

dp4m likes this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also, you like The Expanse, right? Sky High isn't a Disney Channel original (it was an actual film, in theaters!) -- but it's got a lot of young up and coming actors (including Expanse, Flash, Scott Pilgrim, etc.), and a ton of older former/later super-hero stars -- it's just a way more fun film than it has any right to be.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Never read Invisible but I heard enough about Invincible just via comic book nerdom that I kinda pretty sure I know what the big central twist is, at least early on. But that show looks like a good watch.

As for Netflix going to weekly model, I hope it stays that way. I straight up prefer shows in weekly bites, even if the whole season is there (my phone literally sends me google updates with spoilers for Netflix shows like the weekend they come out, it's kinda horrible). At my admittedly glacial yet preferred pace, as TeeVee is intended dangit, of basically one new episode per week for last few years, I finally finished six seasons of Community today. Where's the movie?

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Never seen The Expanse, I think you’re mixing me up with someone else.

But given the strong pitch maybe I’ll check Sky High out if Disney ever deigns to grace this half of the continent with a Disney+ rollout. :p