main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Airwaves, Streams, Fibers & Cords: General TV Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 10, 2012.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Laughing until I remember Oz the Great and Powerful exists.

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    For what it's worth we watched Sonic 2 last night on Amazon Prime and it began with "An MGM+ Presentation" title card. So obviously Amazon Prime and MGM+ are going to share content.

I do agree with @The2ndQuest that the rebrand they desperately needed it and are off to a good start but like @solojones said, I cannot justify adding a another streaming service especially since again we get cable TV as well. Plus too it doesn't look like it is something our kids would be watching a lot which is something I been trying to look for when we added streaming services. Netflix I say right now is the one that watch the most followed by Disney+. I don't know perhaps down the road we will add it especially if we finally ditch cable TV.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think people will just eventually lean into rotating subscriptions while sticking to 1-3 core services annually. D+, P+ and Netflix have enough regular and legacy content to justify continual subscriptions for me (also, 3 out of the 4 quick-launch buttons on my new Roku's remote are for those services, so that's convenient ;)). And I'll have Prime Video anyways. After that? If I need HBO, Apple, MGM, peacock, etc, I can pull them up for a month or three, really focus on them, and then tap out for a year.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    Runjedirun, Luke02 and solojones like this.
  4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The K2 s1 e2
    Two episodes into this K-drama and I think I’m done with this Bourne wannabe. Episode 1 at least had a really good fight scene, ep 2 was dull, and when the fight scene came it was choppy and unengaging. If you want a good K-drama with action scenes I suggest you go with either The Uncanny Counter (supernatural demon hunters), or Taxi Driver (group of vigilantes targeting criminals that are slipping through the cracks).

5. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Netflix had a massive fourth quarter in 2022:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/19/netflix-nflx-earnings-q4-2022.html

My guess it's the combination of a couple big shows hitting like "Wednesday" and "The Crown" along with the new ad tier but Netflix won't release those numbers to next quarter. Also, Hastings is stepping down as co-CEO and will be the executive chairman.

6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @The Regular Mustache To answer your question from a few days ago on a different thread, Peacock might be the first one to go though for now Comcast sounds confident 2023 will be the bottom for it and start to see gains after that:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/26/peacock-losses-to-peak-this-year-slowly-adds-subscribers.html

To me both hinge a lot on how fast cable TV cutting continues particularly Peacock. Paramount I think offers much more content that people will want outside of that (plus if they continue to offer Showtime as a bundle package) but Peacock is such a barren wasteland that really nobody seems to want it unless you get it for free (like we do since we have Comcast internet and TV though you just need Comcast internet for free basic Peacock) or you cut your cable TV and want it as part of your "digital TV package". I have a couple friends that have done that though all of them except one have Comcast internet so they get it for free anyway.

Everyone else I think is okay for now, even HBOMax despite all the stupidity they are pulling off. Netflix just had a great fourth quarter as I think long term going to ad subscription option saved their bacon. Amazon Prime is well not going anywhere along with Disney+ or Hulu and I think Apple will continue trying to build up their streaming service especially since not only are they continuing to push Apple TV but also because rumors are slowly circulating that the flatscreen TV they been developing the past few years could be ready soon so obviously they want their own streaming service to be add in with it.

So again to me Peacock seems like the most likely to get the axe first. They don't offer much, their library is putrid especially since Universal properties seem to be scattered and are not really interested in acquiring a studio say like Sony Pictures to acquire new content and stuff for an expanded library. But watch the crazy guy who runs HBO will pull the plug within six months just to spite me LOL!

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  7. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I totally agree that Peacock is the most likely one to go. Rian Johnson's new show Poker Face seems to be the only legit hit they have and that just came out! This is going to be Seeso all over again. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seeso

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    peacock is going nowhere unless comcast loses their rights for the wwe and premier league, those are massive draws. i think that the other services will be trying to elbow in on what peacock, apple tv+, and paramount offer in exclusive live sports - hbo max is bringing us soccer over, and netflix has long been rumored to be pursuing rights.

Juliet316 and Guidman like this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's also the question of the projects in the pipeline. The rebooted BSG could give it a genre fanbase anchor to work from, whenever it materializes.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    Juliet316 and Luke02 like this.
  10. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @heels1785 A lot of it will ride with who buys WWE. The most sense would be for Comcast to simply buy it but Shell made it sound like they might not make an offer for it. What if Fox buys it? I don't think they will want it on a competitor's streaming service but I could be wrong.

@The2ndQuest Agree but again I think their overall library is lacking which is I think the rumors of them potentially looking at buying WB Discovery makes a lot of sense. Heck they finally get HP under their umbrella which I am sure they want to truly start back up again somehow to keep the interest in Harry Potter World at their theme parks going.

@Guidman The last Olympics were a complete disaster for NBC particularly on Peacock. Some things played into that from the large time difference and it being six months after the last Olympics since the Tokyo Games were held about six months earlier. Perhaps the Paris games next summer will be better for them with the traditional gap between games intact plus a small time difference.

11. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    The Olympics also. With the shuttering of NBCSN and the Olympic Channel, Peacock is big streamer for that now (along with a wide variety of leagues/events centered around Olympic sports).

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i see peacock as one of the stronger services out there, really. they may not have the original content that netflix or disney have, but the live offerings are better than any other service outside of maybe hulu, which utilizes and integrates abc news and espn+ very well. their technology needs to catch up a bit and their interface is not the best, but it's far better than the likes of prime video.

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    They also just transferred their lone daytime soap opera "Days of Our Lives" from NBC over to their streaming service in an attempt to get revenue from an older audience of streamers as well.

14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Tomb Rider tv series in the works.

solojones likes this.
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

Updated. Movie, Tv series and a game connected.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That is a spectacularly bad idea so, um, I guess it is a good fit for Tomb Raider.

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I hope all is at least decent to good. Tv show and game i have high hopes for, lets see on the movie.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    At least it shows they're trying to enact some kind of coordinated plan with the franchise instead of just rebooting the character for a one-off again. It also gives people a reason to check out that game who wouldn't normally (or who were satisfied with the last trilogy and don't feel particularly motivated for another just yet).

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Ugh..like I love the recent games and I'm interested in a game or show separately but.... Ugh..this has never worked..and yes it's been tried before.

20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I would contend that the fact that there is maybe one one-off reboot in the entire Tomb Raider series, and that you do not seem to know this is the case, is, ironically, pretty demonstrative of how poorly “coordinated plans” can go.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Most importantly, Peacock is the only place where you can get The Blacklist, and follow the exciting story of Elizabeth Keen.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Paramount+ and Showtime will officially merge. Both the Paramount+ Premium tier and the Showtime cable channel itself will be rebranded "Paramount+ With Showtime". Showtime is dropping various shows (either not renewing them, letting finished productions be shopped around or removing existing shows from their service) as a cost cutting measure: American Gigalo, Let the Right One In, Three Women, Kidding, Super Pumped, On Becoming a God in central Florida, American Rust, The End and Wakefield.

solojones and Luke02 like this.
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    As long as Yellowjackets keeps going, I'm ok.

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I haven't really been able to find much info yet, but I'm hoping the "Essential" Paramount + plan for $4.99 / month sticks around with no increases. The only reason we even have that is for Champions League and Europa League soccer. Likewise, the only reason we have Peacock's $4.99 / month plan is for Premier League soccer.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Ahh yeah see I have currently the higher level Paramount+ Showtime and I'm hoping that price yearly goes down just a bit, or that there's a deal at least.

EHT likes this.