main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Airwaves, Streams, Fibers & Cords: General TV Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 10, 2012.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I don't feel like the ending of Amazon's Them stuck the landing.

The current season of Grey's Anatomy is probably one of the weakest one in the entire series. There isn't really any levity written in this season. It's just so heavy in bringing real world problems of the pandemic, racial, social and economical inequalities into every episode. Not to mention killing off a core character at the beginning of the season. Additionally, the titular character has been in a coma state for 99.9% of the season. There was one episode where they used a mannequin to lie in the coma instead of the actual address.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Started my Amazon free trial. I wanted to rewatch Upload. I keep hearing about Invincible. And I will want to watch the Tolkien series.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    heels1785 likes this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    imagine a lot of that is the wwe acquisition.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Props to Swartzwelder for preserving the long standing tradition of something critically important coming out within a week of Talking Simpsons' news episode.

Absolute legend:

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    From the Annecy Festival, the first look at Netflix's upcoming Samurai Rabbit: The Usagi Chronicles.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    A kind of Usagi Yojimbo, eh?

Oh, apparently it’s a licensed far future adaptation. Carry on then.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  10. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I was able to watched the first few episodes of Netflix's Jupiter's Legacy and just like the comic book series, there's a lot of talking and not the much action. I think I'm on the fourth episode and the TV show is still doing it's setup and background of the characters, and so the plot is not really clear at this point. The action in Jupiter's Legacy is pretty lame for modern standards, especially when the big team fight occurs. The punches thrown don't look fierce or powerful, but rather the actors just pretending to throw a punch. I'll still finish watching the series though because of DC's Kingdom Come vibes.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    So, I finished watching Jupiter's Legacy the other day and the finale wasn't great, but it was probably the best episode of the season one because of the reveals the previous seven episodes built up towards and there's tension and some compelling drama. The show just drags out the certain plot points and character developments way too long that makes the kind of boring.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Big News! Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Metalocalypse and The Venture Bros. are getting feature films, released to BD and then HBOM.

I mean, the Aqua teen one will be nonsense because that's what they do (plus they already got a movie), but the other two are welcome and important surprises for those shows. Metalocalypse in particular, as the show's story was supposed to wrap-up in a 5th season (which was then scaled to a mini-series proposal for budget concerns) before Adult Swim cancelled it in 2015. A coupleyears later the creator pushed a viral fan campaign that drew financial backers to fund the final season, only to have Adult Swim decline once again. So fans will finally get some version of the proposed "The Army of the Dooomstar: The Final Chapter" story.

Likewise, The Venture Bros. (a mainstay Adult Swim show since 2003) was cancelled in 2020 despite a previously-announced 8th-and-final season being in pre-production. So, once again, you have one of the longer-running Adult Swim sagas being cut off right before its conclusion now returning to get that (or, at least, some of that)- though with a much shorter wait between the bad news and the good.

The new Metalocalypse movie, from co-creators Brendon Small and Tommy Blancha, follows the power-hungry Tribunal as they unveil their secret and deadly “Falconback Project”. This is against a backdrop of a world which is growing embattled in chaos with the menacing Doomstar breaching the Earth’s atmosphere. Meanwhile, the mysterious and twisted dissent of a band member threatens the future of Dethklok. Picking up directly after the heroic rescue of Toki Wartooth: Can Dethklok choose between their egos and the greater good of the world to embark on a gauntlet of dangers that will try their very souls and finally write the song that will be their salvation?

Small pens the series original music, and has served with Blancha as the director, writer, and EP on the series which has clocked 63 episodes on Adult Swim. Metalocalypse first aired on Adult Swim in 2003 and ran for 4 seasons, ending with the half-hour special The Doomstar Requeim in 2013. During its run, Small also produced four albums by the show’s fictional band Dethklok, which have sold 1 million albums-equivalents. The Dethalbum released in September 2007 and debuted at #21 on the Billboard 200 chart. The movie soundtrack will be released on WaterTower Music.

In the The Venture Bros. movie, Doc’s latest invention will either bankrupt the Ventures or launch them to new heights, as Hank searches for himself, Dean searches for Hank, The Monarch searches for answers, and a mysterious woman from their pasts threatens to bring their entire world crashing down on them. The Venture Bros. is created, written and executive produced by Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer. The Venture Bros. premiered originally as a pilot in 2003, with the first season airing in August 2004. The series aired 7 seasons and 4 specials over its near 15 year-run and was one of Adult Swim’s longest running series alongside Robot Chicken and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force will be a continuation of the hit animated series, whereby fans will find out what happens next with Frylock, Meatwad and Master Shake, who consider themselves crime fighters, but the truth is they never fight crime. The series was created by Matt Maiellaro and Dave Willis and follows the strange everyday lives of three human-sized food products living in New Jersey. Aqua Teen Hunger Force premiered with the official launch of Adult Swim in September 2001 and aired 11 total seasons and was the network’s first theatrical release in 2007.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    darthcaedus1138 and Ramza like this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I’m a little skeptical about Metalocalypse in a movie format (the 30 minute episodes already felt padded compared to the 15 minute ones), but Doc and Jackson getting to finish Venture Bros. is terrific news.

tom and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Doomstar Requiem rock opera special could be one way that it might avoid feeling that way. A two hour movie with a 30 min opera finale following three 30-min/six 15-min episodes' worth of story would work nicely.

But, then, I'd watch 2 hours of them trying to grocery shop on a loop, so who am I to say? :)

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  20. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Started watching Metalocalypse. I have seen a couple episodes here and there and liked it before now but because of the movie I'll give it it's own chance. It's part of the glory years for AS and actually a bit older than I remember lol.

Obviously psyched they're giving Venture Bros. a proper send-off. Sure, it's not a whole season but I'm not entirely sure a season of tv would have A. taken entirely too long to produce B. be very good but also quite meandering and not as good as a movie could be to end it. I'm sure we'll have plenty of dangling plot threads and things left unresolved, but this feels right.

ATHF is one of the more stoner things I've seen and it's fun and I'll watch the movie but I don't care about it as much. Doesn't seem necessary, but cool!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    See, Venture Bros. would benefit from a longer format the most- I'm kinda hoping they're not trying to make this movie the finale in the hopes of maybe a couple more HBOM films get the go-ahead to wrap it up properly. Not that it can't be done, but there are so many characters and plot threads (even after the one special packed in resolutions to clean house a bit) that it deserves some room to breathe. Plus AS seemed more positive about finding ways to continue VB than Metalocalypse, so multiple films wouldn't be as risky as Metalocalypse trying to do the same.

I'm hoping the downtime since the series finale of ATHF (or whatever they were calling it in the finale season) has given the creators some creative impulse for the film. Everything after the 3rd or 4th season got to just be progressively more super-stoner-weird (though not without the occasional highlight). Those first few seasons are still classic, though.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    EHT and The2ndQuest like this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That’s pretty big. Also bodes well for Discovery content hitting HBOM eventually- or at least offering bundle options ala D+/Hulu/ESPN.

24. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    C'mon, give me that Harry Potter-Deadliest Catch crossover franchise now.

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This article says that NBCU was expected to acquire the WarnerMedia spin-off before Discovery was announced.

Oh, and then casually mentions that NBCU will likely be setting its sights on ViacomCBS.

Double Holy ****, Batman!

EDIT- And Amazon is going after MGM for $9b.

Triple Holy ****, Batman!

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Juliet316 likes this.