main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Airwaves, Streams, Fibers & Cords: General TV Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 10, 2012.

1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003

I was a fan of the first two volumes of the comic (not picked up #3) so I'm interested. They've changed a few characters from the looks of things.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't stream anything and still have the Netflix DVD plan :(

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm as excited for Umbrella Academy like it's a Star War, dangit! Really gotta re-read Vol 1 & 2 before it's out. Interestingly, Way started Vol. 3 yearsssss later when the show was on it's way, maybe he's determined to not run into a Game of Thrones style situation where the TV adaptation would pass his writing.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Dunno who watched Phil Lord and Chris Miller's first big effort years ago, Clone High, but it was amazing

They've gone on to do a bunch of stuff, one of which is Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. There's jumping to parallel dimensions where things are different. In the intro scene for Spider-Gwen it shows her landing in Alt-universe times Square and I noticed, really quickly, a billboard for Clone College. The same clip was posted online and here's a framegrab of it, very cool shout out.

[​IMG]

In the revival era, this is one show that needs to come back and considering they stuck an Easter Egg into Spider-Verse, hopefully they realize that too

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I've been watching Sick Note on Netflix. It's pretty damn funny; Rupert Grint is perfectly suited for a comedic role like this, and of course Nick Frost delivers as a bumbling doctor. Don Johnson also steals the show whenever he's in a scene.

I've just started the second season which has Lindsay Lohan joining the cast, and she's doing pretty well so far. It was always a shame she hit hard times for a while, as she's always been entertaining, so hopefully this is the beginning of a resurgence for her.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  7. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Since we no longer have a Celebrity Deadpool thread (which is fine, I get it) and I wanted to post something about his passing this seemed the most fitting place.

I had no idea he and Albert Brooks were brothers. The guy will always be Super Dave to me. I think my earliest memories of him was in my college days seeing him on The Tonight Show (in the Carson era) and sometimes on Letterman afterwards. And eventually on his own program on Showtime (a show that was, in some ways, a precursor to Mythbusters, ie. "what's another way we can punish this crash test dummy?") He was from that time when writer's rooms for network shows were still a proving ground for future, in-front-of-camera talent. He just didn't hit it quite as big as some of his more notable contemporaries. I was glad to see him eventually show up on Curb Your Enthusiasm after his career had seemingly gone kaput.

RIP ... you made me laugh more than a few times in your time and I am grateful.

[note: Can we maybe get a legit annual rememberances thread? Maybe something without the game aspect to it of the CDP threads].

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Juliet316 likes this.
  8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    With no Deathpool this year, we'll be seeing a bunch of little death notice threads.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Told AT&T I'd cancel if my price didn't come down. They reduced my bill by $85/month. [face_dancing]

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So it's time for the best season of all, Mid-Season! Whole lot coming back now, I'm certainly not picking up any new shows but for Jan-Feb for me I've got

Star Wars: Resistance
    Supergirl
    The Walking Dead
    Runaways
    Gotham
    Orville
    The Gifted
    Punisher
    Star Trek: Discovery
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
    Titans
    The Umbrella Academy
    Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

there's a distinct chance I will go with True Detective Season 3 as well. Family Guy and Simpsons have almost entirely fallen off my radar but I still try to catch episodes on Sundays if I can (not that I try too hard, mind you). And there's my weekly streaming show fix of older shows Happy (only about 3 eps left on Netflix, I know the new season is starting but I think that's going to be a Netflix-only show for me), Bates Motel (season and a half left!), Orphan Black and 30 Rock. Titans is being added a full season to Netflix so I may wait until I finish Happy or when The Gifted is over (only about 6 eps left) to start but I'll probably end up watching the 1st ep the night it hits. Also I do want to watch that Watership Down miniseries which is only 4 eps or so, should be doable.

My stars, that's quite a lot! Certainly more than my fall season pickups and that was already a huge bunch!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Looking forward to the winter break being over and some of my favs coming back next week.

This Sunday
    Family Guy, Shark Tank

Tuesday
    The Conners (for the wife)

Wednesday
    The Goldbergs, Schooled, Modern Family

Thursday
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Good Place

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You're The Worst's fifth and final season started the other night, and Future Man season 2 is out today. Happy days.

13. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Anyone thinking of cancelling Netflix due to the recent announcement of the price hike?

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    In Canada we already had the price hike so still hanging on. I Did also see that NBCUniversal was announcing their own streaming services but hopefully that just stays down in the States. The only US based streaming service I hope/needs to come here is Disney+

Darth_Furio likes this.
  15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I wonder what happens to HULU then?

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Carry on as is for now. Disney Plus doesn’t seem to do mature content, based upon the current leaks. So no home for The Handmaids Tale and such, but I don’t think they’ll kill all that content.

17. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    has anyone seen Project Blue Book on The History channel Its produced by Robert Zemeckis Its got a very cinematic feel to it kind of like The X Files if it took place in the 1950's,

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  18. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Over the weekend I learned that Comedy Central cancelled "Detroiters" My wife and I loved that show. I tweeted at the "Guardians of the Nine-Nine" to try and save it like they did for "Brooklyn Nine-Nine", but I haven't seen anything else on Twitter concerning it. I guess no one cared.

19. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
  20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    According to the news, NBC will still keep their content to Hulu but may save certain titles as NBCU exclusives.

I wouldn't be surprised if NBCU aims to function like CBSAA does and be a premium add-on service to Amazon or, more likely, Hulu. Get most of your favorite NBC shows on Hulu! Want to watch The Office? Add on NBCU for only $5 a month!

21. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003

Somethings I recognise from the comics, some not so much. Cautiously excited.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Ordered To Series At CBS All Access From Josh Boone & Ben Cavell – TCA
    [​IMG]

Diggy likes this.
  23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    With the Picard show and now this, All Access will be too tempting to resist. At least for a month of binging.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Juliet316 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Not to mention the new Twilight Zone. CBSAA actually is starting to build up a decent amount of content. Still not enough to want to pay for multiple months as they debut episodes weekly, but enough, as you say, to justify a month here and there.

(ok, I'm totally watching Picard live, but I'll have this other stuff to watch to help pad it out some ;) ).

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    i watched all of the Netflix/BBC Watership Down miniseries. I heard it was a literary classic so I figured I'd give a miniseries a shot. 4 episodes, 50 longggg minutes each. It was okay, what keeps it going is the roster of voice actors is crazy good. I couldn't tell one damn rabbit from another aside from the ones that sounded like Professor X and Finn but they're decent. The animation is sort of spastic, some looks good, some looks really terribly rendered. I do like how the baddie disappears in a puff of his own hubris. And the final scene is pretty great, although I think there's some ghost afterlife stuff that happened in earlier episode that set that up (although it isn't really properly set up, as the ghost afterlife stuff is introduced and then forgotten until the last 3 minutes). It's not a terrible watch overall but didn't need to be 3 and a half hours long, frankly.

Started re-reading Umbrella Academy today, probably have Vol 1 packed away by the time S1 hits although I'm not sure if S1 is just an adaptation of Vol 1 or they have Vol 2 stuff in there too.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019