main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Aliens, Hunters, Pirates & Justin Bailey: Metroid [General Discussion]

Discussion in 'Community' started by darklordoftech, Jul 2, 2013.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I've started to gel with Dread

able to run through the EMMI zone now, just need to be brave and keep an eye on the mini map.

Just faced the first "Control" enemy for the first time. The game gives you so little information I was unsure if I was hurting it at first but then I broke the shell. It still killed me but I again have more of a clue on what I was doing.

the game is much easier to play on the tv using a pro controller than in handheld mode though.

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah the EMMI are probably the most challenging/frustrating part of the game. The mini map helps a little bit, but they have their own passage ways and their detector shines through walls so it's doesn't matter if you know where THEY are; they already know where YOU are and then you have no choice but to run. Using the Phantom Cloak only helps a little bit, but you're stuck moving slow so it's almost like the game is expecting you to fail multiple times until you get your bearings to map a successful route from entrance to exit which is hard to do because it may be multiple screens which means multiple attempts. Also, the timing of the counter move to being captured is pretty useless and maybe works 1% of the time.

Then doing the reverse and going on the attack after getting the Omega Cannon poses a similar challenge in mapping out the best path/area where you can put enough distance between you and the EMMI to destroy its blast shield so you can hit their vulnerable point. Sure, this can be done in two separate instances, which is probably the best strategy, but getting that blast shield off in one attack is super hard especially when it somehow heals itself and you have to start over from scratch.

3. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Agreed.

Just done in the first EMMI and am now up against the first "boss"

This game is hard. No difficulty setting and I've died loads

4. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    What you're playing right now is considered "Normal" mode. Good luck on the boss. I'm glad you're starting to gel with it. It starts to feel more fluid (and fun) as you unlock abilities even though the challenge level doesn't really go away. It adjusts accordingly as you grow stronger which is a pretty neat mechanic since you don't want to feel overpowered and bored right? :D

5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Gosh this game rules. Just got the
    cross bomb
    and I THINK I'm near the end of the game. Gonna try to go through the map and get all the items after I've gotten all the upgrades.

Metroidvanias are some of the best games for me. Just love getting better and better and unlocking things that were off limits before. Game is properly difficult before the hard mode, and several bosses have taken me a bunch of tries to beat but once you do it feels so rewarding.

6. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Still not beaten the first boss but I'm learning and making it to the third phase.

Should have it done tonight then I xan move on

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
  8. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Finally beaten the first boss.

On the plus side this is the first game I've stuck with in ages (so far)

Fingers crossed it sticks

9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I'm playing Metroid Fusion on GBA. Great game.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Though I won't be starting the game itself for awhile since I only just started Samus Returns back in August and (blah blah blah ceiling collapse, water damage, new apartment, 3DS needs to get replaced but might still work because Nintendonium blah blah), I did get to pick up my SE last week as well as receiving the Amiibo. Couldn't post pics until now because Facebook blah blah you can't get embed codes on mobile no matter what blah blah.

Really nice package, I must admit. As I mention in the embedded posts below, the steel book detail is very lovely and I'm definitely framing the Metroid series cards.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  11. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I've completed the game with 100% item collection a few minutes shy of 14 hours. Some of the speed booster required items were VERY difficult and frustrating to get, but I somehow pulled it off thanks to some YouTube tutorial guidance. The reward was the unlocking of all the items in the gallery which are 8 photos and 1 bonus photo.

As of right now, I only have 1 ending photo. Not sure how to get the others, but I have a feeling I need to play on Hard mode. Any hints without spoilers how to get all the ending photos?

12. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    How's everyone enjoying the game? @FatBurt

Over several days, I completed a Hard run that I tried to do as fast as I could. I did it just shy of 5 hours and unlocked two pieces of ending art. My goal was to try and do it under 4 hours to unlock all the Hard mode ending art.

The hardest part of Hard mode is that everything hits extra hard so the slightest hit of a powerful attack will knock off a whole energy tank or more, so the goal is "don't get hit" which made it less fun for me, but I'm glad I gave it a whirl and stuck with it. The biggest threat on Hard mode were the bosses. The EMMIs weren't too bad the 2nd time around.

I would like to see how fast I can do a Normal mode run but I'll probably take a little break from video games this week and maybe revisit this weekend.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  13. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm struggling with Kraid

I need to play on the big TV on the pro controller I think as the little joy con's are screwing.me over

Otherwise I still.love it

14. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

Accurate

15. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah, I agree. Small tip, there are two instances where Kraid can be countered in Phase 2. If you're not comfortable with the timing, just fall to the bottom and try again. Spam your beam button to destroy the slime balls coming out of his belly to get some energy and missile drops.

I've played in handheld mode maybe 2 or 3 times total since owning the system and I prefer the large screen and more comfortable pro controller. I don't think Nintendo designed the joy cons for adult hands in mind. IIRC, I played Luigi's Mansion 3 in bed and Origami King on a flight and in bed. Origami King requires motion controls so if you don't disconnect the joy cons, you're trying to do said game motion while also looking at the screen... so doing both is pretty miserable. Thankfully Dread doesn't have any motion controls (and someday maybe I'll get Skyward Sword on Switch and try that without motion controls as well.)

16. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Boy, the EMMIs really do ruin this game, don’t they? I’m only like an hour into it, but I have very little motivation to continue if this is the kinda **** I’ll have to put up with.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Going through Samus Returns to catch-up for Dread. Partway through Area 3 currently. Liking a lot of the new options and the Metroid battles have managed to include just enough variety to keep them interesting and challenging. The environmental design is also freaking unbelievable, the way they make a 2D corridor look like a logical extension/slice of the background (and the use of 3D to convey that depth).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
    christophero30 likes this.
  18. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I went back to playing Metroid Fusion on the GBA. It's very atmospheric. Reminds me of Super Metroid. (I don't have a Switch so I have to play the old ones)

tom likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I’m going back to my GBA Fusion save file after Returns before hitting Dread. Last I recall, I was pretty close to the end, but it has probably been close to a decade, if not longer, since I last made progress on it.

Actually kinda appropriate, given that the station in the game was recreating SR-388 biomes, as I recall.

After Dread, the plan is to do some Federation Force over the next year while the servers are still good and people can still get digital access to the game to put together teams. That leaves Prime 3, Other M and Zero Mission on my to-do list.

20. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I loved Samus Returns on the 3DS, and hearing that Dread improves upon it got me excited. That plus the added Rookie Mode difficulty option made me finally start it up. Take out the EMMIs and there’s a great game in here, but I don’t know. Persistent enemies are why I don’t play Resident Evil. In games that are about rewarding exploration, I don’t want that constant stress looming over me.

But I did kill an EMMI a little while after my previous post, and that frees up their territory for stress free exploration, which is nice. Once they’re dead, they’re dead, and you’re free to roam about the area that once filled you with, well, dread. I guess that’s the whole point. Just not sure if I like it.

Jedi Ben and TiniTinyTony like this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The EMMI essentially builds upon the SA-X from Fusion, with the SA-X itself a sort of retroactive evolution of Dark Samus (retroactive as, obviously, SA-X came first- even if you count the Metroid Prime as Dark Samus’s predecessor form, Fusion still came out 1 day earlier than Prime 1!).

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  22. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Well, I broke it I guess. Can’t progress but also can’t backtrack. Must’ve gotten to an area too soon before obtaining an upgrade required to progress. Oh well, wasn’t really enjoying it anyway. At least Kirby is only two weeks away.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    While I can’t speak to your specific problem, believing you are stuck in an area that you can’t escape or progress from is a common moment in Metroid games that 99% of the time actually do have a solution. Keep searching or try a walk through for clues/suggestions.

Happened to me in Fusion for the longest time (one reason why I haven’t finished it by now) and almost happened again Samus Returns.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  24. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    The thing about Dread, though, is I just can’t be bothered. I’m sure there is something I’m missing, but the game just isn’t good enough for me to put in the effort and figure out how to progress. The desire isn’t there. Game just never hooked me.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Going back to my earlier thought- does anyone else here have Federation Force? Want to try to get some experience in the multiplayer while 3DS titles are still available (in case anyone needs to get it to fill out a team) and while servers are still good.