main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Airwaves, Streams, Fibers & Cords: General TV Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 10, 2012.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I watched the first three episodes of Invincible last night on Amazon and I'm hooked. Again, not ever had read the comic books, I didn't know anything about the characters or story lines or any other details. So, I was pleasantly surprised to find out the titular character is part Asian. I knew Steven Yeun was voicing the character, Mark Grayson, but I didn't think the character was Asian because I've seen the comic covers and action figure and I couldn't tell. At any rate, the first episode started off innocently enough with its Justice League and Sky High vibes, but it was the turn the story takes that got me hooked. The first three episodes are easily bingeable, as I think each episode is about 37 minutes long.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Watched the first two episodes of Crash Landing on You last night. I'm hooked. I love the glimpses into North Korean culture. I'm actually watching this as part of a Korean class on a Discord server.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah first two episodes of Invincible are gold. Hella stacked voice cast too, maybe easier to get big players during the start of the pandemic lockdown.

So I was wondering any chance in the 2021 Emmys we could have a "Best Miniseries or Movie" showdown between Wandavision and Zack Snyder's Justice League. I would love that. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    to everyone with a fire stick - check for and download the newest update. totally changes the home/landing page experience, much for the better. still not as straightforward as roku or as polished as apple, but closer.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Watched the first episode of the second season of History channel's The Food that Build America which covers the American creation/version of pizza, which began in began in Wichita, Kansas by a college dropout and his brother in the 1950's. This episode noted that pizza was unknown to most Americans and really only existed in the Northeast where Southern Italians has immigrated to and so the dish was only known through various publications, which a college dropout read about and so he basically started from scratch to create the American receipt for pizza, using a French baguette for the inspiration for the crust and local ingredients for toppings. Thus, Pizza Hut was born.

BigAl6ft6, Juliet316 and solojones like this.
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Here's the trailer for Netflix's Jupiter's Legacy. I think alot of people will think of it as a ripoff of The Boys.

I recall reading the first issue or two of the comic book series, but I don't remember much about it except being kind of bored. It wasn't the usual Mark Millar story telling, IIRC. Oh well. I'll be sure to tune into the Jupiter Legacy's when it drops next month. Although, I kind of wish that Netflix would do a weekly release of the episodes instead of having all the episodes available at once.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, my memory is it got a lot of pre-release buzz since it was Mark Millar and Frank Quitely reuniting... and then everyone gave it the world's most decisive shrug and moved on. Trailer looks kind of neat, at least.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah all I know is the pre-release hype was huge and then basically disappeared when it came out. With Millar and Quitely I'm assuming the schedule was erratic which killed momentum.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I watched Hulu's WeWork: Or the Making and Breaking of a $47 Billion Unicorn documentary and it reminded me of HBO's The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley, whereby the head of these companies are very charismatic and believable, as they received endorsements from business insiders and rich financial institutions. They're selling a promise of a better tomorrow and making the people that are involved a key component in making it happen. It's seems like a very thin line between being an innovative business entrepreneur and cult leader.

And speaking of being a cult leader, I watched the first three episodes of HBO's Q: Into the Storm documentary which convers the origin of the person know as "Q" and started the QAnon movement. I learn this Q person started out posting on Reddit, than got kicked off so he went to 4 Chan and then left that and ended up on 8 Chan, which I learned it the darkest, ugliest and most hateful place on the internet, and the father and son team that owns and runs it don't care and they claim it's truly a place of free speech and nothing is really censored. So far, the series has been presenting theories on who Q could be and why Q was able to capture a following of believers; people that believe there are people in government and in Hollywood eating babies. One woman says she has literally seen this happen. The documentary notes that "Pizzagate" is an example how disinformation becomes some sort of proof, the mainstream media is fake news and thus creates believers.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The latest episode of Amazon's Invincible is the best episode since the first one. Just kinda jaw dropping. :eek:

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Watched the latest episode of Amazon's Invincible and it certainly has the feels of Peter Parker in high school and the titular character is having a tremendous amount of growing pains.

I'll most likely start Amazon's horror series, Them.

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Ready?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I was able to watch the first three episodes to Them on Amazon and it's so creepy and racially charged. And there's the underlying mystery that's slowly unfolding with each episode, and each episode is creating a new mystery. I'm finding Them a very intriguing and engaging show.

I also caught A&E's biography on Steve Williams, better knowns as Stone Cold Steve Austin. I found it very interesting as there were certain information that I did not know.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Amazon's Them is such a mind frak. By episode 4, it's hard for the audience to tell what's really going on versus what could be a false narrative. I was really scared for the older daughter of the family since she really doesn't have a choice where she lives. Episode 5 was so horrific there was a disclaimer before the episode started. It was really some disturbing and disgusting messed up ****.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'm going to start watching HBO The Nevers. I only got to watch like the first 15 minutes of the pilot episode and it's intriguing, which some of the steampunk elements and one superpowered like character.

The latest episode of Invincible was the best since the first episode. The episode kept me on the edge of my seat.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    What hooked me on the Nevers is the bookend scenes in the pilot. Hellova notion that'll keep me watching. But it's basically Victorian Sweary R-rated X-Men. However, I have no problem with that wearing it's influences on it's fluffy sleeve.

Been going through Invincible too, the guest voice cast is just stacked every episode and the slow burn of what's up with Mark's dad is very compelling. Also is it basically the first 45 minute episodic cartoon series, like, ever, since most TeeVee cartoons are 22 or 30 minutes.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The pilot episode of The Nevers was pretty good, and yeah, it's so much like the X-Men with the manifestation of super powered women and apparently the fear and hatred that ensued. And of course, the orphanage for the "touched."

I'm looking forward to the season finale of Invincible. I hope it sticks the landing.

I might check out Netflix's Shadow and Bone over the weekend.

The teaser trailer for Amazon's The Tomorrow War dropped.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I finished up a re-watch of Band of Brothers the other night. Always amazing to watch and one of the gold standards for a mini-series. The Brecourt Manor Assault is one of the better filmed war sequences of all-time and Points is a beautiful episode all around.

I totally forgot a bunch of then unknown actors were in this. I always remembered Tom Hardy was, just because he looks like he's 17 in it but there were a couple others I forgot about. James McAvoy I vaguely remember but didn't realize Andrew Scott was too. In one of the later episodes I had to do a double-take for one, is that, is that....Michael Fassbender?!

Damien Lewis is phenomenal as the main lead (Dick Winters memoir is great read). Easy to forget at times that he's not even American with how much ease he can pull it off in various roles.

BigAl6ft6 and heels1785 like this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    ‘Invincible’ Renewed for Seasons 2 and 3 at Amazon

I've been enjoying Season One, and I'm so glad that's Invincible has been renewed for two more seasons. It's a wonderful series that is somewhat a satiric look at superheroes, particularly Superman, Spider-man and the Justice League.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    "I think I'll watch Tron Legacy," I says. But, wtf, Disney removed it from their own streaming service.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It’s temporarily removed due to pre-D+ contracts. It’ll be back when it leaves whatever service it has jumped to.

Go watch Uprising in the meantime. :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I have. It was awesome.

I'm all in.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Still available on Disney plus Canada! Even the MCU movies returned to Netflix but never left Disney plus on here. And Agents of Shield and all the MCU TV aside from the Netflix shows and Runaways season 3 for some reason