main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Aliens, Hunters, Pirates & Justin Bailey: Metroid [General Discussion]

Discussion in 'Community' started by darklordoftech, Jul 2, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That's really good. Target was still selling new copies for $60 a couple years ago. But that's mostly because Nintendo 1st party titles rarely drop in price if they're not part of a Selects series or whatever.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    SensationalSean likes this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I don't recall any references to how old Ridley is. He could be ancient for all we know. While there haven't been references to "ancient aliens" visiting Earth, there's been so few references to Earth in general that that doesn't mean anything.

3. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Does Earth even exist in the Metroid universe?

4. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Huh, I would have thought lower selling games would drop in price! I think I got my copy online.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    OM did a little better than MP2 and about half a million copies less than MP3- so it wasn't really a lower selling game (especially for something coming out late in the Wii's life cycle- by 2010 the Wii had fallen behind due to the lack of HD and the PS3 was starting to crawl out of its coffin). A few 1st party Wii games, like OM, stayed on the retail aisles at full price next to Wii U games since the system was backwards compatible (and gave the Wii U more titles in that first year or so when it was really hurting for titles).

SensationalSean likes this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder how long the Chozo had been on Zebes when they adopted Samus.

7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I really can't believe they finally made Dread real.

Also: Must get!

EDIT- it’s up on Best Buy now, but probably not for long.

EDIT 2- damn! The Amiibo sold out on BB in seconds! Had it in my cart too! :(

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  9. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    @darklordoftech I'm honestly surprised that this thread hasn't gotten much use since it was created in 2013.

Then I remember that the Metroid franchise hasn't gotten much use since 2013.

Ha!

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Posted this in the E3 thread, but might as well post it here as well:

Never played any of the Metroid titles before, but I absolutely love the look of Metroid: Dread. Very Alien: Isolation inspired, in a sense, with the unkillable enemies that have to be avoided.

If Nintendo stopped being dumb and released a complete Metroid collection, along the lines of what Halo: The Master Chief Collection is for the Halo franchise, I'd probably go out and actually get a Switch.

11. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    So when you guys saw the E.M.M.I.'s chase Samus, were you reminded of General Grievous in the way they transformed & crawled rather hastily after her like he did to get to his Wheelbike?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's basically if, instead of a Kaleesh warlord, they turned a PS5 into General Grievous and then crossed it with the SA-X from Metroid 4.

Also, RIP Arlo [face_laugh]:

Well, Metroids 1 & 3 are already on Switch Online. 4 existed on Wii U Virtual Console, so if they would start adding GBA games on Switch there'd be access to that. Metroid II is the trickier one, but the remake via Samus Returns on 3DS might show up one day. I could see them rereleasing/porting it after Dread gets its time in the spotlight.

Treehouse Live also did some gameplay breakdown:

The EMMIs are seemingly unkillable under normal conditions, tracking you by audio and sight indicators which you can try to avoid giving off. But you can also find destroyed Mother Brain-like units to acquire a limited-use Omega Cannon to take the EMMIs out with, with some good aiming.

13. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I want that special edition and I can't believe I missed the pre-order window. I hope they get more in soon.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I was able to preorder the Amiibo at a GameStop just now despite the website preorder selling out there (and Target and Walmart). Might still have a shot at an SE Dread that way.

Also, I’d hardly call it a preorder window. You missed the preorder snowflake that melted away immediately. ;)

EDIT- Also, if you can't get an in-store pre-order, there's an outside chance that the US Amazon listing isn't actually out of stock and simply hasn't gone live yet. But it's hard to tell- if it sold out, it did so so fast that not even Wario64 was able to catch that it went live. Damn scalper bots are relentless. And Nintendo's scarcity on these sucks. Just make enough to match pre-orders already!

That said, W64 also pointed out a listing on the JP Amazon site which was still in stock and will ship to the US. However, while the game will be playable in English, the art book and such will presumably not be.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Corellian_Outrider and Rew like this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Amiibo functionality revealed.

Samus will give you any energy tank on first tap, refill energy once a day after that. EMMI gives you a missile+ tank first time and refills once a day after that.

Corellian_Outrider and Rew like this.
  16. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

New trailer

17. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I was unable to procure a special/collectors edition. =(( I'm going to try my luck at my local Target on Friday at 8 AM. If no luck, then I'll probably just get the regular one and play it since I took the day off to enjoy it.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Good luck! They sold out quick. Was fortunate to have just checked Wario 64 the moment he flagged it before I went to bed while still working a weird work shift. Would have missed it under any other conditions.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  19. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah, no luck with the special/collector's edition at Target this morning. They weren't shipped any. They had exactly 2 new Samus Amiibos and 2 Switch OLEDs. I didn't want either, but I was 4th in line and of course it was first come first serve so they were all gone when it was my turn regardless.

I played Dread from 8:30 AM - 11:00 AM and then again from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM. I'm digging it so far. It's definitely has a high challenge factor and it throws you right in it. It feels semi on rails, but then kind of lets you go after a little while. It takes some getting used to, but it starts to feel familiar after a few hours.

Gameplay spoilers:
    I wasn't until early afternoon that I the morph ball. I felt like forever since it's the first thing you get in every game, but they wanted you to use the slide mechanic.
    I also just got the Varia suit and fought Kraid. He was tough but felt good when beating him. You're awarded with the Diffusion Beam which is essentially the Wave Beam.

20. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Welp, time to get the first Metroid game I'll ever get in my 25 years of video-gaming.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    At the end and work your way back, we’ll meet in the middle.

22. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I don't like the EMMI's

The first one with here's how you kill it, I died a few times.

The second hunted me down like I was in the hunger games.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

23. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011

Good review. And only 10 minutes long, thank God. I find too many YouTube reviews nowadays to be overly-long.

24. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Oh man, I had no idea how badly I’d been craving a 2D Metroid game again. This one checks all the right boxes for me. Ori and Hollow Knight whetted my appetite, but this one here is the main course.

I’ve played for about three hours so far, and am eager for more!

25. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Finished it today with a clear time of 10:50:17 and 62% of the items collected. I had a lot of fun with it and I felt like I got my money's worth. There were some frustrating moments, mini boss and boss fight wise especially, but other than that I highly recommend this game. I'd love to see all the games re-made with this play style. MercurySteam did an excellent job with "Samus Returns" so it's no surprise they did the same with "Dread".

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021