main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Alien languages

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Mr_Black, Jun 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    After pouring over NJO to find the grammatical rules of Yuuzhan Vong, the only thing I knew what it was a lot of hard consonants, a lot of gutterals, and words rarely begin with vowels and tends to change direction in the middle. So you know what? When I have to make up some Yuuzhan Vong, I usually do it by bastardizing my already awful hebrew grammar, adding some badly-spelt french, and finishing off by adding a few random Ds and Rs and Ks. In the end, it looks pretty and translates to whatever I want, but doesn't actually mean anything.

2. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    They seem to like doubled vowels, too, and I've always wondered how/if that changes the pronunciation. In English, it usually does, and double vowels normally wouldn't be there without a reason that is reflected in different pronunciation, especially in a language that doesn't seem to rely a lot on the written word. Unless the vowels are just artifacts from an earlier era or another language from which words were borrowed from, and the latter case doesn't make a lot of sense for the Yuuzhan Vong, and I'm not sure how much their language would change over time.

3. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    It's just a nuance of the language. I think it makes it look harder, as it were. I'm not sure if each vowel is pronounced separately or if they form a long. From a simply aesthetic point, it fits the species. I'm not sure if anything in Yuuzhan Vong has a consistant meaning. It's not Mandalore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.