main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Alien resurrection - inspirational or pointless?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by General_Veers05, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think one of the reasons people hate the Newborn is because it does look cute at times, with it's puppy eyes.

2. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    [image=http://www.orphic.nl/aliensNL/AR-hv-newbandqueen.jpg]

Cute little thing.

3. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    It's good that Joss Whedon went on to better work after this disaster.

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The regular aliens and queen look pretty damn cool. The newborn is an abomination that should have been misscarried or aborted. At least Ripley killed that ugly bastard.

Bastard is used in proper context, because the newborn has no father..:)

5. adoyidej

adoyidej Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 2004
    touche'

6. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    [face_sick]

i'd really like to know what was going through the minds of the people who created it

7. General_Veers05

General_Veers05 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2005
    *shudders

What the hell are you thinking???

8. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    very clever

9. General_Veers05

General_Veers05 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2005
    ...could'nt of said it better myself...

Moving (hopefully on from the newborn, even though it will always scar the alien quadrilogy) to the cast and their performance. Som eof you have already posted in the early stages of the thread, but i'm sure you'll think of something to say...

i have lots in mind....o_O

10. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    Ruined the series

The First Two were great III was very good (better than most people think).

11. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I thought the cast was pretty good considering, I liked Ron Pearlmanns perfomance best. I also liked Gary Dourdan as Christie and Michael Wincott thought they should have had more screentime. The rest did ok Weaver was fine as the clone Ripley and even Ryder wasn't that bad her character just wasn't that dynamic.

12. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I read a shooting script of Alien: Resurrection a while back, and I remember it thinking that on paper, it looked good, but it translated to film HORRIBLY!

It wasn't Joss Whedon's fault at all. For me, the problem lays with the Director (Jean-Pierre Jeunet), and the people who pulled the strings at 20th Century Fox.

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I have to throw props to the underwater scene, which was fantastic.

Beyond that . . . it reeked.

14. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    yeah. that was a cool scene

15. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Horrible film all together,it reeked of horrible CGI,bad dialouge,and this new Ripley concept was just stupid.

The New Born was one of the worst ideas ever put on screen

16. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Yeah. Yeah, and I think the biggest shock in the movie was everyone swimming up into that chamber and being surrounded by eggs. Truly horrific.

17. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Something strange I always noticed about that scene. After they retreat back down in the water, two grenades are fired up into the nest. Just two. Somehow, though, there are like thirty explosions all over the room. Many of them nowhere near where the grenades landed. Pretty dumb.

As far as the movie as a whole goes: I certainly wouldn't call it inspirational, and I certainly wouldn't call it pointless. Compared to the other three, yes, it is my least-favorite in the series, but it's not that bad. Seriously. Typical of the overreaction you see on these types of boards. It's nowhere near the suckfest a lot of you are making it out to be. It sure wasn't the greatest movie ever, but it was fairly entertaining at the very least.

As for the biggest complaint, the newborn: Meh. It also wasn't that bad. I'd call it an experiment that failed, but it's not like it was the worst idea in the history of cinema.

18. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    It was a movie where I didn't care at all about anyone who died, because they were all pretty annoying.

19. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Pointless.

The movie was awful. I'd like to see a 5th one where they say 3 and 4 were just a nightmare Ripley woke up from. It angers me that such a good series was tarnished by such a lousy movie.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> As for the biggest complaint, the newborn: Meh. It also wasn't that bad. I'd call it an experiment that failed, but it's not like it was the worst idea in the history of cinema.<<

Having a bad creature design kill the greatest movie monster design of all time (while in an embarassing birth position) certainly ranks up there with the worst ideas in the history of cinema.

21. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    QFT

i just watched this the other day since i have the Quadrilogy Set. i laughed when they said the "company" (Weyland Yutani) was bought out by Walmart [face_laugh]

22. DarthAJ

DarthAJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2004
    Hmmm....no offense to his fans, but why did Fox choose Whedon as a writer when he only had Buffy and Toy Story under his belt at that point? A TV series is alot different then a full length film and a children's movie is also alot different. Why not go for the original writers Dan O'Bannon and Ronald Shusett? Chances are the didn't want to touch it after Alien 3.:p

Still it wasn't enitrely his fault...

EDIT: A Possible Sequel Idea??? Looks promising....

Alien Planet Treatment Review
    July 11, 2006
    By O'Malley

It seems Alien fans are divided when it comes to what they want in another Alien film. One group wants to see it take place on Earth. Another wants to see the Alien home world. And then there are those who want to see it go in a completely different direction, whether that means a sequel removed from Ripley?s saga or simply restarting the series altogether. Count me in the last group. I believe the Alien series has come to a dead end, that there?s no way to continue Ripley?s journey while giving her character the justice she deserves. At this point, I think it?s best to just leave her be, go back to the roots that made these movies great and start again from there.

However, with that said, if a fifth film were to unfold along the lines of this treatment, I may just reconsider.

Alien Planet, a sequel written by Anil Kunnel, takes place some time post-Resurrection. The surviving crew of the Betty have been charged with terrorism and Ripley has gone into hiding under the assumed name Amanda McLaren (sound familiar?). She hitches a ride on the Vassus, a civilian ship with three captains and up to 80 personnel, including several families. It?s on a ?routine? expedition to a distant solar system ? but no one seems to know any of the details.

At night, Ripley is plagued by nightmares, both of past experiences (going as far back as memories of her daughter) and visions of an alien planet. As the Vassus nears its destination, rumours begin to spread amongst the crew of a deadly species found in this system, an old corporation and experiments conducted on the USM Auriga. They demand a halt to the mission until all the details are made known. But when they attempt to stop the ship, it suddenly switches to autopilot and continues onward towards the planet. The crew tries everything they can to override it, eventually resorting to a complete shutdown of the ship?s power systems. It works, but they?re unable to get the power back online and the ship, pulled by the planet?s gravity, begins to descend into its atmosphere.

The world is straight out of Giger?s landscapes ? dark, surreal, and populated by all sorts of hidden, nasty surprises. As the survivors make for shelter, they come across a valley, at the end of which appears to be a large structure with various tunnels leading towards it. In a huge action set piece involving two Alien hives at war, the group makes their way into one of the tunnels and find themselves in an underground abandoned colony of some sort. But they?re not alone.

In addition to being pursued by an Alien, there seems to be another solitary presence here. They travel through many dark corridors, reminiscent of the derelict ship in Alien, and discover several strange laboratories and other chambers where bizarre experiments seem to have been carried out on the Alien species. It?s a terrifying and perilous journey to the building at the centre of the colony, where they can only hope to find some means of escape.

It?s clear from reading this treatment that Kunnel definitely has a grand and thrilling vision for this film. The story and imagery is cold, nightmarish and unforgiving ? exactly how an Alien film should be. The plot and events may progress somewhat like a cross between Pitch Black and Jurassic Park III (with perhaps a little bit from Peter Jackson?s King Kong in there as well), but at its heart is an intriguing and emotional character study of Ripley. I thought there was nothing more to add to her, but Kunnel has proven me wrong.

23. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    sounds like an interesting treatment. although eventually i'd like to know more about the "pilot" species

24. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It would be sweet if they borrow a few elements from the AVP novels and have Ripley encounter and fight along side the Predators and they invite her to join their clan.

25. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i think that would be really stretching it. IMO Ripley's story in the Alien universe is pretty much done

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.